Not open for further replies.

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
So I was at a juice bar a little bit ago and under their list of ‘boosts’ they offered CBD oil. Having seen hemp-derived CBD oil is all the rage as of lately, I’m curious if anyone is using it and what benefits are you seeing from it?

Uh yeah, some do. If you're willing to risk it go for it and let me know how it goes lol.

Uh yeah, some do. If you're willing to risk it go for it and let me know how it goes lol.
It’s trace amounts, and by trace I mean >0.3%.

even if the feds legalize THC, it's doubtful the FAA or state medical boards will allow it. most sane peeps do not want their airline pilot or neurosurgeon using any psychoactive substances when flying/slicing their family.

even if the feds legalize THC, it's doubtful the FAA or state medical boards will allow it. most sane peeps do not want their airline pilot or neurosurgeon using any psychoactive substances when flying/slicing their family.
You mean like Jim Beam?

You may have read there are trace amounts, and that might be true in some, or even most cases.

Let's take a look at the people labeling these bottles, their equipment, and their qualifications. What's that? You can't? Oh right, you can't. Why you'd trust them is beyond me.

Call me paranoid. My job is dealing with things that say they are something, when they're not. It's a real thing.

CBD is a non-psychoactive compound found in hemp, a version of the cannabis plant that is low in THC, the part of cannabis that gives pot its high. An FDA-approved drug for the treatment of seizures, Epidiolex, contains cannabis-derived CBD.Dec 23, 2018.

Granted a very narrow approval but isn't it better to be in front of what's coming?

You may have read there are trace amounts, and that might be true in some, or even most cases.

Let's take a look at the people labeling these bottles, their equipment, and their qualifications. What's that? You can't? Oh right, you can't. Why you'd trust them is beyond me.

Call me paranoid. My job is dealing with things that say they are something, when they're not. It's a real thing.
I think you’ve misconstrued my whole post. I haven’t had CBD, none, nada. I’m just curious if anyone here uses it and what benefits if any they experience from it.

Might be nothing more than a crock of **** for all I know. The idea was just sparked when I saw it being offered at a local juice bar.

Right on, I get what you're asking.

My point was that CBD oil can (and often does) contain THC, so why would anyone here be using it?

Right on, I get what you're asking.

My point was that CBD oil can (and often does) contain THC, so why would anyone here be using it?
I dunno, I just heard the so-called benefits that can be had from it.

Better sleep, reduces anxiety and stress etc.

I dunno, I just heard the so-called benefits that can be had from it.

Better sleep, reduces anxiety and stress etc.
Fairly well accepted here in Colorado. There are CDB shops in places that cannot have virtually any THC. < .03 which is not considered a controlled substance. I know it's the FAA and the Federal Gov so pilots should refrain. But time do change is we forget the racism and misinfo of the the last 100 years. There is a max for booze right that's not zero?

Fairly well accepted here in Colorado. There are CDB shops in places that cannot have virtually any THC. < .03 which is not considered a controlled substance. I know it's the FAA and the Federal Gov so pilots should refrain. But time do change is we forget the racism and misinfo of the the last 100 years. There is a max for booze right that's not zero?
Even though the FAA may not accept it, is it really any different than alcohol? I don’t see how it would be.

Even though the FAA may not accept it, is it really any different than alcohol? I don’t see how it would be.
Part of my point. The police here are saying impartment levels if very tough with cannabis (or prescriptions) comes down to police skills at the roadside.

I was recently at the airline lounge at DFW and overheard a dude who runs a company in Hong Kong that produces CBD. He said he has a very expensive machine that removes the THC and he gets it tested in the US to prove it to his customers.

Yeah, he's a hippie Billionaire...

Last edited:
No hemp products allowed. Company policy.

:crazy:
CBD is a non-psychoactive compound found in hemp, a version of the cannabis plant that is low in THC, the part of cannabis that gives pot its high. An FDA-approved drug for the treatment of seizures, Epidiolex, contains cannabis-derived CBD.Dec 23, 2018.

Granted a very narrow approval but isn't it better to be in front of what's coming?

Impossible. Anything marijuana is a Schedule I drug of the most hostile kind... right there with heroin and meth.

I was in VN during the most prevalent years of drug usage. I simply knew it kills brain cells, so both of mine said no.

I have been doing some reading up on it in recent weeks. It is now legal in all 50 states (only recently), with some restrictions in several states. Here in my own state of NC, the THC level has to be less than .03%. There are several online sources that claim THC free, and some that are certified by 3rd parties, but there's no way to be sure of any of their claims. You can fake 3rd party testing claims. Me personally, I wouldn't be as concerned about THC levels as many of you, because I'm not a pilot and have to worry about my medical, and my employer doesn't do drug testing. But if I noticed any effect even remotely close to a high, that would be my last time using that particular product.

The problem is that it is an unregulated industry so far. There has supposedly been a quite a bit of research over the last few years, but who's doing the research? Based on what I've been able to understand, my two biggest concerns would be THC levels (especially for pilots and for those who are subject to work-related drug testing), and just wasting my money on a product that contained less-than-advertised or even no CBD (the stuff is not cheap). As to the claims made, I think there is some validity to some of them, but I'm sure some of the claims are also grossly exaggerated or there is no benefit at all. There are simply too many people who are saying they've been helped by CBD to say that it is snake oil in all cases.

I know a stand-up guy who has struggled with sleep for years. Difficulty going to sleep, waking up multiple times during the night, etc. He's tried diet changes, medications, and just about anything he could (and his own Dad is a MD). He did his own research and decided to try CBD oil. Within a couple of weeks, he was sleeping through the night, soundly, every night. He still has trouble sometimes getting to sleep, but once he does, he is getting a good night's rest. CBD doesn't make you drowsy, but apparently it can help your nervous system relax enough to allow you to get into deep sleep and stay there once you are asleep. I don't know any personal examples of other claims.

I would question a "boost" you could get in a juice drink. I'm doubtful a single dose like that would have any positive effect.

It is very different from alcohol. Among other things the duration of the effects of a given amount of alcohol on any individual person are quite accurately predictable. Not so with cannabis apparently. And its not because of lack of data, its because it varies so much by individual.

This is one of the big emerging issues in jurisdictions, such as Canada, that have recently legalized cannabis. I expect it will all get resolved in the courts, and only the lawyers will get rich on it.

:crazy:

Impossible. Anything marijuana is a Schedule I drug of the most hostile kind... right there with heroin and meth.
That was an faa quote not me talking try Google before attack. The dates are even there. Very limited like I said and it was made possible by the farm bill.

That was an faa quote not me talking try Google before attack. The dates are even there. Very limited like I said and it was made possible by the farm bill.

I was being sarcastic.....

CBD has lots of benefits that I would love to take advantage of, but being that I am in a DOT random drug testing program, I don't want to take a chance with ingesting any THC.

I give it to my 12 year old dog. She moves around a lot better with it than without.

Fairly well accepted by whom? Racism and misinformation, like how it was supposed to pay for schools? Meanwhile cops are finding high school kids in parking lots, so high they can't remember their name but CBD is safe. I guess it keeps the student teacher ratio low if the kids are out smoking pot If you need something for your seizures then don't fly. Pretty simple, but don't worry it isn't addictive or a gateway drug, best way to stay ahead of it.

Thread locked because certain members can't behave themselves and keep it out of the spin zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back