• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Wondering who locks their hangar. Here in Juneau I know folks that lock there hangar and those that don't. Juneau is a fairly secure airport meaning you need a key card to enter GA hangars and parking.

I know several folks that leave their hangar open or unlocked. They have no problem with letting friends enter and borrow tools or supplies if needed. That is as long as they leave a note saying "borrowed your rivet gun or grabbed a few adel clamps will return or replace"

It's all about supporting the GA community. The hangar I rent is left unlocked and I have no problem with folks using hardware or tools I have if it helps them out.

What brought question up was today I walked over to a friends hangar to use his shear and bender, and smelled gas. I looked around and saw his gascalator was dripping and there was a pool of fuel under his Scout. I went back to the hangar I am renting and grabbed an oil pan, went back to Joes hangar and put the pan under the leak and shut the fuel off. Texted Joe (who is in Tucson until Sunday) to let him know what I did.

He gave me the :thumbsup::thumbsup: and said thanks Bill.

It depends on if I am in the mood for someone to steal the plane or avionics or not.

I was at a party and a guy I didn't know was talking about his home security business. He casually asked me if I lock my house when I"m gone. :yikes:

I don't always, but I told him I not only lock and bolt the doors, but I lock the pit bull in the bedroom so the snake doesn't eat him.

I lock mine. I leave it unlocked if i am out for a couple hour flight. Important people have keys

Any Friend that I would loan a tool to already knows how to get into my hangar, (or the one I had)

I lock the hangar, but am fairly generous in giving out the combination if someone needs tools or hardware.

Lock == always.

Allow access? Yes.

My a&p and friends know the codes.
Same here, but friends and A&P have keys to the hangar. FTG is not secure airport, no fences or anything. Feel free to wander around.

I lock my car and my house, so I can’t imagine not locking a hangar, especially with tens of thousands of dollars worth of assets inside. Too many people with bad intentions out there.

1" steel pins lock the hydraulic door, my garage door auto locks with a slide pin when closed, and my man door has lock and deadbolt. Garage door has a keypad and man door has a keypad lock box. Nobody has the codes and I can count who I'd give them to on one hand.

I don't lock my house (can't) or my car (at least near home, when traveling it's a different story). I lock my hangar because it's shared and I can't choose for my hangar mates (though when waiting for a new key I asked them to leave it unlocked so I could get in and they didn't have a problem with it).

Airport authority requires that hangars be locked, with the lock they provide (and for which they have a key). Even if they didn't, yeah, lock it. Always. I don't personally know and trust every single person who has access to the airport, or might be able to sneak in.

My hangar is at Reno (Class-C) and I need a RFID badge to get through the gate. My hangar is locked but the FBO has a key.

It depends on if I am in the mood for someone to steal the plane or avionics or not.
Heck I think I have taken the key out of the ignition only on overnight cross country flights even then I sometimes leave it in such as Gustavis or Sitka. Maybe I'm just to trusting, locks only keep out the honest folks out.

So far the votes are 22 to 1 on locking hangar. I'm not surprised, I guess I'm to trusting. Only time I lock the house is when I leave town and most of the time the keys for my truck are on the floor or under the floor matt.

Hangar locked. Security alarm system installed and on. Our hangar has here three planes. Our club plane-182. Anothe guy has a lance-doesn’t fly much. Then an MU2. Guy with the lance is also an electrician so he is likes to do that stuff.

Suppose you are in a shed, no front wall?
What then?

I hangar at a Class C with gates and guards and I lock my hangar whenever the plane is in it. When I'm flying for a few hours and the wind is calm, I'll leave the doors open.

Maybe.....

26087d9323cc02de4ed8f730c44a4e89.jpg

What about if the hangar tenant down the row locks the hangar for ya by rolling his door against yours so hard it bends the locking pin so bad ya can't get into yer own hangar? Does this count as "locking one's hangar?" Asking for a friend.

When I was at a public airport, I always locked the hangar. At home now, if we're around, it's quite likely some door is unlocked (since if you can get into the house, nothing will stop you from getting in the hangar the locks all face the other way.

I lock my hangar. On nice days I do leave the hangar door (the big one, not the door in the door) open while I'm out flying, but all the expensive stuff (my baby) is with me :).

Does anyone lock the hangar door AND the airplane door?

Such was required at VKX (probably still is, I guess, but I've been long gone).

Locking aircraft doors is sort of pointless in most cases. Especially if you've got it parked in a hangar with a toolbox.

I did not grow up in Mayberry. Maybe yall did. Everything locked all the time. Always.

I always get a kick out noticing on the true crime (usually murder) shows they always have at least one person saying “this was a small town where we never locked our doors, until this happened”, but invariably the police turn their attention to the Hoedown brothers, who were known thieves and were well known to the police...(usually they weren’t the culprits) but then you think “wait, they had at least a few known burglars and bad actors, yet the god folks didn’t lock their doors?”. I mean they were “known” means they had a reputation for break ins, and that means multiple...

It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Does anyone lock the hangar door AND the airplane door?
We always lock the airplane door when we are not in it. And we lock the hangar door if we are going to be away for more than a few hours.

If I am taking a short flight I leave it open, but it is locked when I leave the airport for the day..
I don’t lock the plane inside the hangar just Incase someone decides to physically break into my plane. Avionics aren’t that new and would probably give me a good reason to upgrade my panel.

And what does the FAA require?

(or is it "suggest"? I don't recall which.)

I guess y'all don't have remote controls for your hangar doors.

Back