Seeking a Flight Planning Software... that plays nice with Dynon...

AGLyme

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Dear All,

New pilot, new plane (Flight Design CTLSi, w/Dynon HDX). Starting to fly distances now and it is time I invest in a flight planning program such as ForeFlight. I love my Windows based "Surface" laptop, it is light and has my whole life/business on it.

I noted the flight planning companies aren't supporting Windows. I would be grateful for some guidance on flight planner choice (for ex: Foreflight vs FlyQ, a Seattle Avionics product) and do I have to invest in a new iPad? Is there a decent company out there that is Windows based and is compatible with Dynon?

Thank you in advance. Andrew

do I have to invest in a new iPad?
Many used iPads are on the market and will do the job just fine.

Make sure it is a WiFi+Cellular model. While you don't have to add it to your data plan (unless you want to), only this version is equipped with the GPS receiver. WiFi only do not have it. GPS reception in some form is necessary for the moving map to work.

MB, I was afraid of that... Aggie, that's good advice, thank you...

https://www.iflygps.com/ has an Apple, Android and Windows version. I believe they have Dynon support built-in. Just confirmed Dynon support: "
iFly GPS 10.3.8 is now released, which has full support for the Dynon - including ADSB, AHRS, and Flight Plan sharing."

Last edited:
Thanks Challenged...

I have a dual Dynon SV1000T system and do flight plan transfers from my iPhone with Foreflight. You can also load from the screen to the FF, if desired. My old iPad Mini 2 is no longer supported and I don't plan to purchase another.

I believe you can do the same with FltPlanGo, which is free.

EDIT: All the supported apps a listed here.

Time to upgrade to an Apple.
"upgrade" and "Apple" don't belong in the same sentence! There are plenty of Android EFBs, and I'm sure that ForeFlight will port to Android, to capture that part of the market (now that they have Garmin money behind them.)

How does ForeFlight have Garmin money behind them?

The Apple Op Sys has served ForeFlight very well since the beginning. The only thing that would motivate ForeFlight to support multiple operating systems would be if it brought them enough additional business to fund such development headaches with a substantial additional profit.

Before retirement most of my career was spent in development and marketing of automation software tools in a time when there were multiple viable operating systems. Porting to a different operating system is an expensive headache that requires a SUBSTANTIAL amount of projected potential new business in order to justify the endeavor. From where I sit, the Apple works quite well as the defacto standard EFB ForeFlight. To justify a port, the other Op Sys must bring some significant new features to the table in order to compel the market to make such a move. That motivation will have to be much more than the fact that some users like the arrangement of the icons or higher screen resolution or some such. It is the market and projected potential new business that dictates such a shift, NOT an individuals personal preference.

Last edited:
Seattle Avionics Voyager is a Windows based program and supports flight plan export to Dynon. You can Google the instructions on the Dynon site and try out the free trial of Voyager.

Back