Up grading a C-175

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
1959 CESSNA 175

Think there is any profit margin to be had?

What's the resale value when done?

By upgrade do you mean putting in a non-geared motor. I think that is the main reason the prices on them are where they are.

By upgrade do you mean putting in a non-geared motor.
What else? there are several STCs to replace the engine, with either a 0-360/180 horse or a IO-360 Continental 220 horse, there is even one for the PZL Franklin 220.

I've flown the Franklin 220 in a C175. That plane was a beast.

Vref for that plane with a 0 time 180HP swap is 39250, subtract 20/hour for every hour on the engine.

Theoretically, if you could do it for less than that then yes. But that gives you a $24000 budget to buy the engine and have it installed, plus the time value of money while it is in the shop, and the risk that the market will crater while you wait.

If I was an A&P with an O-360 on the shelf, I would consider it at $10K airframe cost. If you have to buy the engine, there is a 0 time O-360 on Barnstormers for $22.5K. Plus STC and Labor. Even at $10k airframe that profit margin is not worth the risk.

You tell us.

Too bad the Frank 220 is no longer a viable swap.

We have a couple of Franklin fans at my home field. They just converted a 175 to a taildragger with a Franklin 220. They say it is a very capable aircraft.

I question the engine choice, but it ain't my money.

WE did the Frank 220 conversion plus a baggage compartment tank. Due to the learning curve it took over 100 hours to do. I test flew it with myself and 15 gallons of gas. As stated it was beast. in a 20kt wind using 20 degrees of flap it got off in about 150'. Cruised at around 145 mph IAS down low. Climb was off the charts.

I owned a share of one than had the O-360 and it was an awesome plane. With a low-time engine and a nice interior, the group valued it at $38k. It would take a lot of work and money to make the one you’re looking at this nice. I think MarkH said it best... not worth it.

Easily could sell those seats with that fabric for 10k!! Love it!!

What else? there are several STCs to replace the engine, with either a 0-360/180 horse or a IO-360 Continental 220 horse, there is even one for the PZL Franklin 220.
I saw an STC for an O470 as well.

the STC from Stoots is $15,600. Plus engine and prop. I just asked them yesterday while looking at the same plane. for me, it wasn't worth it, but Im not an A&P. I also wasn't looking to flip it.

the STC from Stoots is $15,600. Plus engine and prop. I just asked them yesterday while looking at the same plane. for me, it wasn't worth it, but Im not an A&P. I also wasn't looking to flip it.
Building it for yourself is the only good reason to do it.

Building it for yourself is the only good reason to do it.

I agree. but it put the plane outside my acquisition budget. I'm still looking at 175's. Im not afraid of the GO-300 if its been run right. and who knows, maybe down the road, I can save up the pennies to put a 360 in it!

Our glider club has one with an O-470. Great towplane

Our glider club has one with an O-470. Great towplane
They are a versatile aircraft with a very tough airframe, problem being all the other updates it requires to bring them up to today's standards. Most still have junk radios, old style gyros, venturies, old paint, opaque windows, and stinky upholstery, plus no restoration would be complete with out a stall cuff, and VGs, a "Y" yoke, and late model 172 instrument panel

Back