Recommend a goal aircraft.

I have a Cherokee 140 in your price range also a Zenith 601 HD taildragger with a 130 horsepower Honda conversion. Both those well under $30k. Might also have a American Yankee AA1. All flying aircraft in annual.
Pretty sure you didn't read his wishlist.

My Debonair could maybe do it. It depends what is included on the $120 per hour. How many hours are you going to fly per year. My hangar and insurance alone run around $4700. I’ve spent $1200 for owner assisted annuals, and $2400 for the shop to do it all. This year I’ll be adding ADSB for around $2000, it seams I’m always spending a few thousand ever year for something. Mag overhauls, starter adapter, spark plugs, instrument overhauls, etc.

There are years I’ve been at $120 per hour all in, and years it’s been closer to $200.

I can also run Mogas at $3.00 a gallon, if I pull it back to 135-140 knots that’s around 10 gal/hr. 12 gph gets me 150 knots. Or I can run 100 ll, it’s $3.80 last I checked. I probably use 75% Mogas .

I can fill the mains, 44 useable, and have around 800 lbs left, but 800 lbs would have to be forward of the baggage department. 600 lbs in the seats I could put about 90lbs in the baggage area.

Pretty sure you didn't read his wishlist.

I think I responded in this thread to a post I read in another thread.

Edit Yes, this was supposed to be a response to the post
"[Wanted] Time builder in Southeast US"
in the classified airplanes forum.

Last edited:
I've seen several recommendations for Cardinals and 182s. The 182s will be a bit faster, but my Cardinal RG is way more economical and will carry 700 pounds full fuel (50 gallons). On my cross-country flights I average from takeoff to touchdown (including fuel spent for taxi and run-up) just less than 7.5 GPH if I fly in the low to mid 10,000's. It is closer to 8/8.5 if I average around 8000 feet. That's happening between 125 and 130 kph true. And the downward visibility without the wing struts is phenomenal.

Back