The POA Pinewood Derby

StevieTimes

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StevieTimes
Does anyone have access to a Pinewood Derby ramp?

I thought it might be interesting to hold a POA Pinewood Derby; adhering to official scout rules, and all that. You'd buy your own kit off of Amazon, ebay, wherever.

I was thinking the person with the ramp would get all entries by a certain date; and you won't get your entry back, it stays enshrined in a POA Pinewood Derby museum forever.

It would be hard to be completely fair, because the ramp runner would have to graphite people's wheels after so many runs...? Frankly, I don't know if that's true; maybe you could just ship your car with the axles already graphited up, and they'd last however many runs are necessary. I have no experience here.

The reason I'm throwing this out there; at my wife's work, they are having an employee Pinewood Derby. They are having a stock and unlimited class. We are shooting for the stock class. I am finding woodworking is harder than I thought it would be. People make beautiful cars I'm seeing; I am not.

Pinewood Derby car.jpg

I do have access to a nice aluminum PWD ramp and finish line, but after 5 years of running the event, I'm happily passing the torch over for next year's race.

One thing I'd love to try for unlimited is using a automatic-discharge PFD CO2 cylinder, somehow triggered to drop water on the inflation trigger when the car starts to move forward.

I was thinking about adding tiny batteries and making neon underglow.

86F04F1A-46F0-474E-99D0-CD1B693DDEC0.jpeg Here’s my entry. Compliant w rules?

I was just about to toss these beauties of form over function from my boy's brief stint as a scout. Maybe I'll hang on to them.

F7EeYE6l.jpg

I have 3 boys. We made 15 cars. Never won once. You couldn’t pay me enough to make another one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back