4000' Tour of Eastern Shore in a 737

mcdewey

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I was a passenger coming back from LA yesterday (SWA541), doing the typical loop around the top of Baltimore (BWI), when we suddenly were turned off to the east. We flew out of the Bravo to the edge of the Mode C veil, over the top of Chestertown at 4000', then turned back in for landing on 28.

It was pretty cool to see the sights, but typically I'm flying right through that area at about the same altitude (3500 or 4500) in a LSA or a 172. GA traffic was probably light since winds were gusting 31 kts at BWI, but I'm especially going to keep an eye out when coming through there. I'm not a hand-wringing weenie, but it was interesting that they sent a large commercial jet in that area.

upload_2019-4-4_10-36-27.pngupload_2019-4-4_10-45-15.png

This time of year, BWI traffic doesn't scare me as much as the Eagles soaring at 2,900' and the Ospreys down around 1,100': for some reason they refuse to comply with the 2020 mandate!

Airline flights in Class E <10k, outside of areas where transponders are required, happen more than you would think. It's a good thing most of us have transponders anyway.

It’s true...birds are way more scary than airliners. I hardly ever find 737s doing lazy circles at the approach end of the runway.

Airline flights in Class E <10k, outside of areas where transponders are required, happen more than you would think. It's a good thing most of us have transponders anyway.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it looks like the 737 stayed inside the mode-C veil.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it looks like the 737 stayed inside the mode-C veil.

Sorry, I was the one who misinterpreted, but my point still stands. I doubt anyone went out of their way to keep them inside the veil. To add to my previous point, some time ago Washington Center was sending airline flights from the NYC airports to destinations all over VA and NC at altitudes below 10k.

Back