GPS Problem on April 6, 2019

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
Has anyone already discussed the problem with the GPS System date rollover that will occur Saturday April 6, 2019?

The problem arises because when GPS was invented in 1980, the date and time was represented by a counter that could only count forward a maximum of 1024 weeks, or about 19.7 years.

After 1024 weeks, this counter ‘rolls over’ to zero and this can potentially cause a satnav or other system to shut down.

The first rollover occurred in August 1999 - when comparatively few GPS devices were in operation.

But the second rollover will occur at 1am GMT on April 6, 2019.

FWIW, my ancient KLN90B still works; seems unaffected by the April 6 "rollover".

You must have the last KLN90 still in an airplane..!!!! :lol::lol:

I use to fly a plane that had one, but that was something like 18-19 years ago.

You must have the last KLN90 still in an airplane..!!!! :lol::lol:

I use to fly a plane that had one, but that was something like 18-19 years ago.
It's just another exhibit in my flying museum of archaic avionics. VFR only; the database is from the first Bush 43 Administration. It's mainly there to amuse passengers with groundspeed and ETA data, while I use Foreflight for primary VFR nav.

It looks like it might have been acting screwy yesterday, though -- 161 knots GS in level cruising flight at 9,500' in a fixed-gear 172?! No, it was working fine; just a nice, smooth tailwind. :D

KLN90B.jpg

Back