wx briefer

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
Im a student pilot but dont have any experience calling for a weather briefing
what do you do?
what if you dont want to make a flight plan becuase your just flying nearby or in the pattern?

You will find the briefers at 1-800wxbrief to be friendly and helpful. When you call, you will be asked for the ID of the state you are calling from, so your call should be routed to someone familiar with the area (no guarantee). Just tell them what you want to do. There is no requirement that you file a flight plan for a local flight...the purpose of flight plans is to get the search-and-rescue people on their way if you do file a flight plan for a non-local trip and do not close your flight plan.

Bob

For simple pattern work:

1. Call 1-800-WX-BRIEF
2. Choose the option for a briefer, and your state.
3. "Hi. I'm the student-pilot of N1234A. I want to go up for some pattern work today, and would like a briefing. I'm at Booney Farms Executive airport, KBFE, and I want to do this around 3PM today, or 2100Z. I won't be leaving the airport traffic area."

Last edited:
You can also learn to self-brief using the web tools at 1800wxbrief.com. you are expected to make yourself aware of all appropriate WX and NOTAM info before every flight.

For simple pattern work:

1. Call 1-800-WX-BRIEF
2. Choose the option for a briefer, and your state.
3. "Hi. I'm the student-pilot of N1234A. I want to go up for some pattern work today, and would like a briefing."

... for a local flight originating from Knnn.

It helps the briefer if you have filled out a VFR flight plan form. It has all the info they need, in the order they expect, for them to enter it into their system to generate the brief. You don't need every single box filled out if you don't intend to actually file a plan. If it's a local flight, tell them the expected radius of your flight, "local flight, I won't get farther than 15 miles from Kxxx".

Heck, if you’re just going up for pattern work, 98% of a standard brief will be irrelevant and I wouldn’t even bother with it.

1. Radar—Check
2. METAR— Check
3. No TFR at airport—Check

Go fly!

The briefer follows a set format. Take a piece of paper and make notes. Ask questions, or have him/her slow down, or whatever you need - the briefing is for YOU.

1. Adverse Conditions
2. VFR Flight Not Recommended
3. Weather Synopsis
4. Current Conditions
5. Enroute Forecast
6. Destination Forecast
7. Winds Aloft
8. Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs)
9. ATC Delays

I used to have a “cheat sheet” that I would use to read off to start my conversation with the briefer when I was a student. I also used it to file my flight plan after the brief. I got it from Purdue. I’ll be back home Fri and post it here. If I forget and don’t, feel free to remind me here or by PM.

The briefer follows a set format. Take a piece of paper and make notes. Ask questions, or have him/her slow down, or whatever you need - the briefing is for YOU.

1. Adverse Conditions
2. VFR Flight Not Recommended
3. Weather Synopsis
4. Current Conditions
5. Enroute Forecast
6. Destination Forecast
7. Winds Aloft
8. Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs)
9. ATC Delays

I think they are required to say that even if it's "better than 5000 and 5." (Which I heard on on ATIS for the first time in either a long time, or ever, 2 weeks ago)

Heck, if you’re just going up for pattern work, 98% of a standard brief will be irrelevant and I wouldn’t even bother with it.

1. Radar—Check
2. METAR— Check

Go fly!
But it never hurts to practice...

I tend to get into a convo about this and that, good places to eat, sights to see etc...... If it's a slow day, why not? I've had them tell me that X time you should try and avoid this or that place due to traffic, best time to hit Customs and so on. They got lots of good info if you just ask.

1. Radar—Check
2. METAR— Check

Go fly!
Don't forget NOTAMS!!!

I used to have a “cheat sheet” that I would use to read off to start my conversation with the briefer when I was a student. I also used it to file my flight plan after the brief. I got it from Purdue. I’ll be back home Fri and post it here. If I forget and don’t, feel free to remind me here or by PM.
That would be awesome thank you

Have your CFI demonstrate one, on speakerphone. (After all, he/she is demonstrating all kinds of things, why not this?)
Then, before the next flight next time, you do all the talking. Again on speakerphone.

I was taught and still do call WXBRIEF before pre-flight for a VFR flight briefing. For one it is a record of due diligence preparing for a flight. Secondly you get any up to date notices of airport closures, VOR outages, weather changes and TFRs in case one did not pop up on your electronic device.

Last weekend went to do a 45 minute flight to visit my cousin where he keeps his planes at. Briefer said the airport runway was closed and was posted a half hour prior to my call. Certainly anything can happen after takeoff but nice to know beforehand current conditions.

Student pilot here, if weather is iffy or changing I like to call and use their website brief. Otherwise I just use their website. My cfi told me their website keeps record of the brief, which will help you prove you received a wx brief in the event of an incident. Usually when I call they quickly look up my name and see my online brief so I don’t have to repeat all the details to them again. Radio FSS for in flight updates and try doing a Pirep if it is info other pilots may be interested in. Like confirming cloud level and turbulence forcasted.

Back