Bendixking AeroFlight (KI 300) and AeroCruze (KFC 230)

[...] I am very interested in what Garmin is announcing tomorrow [...]

Stolen from another thread at PoA:

"Garmin GPS 175 and GNX 375 — Compelling Navigators Offering WAAS/LPV Approaches and Optional ADS-B In/Out . LPV approach capability priced for your aircraft. Designed to use your existing instruments and autopilots. Add a built-in ADS-B In/Out transponder with the GNX 375. Starting at only $4,995."
http://ms.spr.ly/6018T1VOO

"G3X Touch flight displays for certificated piston singles. ...$7,995 for a single 7-inch display and $9,995 for a 10.6-inch display"

http://ms.spr.ly/6012T1V3e

Frankly, I think that BK either needs to massively step up their game or leave the GA market. This 'a little bit here and there' approach just burns money, IMHO.

Frankly, I think that BK either needs to massively step up their game or leave the GA market. This 'a little bit here and there' approach just burns money, IMHO.

Yeah, today's Garmin announcements represent several more nails in BK's coffin.

I also noted that the new GPS 175 and GNX 375 just happen to be the same size as the KLN 89B and the KLN 94...

Yeah, today's Garmin announcements represent several more nails in BK's coffin.

I also noted that the new GPS 175 and GNX 375 just happen to be the same size as the KLN 89B and the KLN 94...

Can’t agree more. Garmin appears to have made a gps that fits in to the panel space vacated by kln 89 and 94. They know their market. BK is still trying to figure out how to compete against the 430.

Thanks Steve. As much as I hold out some hope for BK, Garmin's steady annoucements of new GA products creates more and more cause for looking at the alternatives.

Can’t agree more. Garmin appears to have made a gps that fits in to the panel space vacated by kln 89 and 94. They know their market. BK is still trying to figure out how to compete against the 430.

And they've never figured that one out. They should have done what Avidyne did and made a slide-in 430 replacement.

In fact, if nothing else, they should have made a series of three GPS units: One each to replace the 430, the 530, and a KLN 89B/94 + KX155. That would have covered a large portion of the GA fleet.

Of course, they would also have to make the UI not suck... But a good UI on a touchscreen + button navigator that was a slide-in replacement for any of those would have likely been a smashing success. Instead, they came out with a crappy UI in a unit that wasn't a slide-in for anything, and nobody bought it. (OK, not "nobody" but after saying this for years, I just finally had someone report that they had seen a single KSN 770 in the wild.)

I think they really missed the boat not having a kx155 replacement. Although, a 430 slide-in replacement would have been successful as well. There are so many of those units out there. It would have been a no brainer for an owner to use a BK kx155 replacement over pulling a radio stack apart and wiring in a new tray for a different unit. I think a kx155 sized gps/nav/com would have been a 430 killer even with a smaller screen. But what do I know.

I have a kx155 as my #2 nav/com. It is starting to have issues and now there is no support or parts available to repair. So I am looking at my options. Actually, I am looking at my option. I noticed Garmin's new nav/com is curiously the same size as the kx155. Once again, they know their market.

Best of luck to BK. Competition is a good thing.

What new Nav/Com? I thought the latest Garmin releases were GPS with neither Nav nor Com..?

And they're the size of the KLN 89B/94, not the KX155. They're also the size of the GX series.

I was referring to the GNC 255. It was the Garmin replacement of the SL 30. I mistakenly referred to it as being new but it was released a year ago or so. My understanding is it is the size of the kx155 but will require a new tray and wiring.

I was referring to the GNC 255. It was the Garmin replacement of the SL 30. I mistakenly referred to it as being new but it was released a year ago or so. My understanding is it is the size of the kx155 but will require a new tray and wiring.

Ah, those.

They were released in January 2013.

Apparently my understanding is quite off on the nav/com. New is relative I guess.

Very. While they came out in 2013, that's still 20+ years newer than the most popular competitive product. Heck, Garmin (Apollo) has come out with new ones and discontinued them since the KX155A came out.

That might be the last new pure nav/com ever developed, I think it’s nav/com/gps from now on.

You might think, but with Garmin's new GPS-only units, there's suddenly a market for Nav/Coms again. Plus, it won't be the last. In another 10-15 years, they'll need to have a new one just to have access to a new supply of components.

Hi Folks,

We definitely have some news coming out of AEA and Sun N Fun.

First off, if anyone is at Sun N Fun stop by the BK booth and I'll be there through Thursday, so you can put a face to the name.

Secondly, we have announced 2 new partnerships with Avidyne and Tru Trak.

Lastly, for news on already announced products. The AeroCruze 230 STC will be submitted later month, or early May which sets us up for sales and installs to start in June.

Secondly, we have announced 2 new partnerships with Avidyne and Tru Trak.

Steve,

I'm a little confused at what's going on. You guys are doing a lot of re-branding, selling everyone else's gear. What is the advantage to me of buying, for example, an "AeroPoint 200" instead of going straight to JPI for an EDM-900?

Steve,
Thanks for the update on the AeroCruze 230. For the STC later this month or early May, will that cover the Piper PA-46 or will that be even later?

The KI 300 received it's TSO 10/13/18 (finally) and we are just waiting on the STC for the autopilot adapter (KA 310), which is expected Q1 2019. You will need the KA 310 to drive a legacy autopilot.

The KFC 230 is scheduled to be released Q1 2019 for upgrades to existing King autopilots, and new installations will be available about 3 months after the initial release. The airframes included on the initial STC are listed below. More airframes will be added to the STC every 3 months or so.

Steve,

We're in Q2 now... What happened to the KFC 230 and KA 310 releases?

Steve,

Can you update us on the Aerovue Touch? Has it been released yet?

Steve,

I'm a little confused at what's going on. You guys are doing a lot of re-branding, selling everyone else's gear. What is the advantage to me of buying, for example, an "AeroPoint 200" instead of going straight to JPI for an EDM-900?
Good question. I would also like to know.

Steve,

We're in Q2 now... What happened to the KFC 230 and KA 310 releases?

The AeroCruze 230 (KFC 230) STC paperwork will be submitted first week in May, and we're expecting the STC to be completed by June pending the FAA. It's being tested on a Bonanza, and the PA 46 is on the second group of airframes to be added to the STC.

I haven't got any updated information on the KA 310, and I will update as soon as I get anything.

As far as the AeroVue Touch, I do have a couple updates. The experimental version of the AeroVue Touch (xVue) has been released, and the certified version is expecting an STC this summer. We also just announced an integrated flight deck using the AeroVue Touch last week. https://www.bendixking.com/en/products/aerovue-touch-integrated-flight-deck

You can see a photo of the IFD at the link below.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6523352382934384640

The thought behind integrating other industry leaders is to create an inclusive system architecture that give customers options when upgrading their cockpit. By collaborating we can create better integration between other folks in the industry.

Sorry for the delay on getting answers out, I've been busy with shows.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve:

I wish you all the best of luck in this endeavor!

For those interested about our partnerships and autopilots, we're is hosting a webinar April 23rd 6pm MDT.

Andrew Barker, President and CEO of TruTrak will be presenting with Jeff Simon, President of Where2 Interactive and creator of SocialFlight about autopilot proficiency and general best practices with autopilots. It will be a great informative session for those looking to learn more about autopilots.

You can register using the link below!

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4578463573115347467

Well, there's at least ONE KI-300 sold then. ;) I think there will be a few more, mostly in the 36 Bonanza crowd, since Garmin chose to shaft them by certifying the GFC 600 ($$$) and not the 500 on the 36s. But with a single servo overhaul for the KFC150 costing as much as an entire GFC500 system, there is almost no way we'll keep ours and buy a KI-300.

My guess is that Garmin will get the GFC500 certified for the 36 at some point, just to stick it to BK

Steve, I have a Piper Autocontrol IIIb autopilot (my understanding is that this is identical to Century II). Can the KI 300 talk to my autopilot to maintain altitude? The Garmin G5 cannot, and I am wondering if this is an area where your product as an advantage.

View attachment 69731

I must not be describing my avionics correctly. I do have the ability to control pitch. I see no other labels other than Piper Autocontrol, so I assumed it was part of the same system. I believe what you’re saying, so I must already have the pitch-only system alongside the Autocontrol IIIb. So, I’ll reword my question and ask if the KI-300 can talk to that altitude-hold system. I have been told that the G5 cannot. I’m including a picture of that part of my panel.

The G5 will talk to your AP for heading, localizer and GPSS. I have no idea if it will talk to that standalone altitude hold.

Folks,

I'm hosting a webinar on SocialFlight with Jeff Simon to talk about the AeroNav products and answer questions about our partnership with Avidyne. Feel free to tune in if you have any questions or are just looking for information

Thanks for stopping in Steve.

Can you address the partnership with Sandia? It sounds like the KI-300 is a rebranded Sandia 340A, and there have been some significant problems with that unit, as shown below. Is the KI-300 different from the Sandia 340A? Has it been tested thoroughly to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen? And where is the KA-310 in the process? Last we heard from you it was due to be released in Q1, and we're only a couple of weeks from Q3 now.

22BF5406-C340-4227-9D9F-28C3592FB4B4.jpeg

Thanks for stopping in Steve.

Can you address the partnership with Sandia? It sounds like the KI-300 is a rebranded Sandia 340A, and there have been some significant problems with that unit, as shown below. Is the KI-300 different from the Sandia 340A? Has it been tested thoroughly to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen? And where is the KA-310 in the process? Last we heard from you it was due to be released in Q1, and we're only a couple of weeks from Q3 now.

We are going to try and focus on the AeroNav units and the Avidyne partnership, but I'll get back to you with to answer concerns on the KI 300. Very valid considering the picture above.

I have owned 4 Quartto units and 3 340A. My first 340 looked like the one above so I got another then another. This last unit seems to work but the most important test, flying in moderate to severe turbulence has not been done. I did get into some moderate turbulence last weekend so I am gaining confidence. If you buy one of these units and have it driving your autopilot you had better be proficient at partial panel. I hit some bumps in the Rockies with the first 340A and it failed in about 5 seconds. Weather was VFR and the unit is a backup so no problems. I am hoping Sandia has made some revisions so the reliability issue is resolved. Just want everyone to be informed.

We are going to try and focus on the AeroNav units and the Avidyne partnership, but I'll get back to you with to answer concerns on the KI 300. Very valid considering the picture above.

Does that mean the KI-300/KA-310 combo is dead in the water and we're not going to see it? :dunno:

What's the progress like on the KFC-230?

Well the KFC-230 if finally here. VERY disappointed to see that it does not have a VNAV function like the Garmin GFC 500/600.

Back