Anybody still call for a brief?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I know we’ve talked about this in the past, but I’m curious if anything has changed since the last discussion.

Does anyone still find value in calling Flight Service for a brief? I know most pilots of this board seem to have EFB’s with ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot, but am I one of the only lone wolves who still likes to call for a brief and verify my own flight planning research?

Yes, while driving to the airport. I use the car's Bluetooth to do it hands-free, of course.

I still call. Of course I'm a student pilot and my CFI strongly suggests it. I find it easier to go to https://1800wxbrief.com. I have a local flight plan stored along with some other "regular" flight plans. Briefing is the same as you get when you call (but I still call when I get to the FBO to appease the CFI).

Nope. I can't remember the last time I called FSS for a Wx brief -- probably in the early 90s before the internet. Don't miss talking to a briefer one bit.

The briefers are invaluable. I've done it online, but I prefer old-school.

I think new student pilots lose something by doing everything online.

When I was younger and dumber I had a few briefings where it was obvious I wasn't seasoned and the briefer made it personal and asked a leading question or two, then broke it down for me in "briefing for dummies" mode. A couple of times where I just needed encouragement to make the flight. A couple of times when it was suggested that I might wait and check back. I feel like I learned almost as much from those guys as I did from my CFI.

Nope. I can't remember the last time I called FSS for a Wx brief -- probably in the early 90s before the internet. Don't miss talking to a briefer one bit.
Same. As soon as I could get the info online, I did so. I have, however, dropped into Flight Service at an airport when you could actually do that.

I sometimes do call to check if any last minute TFRs came into effect.

I used to call FSS a lot when they were local. Now I call just to see if certain restricted areas are hot or cold, and for the latest TFRs along my route.

Self brief is quicker. In the old days when FSS had local offices, the briefers could be really knowledgeable of local and regional weather.

Yes. The briefer sometimes still teaches me something new.

I call on longer trips for a second set of eyes and always on international flights.

yes, only for longer flights and for some reason only when I have a pax

I don’t do Standard ones anymore. I do Abbreviated ones for last minute check of TFR’s, Notams, Sigmets and Airmets. I’ve usually filed online first so they have my route and it goes quickly

I brief on Foreflight. If I need clarification or am unsure about something I’ll call a briefer.

Nope. Last time was 2007. Only reason why I called was because I was doing a static display at a local college and Army regs required it. These days for work, time won’t allow it and for private flying, I can get what I need from AWC, Weathermeister or FF just as easy.

Pre internet days and before the “automated” in FSS took over, they were actually an invaluable service. Not no mo.

Last edited:
Yep, pretty much any time I'm going IFR I'll call and get a briefing. I do my research on the computer then call to get a thorough briefing

Yep, I’ll usually call for an xc flight after reviewing the briefing on my iPad first.

I will sometimes when I am looking at something and clarification. Same with a flight plan. I use flight following for every x-country flight and with my ADSB out and my ELT linked to my GPS, don’t see much need for one.

I dunno, but I’d think it must be a boring job.

Yep. My brother was bored out of his mind when he did AFSS. People sitting at consoles knitting or reading books. He couldn’t wait to get to ATC.

Sometimes it can be pretty cool though. Once he briefed Morgan Freeman back when he was getting his multi in a Seneca. Since his fav movie is Shawkshank Redeption, it made his day to chit chat with “Red.” :)

Last edited:
Every time. I think maybe once in the past 5 years i did not.

I did one time when I didn't have any form of internet access, otherwise no.

I get my weather from the internet, but I usually get an abbreviated briefing looking for TFR's, adverse conditions, and runway closures. I like having my voice on tape somewhere.

I do my initial flight plan on FF. But I usually will call anyway.. I like talking to ppl. They might have some pearl that I might of missed. It helps to talk it out. I usually talk it out with other more experienced pilots as well.

The latest thing in the works at Leidos is a briefing using Alexa or Siri.

For longer flights I brief online and then call for a standard brief on the way to the airport. Short flights its just the briefing call. Also call for an abbreviated brief just prior to departing on a return flight if the standard briefing was only a couple of hours prior (or less).

Not since training. Everything online typically. I’d probably get a live brief if I was planning a really long cross country, unless the weather was perfect. One of my instructors calls before every flight.

Flights over 2 hours, yes. Shorter than that usually not.

Timely question. I called for the first time in years two weeks ago for a full briefing before a flight from Arkansas back home to East Texas. I really don't know what made me do it, other than the weather just seemed a little harder for me to figure out than usual using my usual repertoire of Garmin Pilot, Weatherspork, Aviation Weather, and Weather Channel app.

I really forgot how useful that service could be.

I will probably do it again. It also made me feel young again.

Absolutely, I call for a brief every time. Even when it’s severe clear, I get to hear “no TFRs” and know I’ve done everything reasonable to avoid them. Flight services is the only official source of information.

Every time I call, they just read aloud the briefing I already had. I don't see the point. At one time, you'd get someone with knowledge of local weather. But now, they mispronounce the local landmarks. It's like calling Customer Service somewhere and getting someone who's first language wasn't English.

Absolutely, I call for a brief every time. Even when it’s severe clear, I get to hear “no TFRs” and know I’ve done everything reasonable to avoid them. Flight services is the only official source of information.
I cant find it now, but i read an article recently that said if you call flight services 30 minutes or less before you take off, you are off the hook for pop-up tfrs.

I call, they actually have the ability to read through NOTAMs and find the ones that matter. As in, a runway closure amongst 40 line items. You couldn't put that one first!?!

I call. If they miss a TFR on my route I have plausible deniability. Also, in the SFRA, I have to file for every flight and that's just a quick way of doing that.

I always self-brief, just to get smart about the weather. Then I’ll often follow that up with a call to a briefer.

Back