Anyone recognize this airfield?

johndavis

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
John
i-PDsQRvr

Looking for the location of this WWII-era airport. We believe it was in the US and used for glider training.

Try re-attaching the image. I’m just seeing a red X.

Yeah, I’d be surprised if anyone here knew where that was.

Sorry, but you might be out of luck on this one.

Patience. Memory of the hivemind will amaze. Would one of you forum veterans please post the photo here?

Last edited:
That seems like alot of cars and a large group of people watching. I'm guessing it was some sort of demonstration? Perhaps look into the history of the glider tows of WW2 and see if you can find an article referencing such an event.

That seems like alot of cars and a large group of people watching. I'm guessing it was some sort of demonstration? Perhaps look into the history of the glider tows of WW2 and see if you can find an article referencing such an event.
Makes me wonder if it was the St. Louis (Lambert Field) accident in 1943. There were thousands of people watching, and the glider was carrying a batch of VIPs, including the mayor of St. Louis. Waco shed a wing, everyone was killed.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/12769006/mayor_and_9_others_killed_in_glider/

The backgrounds in the above picture and this picture look similar....
glider_crash.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Well, we can rule out the photo being from the UK, based upon the cars.

Ron’s hypothesis is a good start, amazing really. And, sad!

The St Louis airport has a picture from WW-II in its website and it looks much more developed than this. Plus I don’t see a tower than looks like this and no parking by the runway, although the resolution of the picture is pretty bad.

https://www.flystl.com/about-us/history

Ask the guy who runs the website with the closed airfields, can't think of the link right now.

Thanks. Terribly sad and unnecessary loss of life. I’ll look into Lambert field.

Back