Commercial Pilot Self Study

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Any recommendations on the on-line self study courses.... ASA, Gliem, Jeppesen, amybe some other I don't know about... test prep guides?

Thanks

I used the King courses for private instrument and commercial. Also used them to study for the CFI before I talked myself out of staying in professional aviation.

I think the only reference that isn't free is the FAR/AIM.

The FARs are all on-line at eCFR. The AIM is on the FAA website as well. You can also download it as a PDF. The ACS is also available on the FAA website. Another useful item is the Pilot Controller Glossary. If you use ForeFlight, you can download all of these in the Documents section.

While true, FAR/AIM is an ASA publication that is pretty convenient. It combines relevant FARs and the AIM into one publication.
And it can be taken into the bathroom. (Though they need to stop using "FAR", as it was removed from that particular use in 2005 when the regs were pulled under the Code of Federal Regulations as Title 14.)

"If you want to go in depth on areodynamics, The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual by Kershner is decent."

Written by a physicist, this is the best book on aerodynamics in my library.

http://www.av8n.com/

And it can be taken into the bathroom. (Though they need to stop using "FAR", as it was removed from that particular use in 2005 when the regs were pulled under the Code of Federal Regulations as Title 14.)

They've always been under Title 14 of the CFR.

I had a good experience with www.goldmethod.com.
I am using them as well. As you get questions right multiple times, it removes them from the question bank. You are left with the questions that you had missed. It works pretty well. I also have the ASA app but it doesn’t eliminate questions so you spend a fair amount of time repeating questions you already know.

"If you want to go in depth on areodynamics, The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual by Kershner is decent."

Written by a physicist, this is the best book on aerodynamics in my library.

http://www.av8n.com/

That's a fantastic link.
The problem is that there are DPEs who have no idea how things like lift work, and they will bust you if you tell them about circulation and Newton.
I know someone - honest to god - who failed his private initial, because he didn't use the "longer path" method to explain why airplanes fly.

Foolproof method to completely ace the written AND own the oral part of the practical exam AND actually understand and remember the information for the long term. This works for just about any exam or rating:

Break each of your courses into three parts.

1. PRESTUDY - Before you start really digging in hard, familiarize yourself with the scope of material and Basic concepts. No need to spend money here, just use FAA materials such as Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airplane Flying Handbook, FAR/AIM etc. Read through, look at the pictures, and try to pick up what you can. If you haven’t cracked these books since your Private, go take another look.
  2. STUDY - Now is the time to really learn. Block out adequate time to study and put it on your calendar like a college class. Grab an online course from Gleim, King, or my favorite- https://passfaaexams.com/. Go through the course from beginning to end until you are well into the 90’s on final exams. With a pass, you get your endorsement and you are almost ready for the test.
  3. TEST PREP - You Know this material now, you’ve learned it. Now get ready for the test. Call CATS and schedule the exam a few weeks out. Get http://www.sheppardair.com/ and follow their instructions exactly. When you’re done, if you’re still missing more than three questions on the practice test you probably need to just slow down and read the questions more closely because you already know it all!

A lot of folks skip right to step 3 and this may be ok for you if your end goal is just to pass the test. There is a difference between just learning how to fly, and becoming an aviator. Use the method above and you have this knowledge, and a strong foundation, with you forever!

Use Sheppard Air to knock out the written and then use the other publications to actually learn the material.

Most test prep programs rely on rote memorization. Doesn't work very well since the FAA frequently rewords questions and answers. GoldMethod not only focuses on the questions that are giving you the most trouble, it even rephrases answer choices to help you avoid memorizing answers based on certain phrases that might have stuck in your head.
www.GoldMethod.com You Pass or We Pay.

Back