more pic

Attachments

• Ckw+mG7bSn+%ZLOmIFwgGw.jpg
    Ckw+mG7bSn+%ZLOmIFwgGw.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 104
  • bL1JLT7vRrOkRyZfBH%+bg.jpg
    bL1JLT7vRrOkRyZfBH%+bg.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 102
Im pretty sure i used to fly one that is going to look just like that one day. Water in the right tank every time unless it was totally full of gas and hadn’t rained since filled up. Drain looked about half that bad.

What were the symptoms?

Why? If you can’t fix it, why not just tell them so?
Owners don't hold out much hope, the owner is looking for a replacement.
I'd like to see if I can. might be some good TIG practice

After a night in the soak tank, there is no hope the whole bottom is porous just way too far gone.

No less than 15 areas like these.

Attachments

• XDEx5vk6S8GsNARTJYGRpQ.jpg
    XDEx5vk6S8GsNARTJYGRpQ.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 110
  • HGf0YhcJSEaqjoa7FfpOLQ.jpg
    HGf0YhcJSEaqjoa7FfpOLQ.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 103
  • RRTWLhquSka2OwVj4LOm7Q.jpg
    RRTWLhquSka2OwVj4LOm7Q.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 100
Lol
You need a new sarcasm filter. I don’t know what kind of himebuilts you are used to seeing but that wouldn’t go on in EAB aircraft and owners I’m hanging out with either.
would hope not.

you are the first to post one.
No, he's not! I posed a question in post #6.

Oh - wait. Sorry. Been in meetings with work all day, too quick to throw the BS flag. :)

Thanks for posting this kind of stuff Tom. As a homebuilder I an always trying to learn more about aircraft mx.

try not to allow your aircraft set for 20 years unattended.

I seem spend about 3 hours of mx or improvements for every hour i fly. This is three years after completing my build. I pull the cowl at least every 10 hours to inspect the O-235.

Ive learned there is a big difference between relying on an A&P to maintain your airplane - and assuming the responsibility yourself. I liked it better when it wasnt me who had to assume the responsibility and stress...

Ive learned there is a big difference between relying on an A&P to maintain your airplane - and assuming the responsibility yourself. I liked it better when it wasnt me who had to assume the responsibility and stress...
I take great comfort in knowing that the guy who does the maintenance on my airplane does it knowing that HE will be flying it. Kinda gets your head in the game.

I seem spend about 3 hours of mx or improvements for every hour i fly. This is three years after completing my build....

That seems like a pretty high mx to flying. Although I probably spend the same ratio BS’ing to flying at the airport.

That seems like a pretty high mx to flying. Although I probably spend the same ratio BS’ing to flying at the airport.

When you have a homebuilt plane you have the option of continuous improvements without the expenses incurred with a certified aircraft. So this is a big part of my time. Sometimes its little things like restraining a wire better, adding a clamp somewhere or just checking bolt and screw torque.

Some of it is upgrading my original instruments to better ones - or just improving aesthetics or cockpit comfort.

Being an engineer by trade its natural for me to constantly analyze and improve.

Also, I'm a worrier....

What concerns me most about X/AB is those who buy their aircraft, know nothing about A/C construction or maintenance, but have a tool box.

What concerns me most about X/AB is those who buy their aircraft, know nothing about A/C construction or maintenance, but have a tool box.

Same thing happens in the certified world. Just maybe not as often, or to the same degree.

When you have a homebuilt plane you have the option of continuous improvements without the expenses incurred with a certified aircraft. So this is a big part of my time. Sometimes its little things like restraining a wire better, adding a clamp somewhere or just checking bolt and screw torque.

Some of it is upgrading my original instruments to better ones - or just improving aesthetics or cockpit comfort.

Being an engineer by trade its natural for me to constantly analyze and improve.

Also, I'm a worrier....

Wish I had the opportunity to do that with my plane. Someday, time permitting I will build one.

Back