Garmin 430 / 530 Simulator

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Probably useless to ask, but does anyone know of a 430 / 530 simulator app on Windows or IOS? There’s a really old one from Garmin that works only on XP, which has been unsupported for years. Other than that, the only other one I know about is on a Flythissim, which starts at $5,700.

Are there any simple apps out there?

Isn't that the one that says it only works on Windows XP?

Regardless of what may be said, I just ran it on Win10 and took that screen shot. So... perhaps I need to add YMMV.

Tried it...this is the old app for XP. It downloads fine and even boots up on Windows 10. But clicking on the Power / Volume button does nothing...it's basically DOA...at least for me on 2 different computers. Oh well...

I run one on a virtual machine with Windows 8 (430/530) on my MacBook Pro and it works fine. I went to install the version with the com and nav and it wouldn't work on Windows 10. But the 400/500 version without com and nav did.

here it is set to the 430W. I loaded Direct To T67, set the altitude to 4500 and throttle up to 162Kts. All working.

Granted, it's a bit of a crappy interface, but it does work.

upload_2019-3-31_19-59-4.png

here it is set to the 430W. I loaded Direct To T67, set the altitude to 4500 and throttle up to 162Kts. All working.

Granted, it's a bit of a crappy interface, but it does work.

View attachment 73015

Windows 10? I can't get that one to work on 10 either. I get something like too old for this version of Windows.

I have using the default one that comes with Xplane. Takes a bit of learning curve and better still a joystick to get the plane off the ground and the autopilot engaged. It has a few glitches. But works pretty good.

Brian

If you have a copy of X-Plane the Garmins included with it are pretty realistic. You can get the demo without paying anything.

I have using the default one that comes with Xplane. Takes a bit of learning curve and better still a joystick to get the plane off the ground and the autopilot engaged. It has a few glitches. But works pretty good.

Brian
If you have a copy of X-Plane the Garmins included with it are pretty realistic. You can get the demo without paying anything.

Either of you have any idea how to get the whole panel to show in x-Plane? I can't bring it up high enough to show the RPM gauge, etc.

Probably useless to ask, but does anyone know of a 430 / 530 simulator app on Windows or IOS? There’s a really old one from Garmin that works only on XP, which has been unsupported for years. Other than that, the only other one I know about is on a Flythissim, which starts at $5,700.

Are there any simple apps out there?

My GNS400W-500W trainer runs just fine on Windows 10.

Windows 10? I can't get that one to work on 10 either. I get something like too old for this version of Windows.

You need to run it in XP compatibility mode and run it as administrator.

I would if I actually knew how to do that. :D

I don’t have a Windows machine with me right now, but if you right click on the application icon, you will find these options in one of the properties tabs...

I don’t have a Windows machine with me right now, but if you right click on the application icon, you will find these options in one of the properties tabs...

I did right click and choose run as an administrator and that didn't work either. The message was "This app can't run on your PC." I'll Google how to run in XP compatibility mode.

Either of you have any idea how to get the whole panel to show in x-Plane? I can't bring it up high enough to show the RPM gauge, etc.

Arrow keys on the keyboard should bring it up, but the latest version would NOT let me move the panel left or right.

Brian

Last edited:

I actually found a troubleshooting option by right clicking and I was able to choose as having run in 8 mode previously and XP mode previously and it supposedly changed settings for each one to get it to work but still didn't work with either option.

So glad I'm not just imagining this! :)

You aren't. :D

Just like @Ravioli I have no trouble getting the WAAS version of the Garmin simulator to run on Windows 10.

The non-WAAS version of the Garmin simulator will NOT work on anything after XP.

The WAAS version is available at this link to download:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3531#Instruct

After you download use the "Options" tab at top left to select the specific device you want to use (e.g. 430W, 530W, etc.)

Here's a screen shot from my Win 10 computer after I downloaded it a few moments ago, with the 430W option selected:

upload_2019-3-31_21-27-12.png

The non-WAAS version of the Garmin simulator will NOT work on anything after XP.

I think this may be the problem. I am trying to load the non-WAAS version. The other version I have that works is a WAAS version, but it's the 400 so it doesn't have nav/comm and has a NRST button instead of the CDI button. I'll download the one at your link and try that.

I think this may be the problem. I am trying to load the non-WAAS version. The other version I have that works is a WAAS version, but it's the 400 so it doesn't have nav/comm and has a NRST button instead of the CDI button. I'll download the one at your link and try that.

You have to go to the "Options" tab and can pick the specific device model from the pick list. I think it defaults to the 400W when you first start it up as that is the first selection at the top of the pick list.

That worked. And the database is a couple of years newer too. Only difference is this one, at least on my computer, doesn't have the HSI unless I did something wrong.

HSI is on the PFD.

Yep, as I think some figured out, there are two downloadable Garmin GNS trainers. A pre-WAAS and a post-WAAS one. The older one doesn't work on Windows 10. The newer one works just fine.

The one that works is available here.

Edit. Apparently there are three if you include the 500/600 trainer.

I don't understand the need for updated databases. The intent of this trainer is to master the GNS box. Not to master IFR flight.

I think any ILS, VOR-A, RNAV etc are as good as the next to see how the buttons and displays work.

What am I missing?

I don't understand the need for updated databases. The intent of this trainer is to master the GNS box. Not to master IFR flight.

I think any ILS, VOR-A, RNAV etc are as good as the next to see how the buttons and displays work.

What am I missing?

It drives my FSX GNS 530

Just to add to this conversation, if anyone is looking to run this on linux, the latest version of wine was able to install the G530SIM that was mentioned above. The only problem is the HSI and the autopilot controls disappear when you have the window out of focus but return when you mouse over them. To get it setup, run the installer with wine and then use winetricks to install mfc42, `winetricks -q mfc42`.

The Garmin 430 and 430W have a built-in simulator and can be run with a docking station.
11658_3.jpg

Back