Question for LEO's... Tracking credit card purchases

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
What is the procedure LEO's use for obtaining credit card purchase history? Call someone at the credit card company? Talk to someone in person? Online access?

Requires a court order from the police department to the card issuer.

We had a visit from an officer pursuing a fraud case who answered lots of our questions as he gathered info from us. He mentioned getting the order isn't difficult, but the issuers aren't very quick in responding with the requested information.

Why not just get the card holder to get it? :dunno:

What is the procedure LEO's use for obtaining credit card purchase history? Call someone at the credit card company? Talk to someone in person? Online access?
I believe it's called a warrant.

Except for cards reported stolen. The CC companies readily provide police use history after date/time of theft.

Okay. I'm a cop, and I'm holding a warrant to access someone's credit card history.

Who do I show the warrant to?
I would imagine the credit card company, but that's just a wild and crazy guess.

Okay. I'm a cop, and I'm holding a warrant to access someone's credit card history.

I'm no LEO, but I would first identify the specific credit card company, and then I would try to find a phone number for their legal department.

I presume this is for a book. How high up the LEO chain do you need to go to get a warrant for this? Public prosecutor? Who would actually make the call from LEO to the CC company? I read "cop" , but I suspect someone higher than investigator. Maybe have this imaginary supervisory person get the information.

I presume this is for a book. How high up the LEO chain do you need to go to get a warrant for this? Public prosecutor? Who would actually make the call from LEO to the CC company? I read "cop" , but I suspect someone higher than investigator. Maybe have this imaginary supervisory person get the information.

I mean I -can- black box it, and just say my non LEO character got it through a law enforcement friend, but I'd like to get in to the process a little bit if I'm able.

All credit card companies, phone companies and social media sites, have security/liaison offices. Once the investigator or agency provides the paperwork, usually a court order/subpoena, the information is released to the investigator or agency. It ain't rocket science.

All credit card companies, phone companies and social media sites, have security/liaison offices. Once the investigator or agency provides the paperwork, usually a court order/subpoena, the information is released to the investigator or agency. It ain't rocket science.

I can't imagine they are physically walking in to a credit card company or a bank branch. Safe to assume they can email the paperwork?

I can't imagine they are physically walking in to a credit card company or a bank branch. Safe to assume they can email the paperwork?
There's probably a checks and balances way for the CC company to verify it's legit, though. I dunno.

Alexa or Siri would be my guess......

Usually thru email, but I’ve had hard copies sent and also, being in NY, have gone directly to the bank or other institutions.

sorry, we got sidetracked. can we get back to the hookers and blow?

sorry, we got sidetracked. can we get back to the hookers and blow?
I'm sure both were involved: A former Cincinnati councilman paid a hooker with a personal check. You'd figure that would be the end of his political career, but he was re-elected, then appointed mayor. Ended up having his own TV program, The Jerry Springer Show. Now that's sidetracked.

Back