[NA] March Madness

That’s friggin’ awesome!

Go UC Irvine!

I was 15 and one yesterday (Baylor) today I have two I got wrong. (Iowa, UCI)

Go Zags! Got the Baylor Bears tomorrow in the Round of 32. And yes Jimmy Kimmel, there is a Gonzaga. As I tell my law students, I graduated from there some time in the last century

I'll be following my Jayhawks.

(and my next door neighbor went to Gonzaga)

It was the thud that ended a rough year.

Oklahoma and TT are the only Big XII teams left

Yup, and odds say both probably lose today (Tech is higher seeded than BUF though). I know OU supposedly had a very tough schedule this year, but the product they put on the floor has been underwhelming. I was surprised they even got a ticket to the dance, but I suppose they need enough teams to fill out the bracket, even if the last 1/3 are better NIT material.

My younger brother texted me this morning about my alma mater Purdue winning their second round game last night. Heck I didn’t even know they had won their first game or were even in the darn thing.

I remember when they only took the top 16 teams for the playoffs.

Don't all the teams make the playoffs now.??

The ncaa-dot-com site says there are 2 perfect brackets left. And one of those is going down today because they picked different teams on one of the games.

I remember when they only took the top 16 teams for the playoffs.

Don't all the teams make the playoffs now.??

You must be ancient because the last year that they had 16 teams in the tournament was 1952. In 1953 they went to 20 to 25 teams until 1968. they standardized it in 68 to 25 teams until 1974. Then they went to 32 teams in 1975. 40 teams in 1979. 48 teams in 1980. 64 teams in 85. In 2011 they went to 68 teams.

p2203651374_o898661518_6.jpg

Go Duke! All the way to the championship game where they lose to Carolina!

Yes, long odds, but a game for the ages.

Duke got more than lucky yesterday. Zion should have been called for at least 1 if not two offensive fouls in his final drive against UCF. Officiating sometimes determines the outcome of some games and yesterday was an example of that.

My Zags are now in the Sweet 16 for the 5th year in a row. And like last year, playing a great Florida State team for the Elite 8. Hopefully we can have a different result from last year.

Pilawt’s Anteaters fell a little short but hey - they made it to the second round of the Big Dance- quite an accomplishment!

Duke got more than lucky yesterday. Zion should have been called for at least 1 if not two offensive fouls in his final drive against UCF. Officiating sometimes determines the outcome of some games and yesterday was an example of that.

My Zags are now in the Sweet 16 for the 5th year in a row. And like last year, playing a great Florida State team for the Elite 8. Hopefully we can have a different result from last year.

Pilawt’s Anteaters fell a little short but hey - they made it to the second round of the Big Dance- quite an accomplishment!

On the last drive by Zion, Tacko left his feet. Tragic mistake on his part. Had he kept them planted Zion would have been called for the charge. Once those feet leave the ground, it cannot be a charge.

On the last drive by Zion, Tacko left his feet. Tragic mistake on his part. Had he kept them planted Zion would have been called for the charge. Once those feet leave the ground, it cannot be a charge.
That is false. You can leave your feet if you have established position before the offensive player gets there which he had done. What you cannot do is do it against Duke (or UNC or Kentucky or Kansas)

That is false. You can leave your feet if you have established position before the offensive player gets there which he had done. What you cannot do is do it against Duke (or UNC or Kentucky or Kansas)
You are entitled to the airspace above your head, even inside the arc. But you have to jump straight up, arms straight up. If you don't leave your feet, it's assumed you are trying to draw a charge and you're getting a blocking foul if any part of your foot is on or inside the arc.

I remember seeing that play. I was thinking that Zion might get called for driving through the first defender, but once he reached the second defender that guy was getting the foul. I'll have to take a closer look now.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/barstooltweetss/status/1109960892005974016

Last edited:
You are entitled to the airspace above your head, even inside the arc. But you have to jump straight up, arms straight up. If you don't leave your feet, it's assumed you are trying to draw a charge and you're getting a blocking foul if any part of your foot is on or inside the arc.

I remember seeing that play. I was thinking that Zion might get called for driving through the first defender, but once he reached the second defender that guy was getting the foul. I'll have to take a closer look now.
I think he was inside the arc but Zion should have been called for a push off prior to that happening.

I think he was inside the arc but Zion should have been called for a push off prior to that happening.
That’s what I thought, too. I did edit my previous post to include a video.

Looks like the shot blocker got caught being indecisive. Hold your ground and it’s a foul. Hold your ground and jump straight up and it’s clean. He sort of didn’t do either and got called.

That’s what I thought, too. I did edit my previous post to include a video.

Looks like the shot blocker got caught being indecisive. Hold your ground and it’s a foul. Hold your ground and jump straight up and it’s clean. He sort of didn’t do either and got called.
One of the reasons I greatly dislike that arc. Because that situation there is not the reason the arc was in put in play.

I know why it’s there, to keep defenders from planting themselves in the one place an offensive player has to be on his way to the basket. It’s better lately, it used to be that ANY contact was a defensive foul and offensive players simply would aim at a defender.

Yah - Zion clearly had his arm extended on the defender, ran him over and then initiated the contact on Tacko. Maybe a 50/50 call, but if you are Duke, UNC or Kentucky, it always seems to get called your way.

There’s an unwritten rule: you have to fall down with gusto to get a charge, if offensive player barrels into defensive player and he doesn’t fall down (and sell it, which he didn’t do), it’s blocking foul or at the end of the game, a no call.

Side note: in NBA you have to bleed to get a charge in addition to an academy winning performance on the part of the defensive player.

Tom

Last edited:
Or be a cross of similarity between the 13th and 21st presidents.

I graduated from U.C. Irvine 47 years ago, and today they had the first NCAA Tournament game victory in school history. Now, on to the Oregon Ducks on Sunday.

ZOT!!!

I didn’t think you were that old....

Regarding the alumni trivia.

Silly show.

I thought he went to Fordham.

He also went to Duke where he really learned his evil ways.

It’s Jodie Foster, not Jody.
You must have gone to Kentucky.

edit:

It took me a couple looks to realize there's a row for NCAA probations.

Back