just a student sounding off about checkride jitters.

TennVolsPilot39

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TennVolsPilot39
Hello everyone. I’m currently only needing .6 of night and my 3 hours of checkride prep along with my written to have this thing wrapped up. I have had to start and stop numerous times (first flight was in 2003) but by the time I’m done I should be right around 60 hrs total. I haven’t really struggled with any part of my training which kind of surprised me. My instructor says that I’ve been ready for a while.

Now that the checkride is around the corner I feel like I’m losing some confidence. I feel like I know the material and have the skills but that I’m bound to bust the checkride because of something silly. I watch all kinds of mock checkride and mock oral videos on YouTube and I am able to answer all the questions I hear asked with no issues. But I can’t help but feel like my experience won’t be so easy..

Just a new relatively new member sounding off a little

Now that the checkride is around the corner I feel like I’m losing some confidence.

It’s normal to feel that way. Work with your CFI to have a different instructor give you a tough mock check ride as the first part of the 3 hr prep.

It’s easy to watch someone else do it, it’s harder when a stranger walks up to and starts with “show me your papers”.

Sounds like typical pre-checkride anxiety. Trust me, if your CFI is willing to sign you off, he/she is pretty confident that you’ll pass. I guarantee that you’ll be surprised how much of a non-event it actually is.

Look, man, what’s the worst that can happen, even if you bust? Just go do your thing. It’ll be easy. CFI wouldn’t say you were ready if you weren’t. YOU are the PIC, the examiner is just a passenger.

Thanks for the responses everyone. My instructor brags on me a lot but I feel like I’m just barely getting by lol.

Thanks for the responses everyone. My instructor brags on me a lot but I feel like I’m just barely getting by lol.
Once again, I find myself the contrarian on others' advice. I was a DPE and have taken many checkrides myself. Here's my advice:

Listen to your own feelings about your preparedness. Do not rely on your CFI's. If you feel wishy-washy about your knowledge— guess what? You aren't as ready as your CFI thinks. Grab a copy of the ACS and study it word for word. Do not schedule a flight test until you are CONFIDENT there is nothing in there you can't demonstrate proficiently. Why do I say this? Is it because failing is such a horrible thing? No, in fact, after you "know" you'll be able to pass the test without a problem, assume you won't. Assume the DPE will find some nit-picky thing and send you home with a pink slip. Take the test one maneuver at a time, expecting/anticipating each task ahead of time. Don't go there being surprised by everything that comes at you. You'll become a quaking wreck for sure. Be in charge. Keep the DPE working at your pace with pause action when you're busy thinking through something. DPEs aren't mind readers. Ask to wait a minute while you finish. If you bust a tolerance, simply correct. It's climbing a ladder one rung at a time. It's a chance to show off your ability. Be proud of what you can do and happy to get a chance to flaunt it. If you, by chance, don't pass, you won't have much to repeat the next time and you will have learned something that will make you a better pilot forever. Not a bad investment.
Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I’m currently only needing .6 of night and my 3 hours of checkride prep along with my written to have this thing wrapped up. I have had to start and stop numerous times (first flight was in 2003) but by the time I’m done I should be right around 60 hrs total. I haven’t really struggled with any part of my training which kind of surprised me. My instructor says that I’ve been ready for a while.

Now that the checkride is around the corner I feel like I’m losing some confidence. I feel like I know the material and have the skills but that I’m bound to bust the checkride because of something silly. I watch all kinds of mock checkride and mock oral videos on YouTube and I am able to answer all the questions I hear asked with no issues. But I can’t help but feel like my experience won’t be so easy..

Hey, good luck to you!

I had a question though. I'm a student also (in Norway) and because of a number of factors (weather, only one trainer that is often in for service, lack of extra instructors to fly with if my main one is occupied and work) it is taking longer to get hours than I had planned.

The thing is, I only have until november to get my cert. when it will have been two years since I passed the exams.

How did you deal with that? Did you have to take them all over again (several times?) or what? Here at least we have to have passed the exam to be allowed to fly solo even.

Anyway, good luck!

Hey, good luck to you!

I had a question though. I'm a student also (in Norway) and because of a number of factors (weather, only one trainer that is often in for service, lack of extra instructors to fly with if my main one is occupied and work) it is taking longer to get hours than I had planned.

The thing is, I only have until november to get my cert. when it will have been two years since I passed the exams.

How did you deal with that? Did you have to take them all over again (several times?) or what? Here at least we have to have passed the exam to be allowed to fly solo even.

Anyway, good luck!
I’ll bite.

This is the reason why I wouldn’t recommend anyone take their written so prematurely. Some suggest getting it out of the way early, but that’s a bad idea.

The worst that can happen is that you are weak in one area or another and he sends you off to work on that area then come back to finish up. It is an extremely tiny percentage that are refused altogether.

Just prepare, get a good nights sleep and enjoy the experience. Just think of it as another lesson.

Relax, we have all been there and somehow managed to survive.

I haven't seen this posted in a while, so here it is: Captain Ron used to hang out here and on the Red Board, and he was the semi-acknowleged expert on the minutia of the FARs and also a very experienced pilot. I won't blow his horn long and loud as some thought his edicts were too conservative and he got into some legendary arguments, but suffice it to say I learned a lot from him:

edit: The PTS that Ron speaks of, is now the ACS. Just a terminology change to make some bureaucrat feel like he/she has added value..;)

Captain Ron's Checkride Advice:
1. Relax and enjoy it. Nationwide, about 90% of applicants pass on the first try, so look around and see if you think you’re as good as 9 out of 10 other students. Also, your instructor must maintain a pass rate of at least 80% to get his ticket renewed, so he’s not going to send you up unless he’s pretty darn sure you’ll pass – otherwise, he has to find four other people to pass to make up for you, and that’s not always easy.

2. Go over with your instructor the logbooks of the aircraft you're going to use the day BEFORE the checkride to make sure it's all in order (annual, transponder checks, ELT ops and battery, 100-hour if rented, etc.). If the airplane's paper busts, so do you. Run a sample W&B, too – get the examiner’s weight when you make the appointment. If you weigh 200, and so does the examiner, don’t show up with a C-152 with full tanks and a 350 lb available cabin load – examiners can’t waive max gross weight limits.

3. Relax.

4. Rest up and get a good night's sleep the night before. Don't stay up "cramming."

5. Relax.

6. Read carefully the ENTIRE PTS including all the introductory material. Use the checklist in the front to make sure you take all the stuff you need -- papers and equipment. And the examiner’s fee UP FRONT (too much chance a disgruntled applicant will refuse to pay afterward) in the form demanded by the examiner is a “required document” from a practical, if not FAA, standpoint.

7. Relax.

8. You’re going to make a big mistake somewhere. The examiner knows this will happen, and it doesn’t have to end the ride. What’s important is not whether you make a mistake, but how you deal with it – whether you recover and move on without letting it destroy your flying. Figure out where you are now, how to get to where you want to be, and then do what it takes to get there. That will save your checkride today and your butt later on.

9. Relax.

10. You're going to make some minor mistakes. Correct them yourself in a timely manner "so the outcome of the maneuver is never seriously in doubt" and you'll be OK. If you start to go high on your first steep turn and start a correction as you approach 100 feet high but top out at 110 high while making a smooth correction back to the requested altitude, don't sweat -- nail the next one and you'll pass with "flying colors" (a naval term, actually). If you see the maneuver will exceed parameters and not be smoothly recoverable, tell the examiner and knock it off before you go outside those parameters, and then re-initiate. That shows great sense, if not great skill, and judgement is the most critical item on the checkride.

11. Relax.

12. During the oral, you don’t have to answer from memory anything you’d have time to look up in reality. You never need to memorize and know everything. Categorize material as:

a. Things you must memorize (i.e. emergency procedures, radio calls, airspace, etc).
b. Things you must know or have reasonable understanding of (i.e. interpreting weather codes, non-critical regs).
c. Things you know about but can look up and will have time to look up on the ground.

(Thanks to Mark Bourdeaux for this categorization.) So if the examiner asks you about currency, it’s OK to open the FAR book to 61.56 and 61.57 and explain them to him. But make sure you know where the answer is without reading the whole FAR/AIM cover-to-cover. On the other hand, for stuff you’d have to know RIGHT NOW (e.g., best glide speed for engine failure, etc.), you’d best not stumble or stutter – know that stuff cold. Also, remember that the examiner will use the areas your knowledge test report says you missed as focus points in the oral, so study them extra thoroughly.

13. Relax.

14. Avoid this conversation:
Examiner - Q: Do you have a pencil?
Applicant - A: I have a #2, a mechanical, a red one...
Applicant - A: I also have an assortment of pens, and some highlighters...
Applicant - A: Yes.
Examiner - Thank you.
One of the hardest things to do when you’re nervous and pumped up is to shut up and answer the question. I've watched people talk themselves into a corner by incorrectly answering a question that was never asked, or by adding an incorrect appendix to the correct answer to the question that was. If the examiner wants more, he'll tell you.

15. Relax

16. Some questions are meant simply to test your knowledge, not your skill, even if they sound otherwise. If the examiner asks how far below the cloud deck you are, he is checking to see if you know the answer is “at least 500 feet,” not how good your depth perception is. He can’t tell any better than you can, and the only way to be sure is to climb up and see when you hit the bases, which for sure he won’t let you do.

17. Relax

18. Remember the first rule of Italian driving: "What's behind me is not important." Don't worry about how you did the last maneuver or question. If you didn't do it well enough, the examiner must notify you and terminate the checkride. If you are on the next one, forget the last one because it was good enough to pass. Focus on doing that next maneuver or answering the next question the best you can, because while it can still determine whether you pass or fail, the last one can’t anymore. If you get back to the office and he hasn't said you failed, smile to your friends as you walk in because you just passed.

19. Relax and enjoy your new license.

Ron Levy, ATP, CFI, Veteran of 11 license/rating checkrides, including 4 with FAA inspectors

My addition to this advice is to narrate your own checkride. Explain what you are doing and why. example, while doing a steep turn: I'm gaining altitude and I think I am going to bust the altitude limit. So to correct this I am going to reduce power/ increase bank angle/ whatever you choose to do. The point is to communicate awareness to the DPE, that you know what is wrong and what your plan is to correct it.

As others have said, your CFI won't sign you off for the checkride until he knows you are ready.

Oh, remember Mother Nature hates checkrides! Don't be surprised if she rains on your parade (literally or figuratively!) causing multiple checkride postponements. You will get there!

-Skip

The thing is, I only have until november to get my cert. when it will have been two years since I passed the exams.How did you deal with that? Did you have to take them all over again (several times?) or what? Here at least we have to have passed the exam to be allowed to fly solo even.

In the US there is only one written exam for each pilot certificate. There are multiple written exams for instructors. 2 years validity. Finish or retest.

This is the reason why I wouldn’t recommend anyone take their written so prematurely. Some suggest getting it out of the way early, but that’s a bad idea.

This isn't so cut and dried. What is? Here's an example. I hate sitting for exams.

For PPL I put it off to the end (as OP seems to have done). I treated like more or less an Exit Exam. I was check ride ready but had this thing over my head to get that written box checked. Sure it worked out, written stress during checkride prep stress was some extra stress. But I passed both on the first try ~10 days apart.

For IFR I took the written an Entrance Exam. I hadn't even done any hood time since the PPL training. Went to weekend test prep and walked out Sunday with a paper that said "PASSED." Now I can go learn what I'm supposed to know, right? Then I wind up with the exam expiration looming in 2 months. Almost finished, but work got in the way. That's been over 5 years ago now, and I still haven't retaken the test.

So there you go.

Hey, good luck to you!

Anyway, good luck!

Bob, November is a long time away, talk to your instructor and tell him/her you want to get it done. If they sense you are serious they will help you get it done. This means when they make time for you don't cancel, I'd tell my instructor if he had a cancellation to call me, I'd take it if I could. You have to commit.

OP, being nervous is normal. the cure for excessive nervousness is preparation, keep studying, find your weaknesses and turn them into your strengths. You'll be fine.

If you can fly reasonably well, the rest is attitude... you MUST assume Pilot In Command attitude- for this flight and all others to come. Take a deep breath and don’t ever forget you are PIC, and slow down when you say that as it sometimes becomes a meaningless word to us just meaning “sitting in left seat”- the key is “in command”. He/she is likely looking for your confidence and attitude as much or more than technical knowledge and ability.

Let me share my story:

I got signed off for solo flight to the airport we were going to fly out of ahead of time and went and did an hour or so of pattern work there to get familiar with the lay of the land to take one intimidation factor out.

I showed up that morning had a great conversation with him, likely your technical knowledge is superior to many of us flying a while due to some of it not all of us use so it gets rusty- it’s fresh to you. But when we walked out to plane he said “do whatever preflight you feel necessary being u just flew it up, I have a call to make and will be right out” I did it as thorough as I could and was belted in waiting for him, he walks up n asks how many quarts of oil I had in her- I told him,he checked and smiled. Once in he buckled his lap belt, plane had the separate shoulder belt. On my checklist for prestart I said “oh there’s a shoulder belt for you.” He replies “oh that makes note taking harder and passengers are only required to wear that during TO and landing I’ll buckle it before you take the runway”

My mind was racing trying to recall those specific regs- I couldn’t recall them to 110% accuracy, I kept thinking he’s w the FAA he has to know... but then I said: “ well I can’t sure for you chapter and verse those regs, but as Pilot in Command of this flight I’m going to ask you to put the shoulder strap on before I start up”.

I was told by several CFIs that I passed the checkride right there as long as I didn’t blow the flying as I didn’t try BSing him, nor was I intimidated by him being “from the FAA”...that I demonstrated true PIC attitude.

Be polite, professional and confident... you can do it!

Thanks a ton to all of you. The only part ( other than having brain failure and somehow forgetting to do a clearing turn or use a checklist for something) that I’m concerned about is the diversion part and my short field landings. I can land the airplane just fine in normal and x-wind but my issue is putting it down where I want it. I have a habit of crossing the threshold a little fast so I guess I need to make a point of working on that. At this point I’m ready to get it all finished.

Thanks a ton to all of you. The only part ( other than having brain failure and somehow forgetting to do a clearing turn or use a checklist for something) that I’m concerned about is the diversion part and my short field landings. I can land the airplane just fine in normal and x-wind but my issue is putting it down where I want it. I have a habit of crossing the threshold a little fast so I guess I need to make a point of working on that. At this point I’m ready to get it all finished.

If that’s what ur doubtful of either ask your cfi to do a time out focused on that and/or go do it solo and polish it up...its good you can recognize your week points!

I’m still having problems with that with my “new” bird, her flaps are nearly completely ineffective and I just gotta polish the slip as even slightly to high and I’m screaming across the threshold... just remember you are getting a license to learn and you will always have a few things you can learn to do better- even thousands of hours in...

Last edited:
I’m concerned about is the diversion part and my short field landings.
Have a "diversion" area on your cross country flight log that ensures you comply with the ACS. It'll work as a reminder, just fill in the squares.

As for short landings, it's all 1.3 Vso speed control. You come in too fast because you're thinking "I've got to 'put it down'...". Nope. You've got to "slow it down". It'll land when it quits flying and from there it'll meet the book value stopping distance. If you "put it down" without regard to airspeed, no telling where you'll wind up. Get your CFI to take you to an authentic short field with real obstructions so you can see.

I’m concerned about is the diversion part and my short field landings

Diversion: it's fairly easy because you KNOW for a fact you won't go to the filed destination. Usually 1 or 2 VFR checkpoints from your plan and you'll be told to divert. You can pre study this and say if it's in this "leg" I'll go to this airport, of it's in this leg I'll go to that airport, etc. So upon request you confirm where you're at look at the chart, point at the new destination, and start the turn. [Edit - and do the calcs for time and fuel to get there]

Short Field: EVERY landing should be treated as short field. No one will ever fault you for landing too short. Of course, in a busy D they may ask you to speed up a bit, but that's okay too, right?

I’ve taken and passed four checkrides (ASEL, AMEL, ASES, Glider) and also the oral & practicals for A&P Mechanic. I was nervous each time. Being nervous to a degree is natural. However if it is a matter of truly feeling unprepared then I agree with @dtuuri that you might not be truly prepared. Just remember that the DPE (well most of them) wants you to pass but it is their job to flunk you if you deserve it. Just make sure that you believe you are as ready as your CFI does and then focus on the task. You should do fine.

Good luck. I think you’ll do fine. Sound overprepared. I recently had my IFR checkride and when first scheduled was nervous as can be. Doubted what I knew. Self doubt can be toxic. (Just as toxic as over confidence mind you). But the weather Gods, other Gods conspired to have me schedule a checkride a grand total of 5-6 times over period of 6 months
Each time I had to get ready, restudy, prep, review, fly. Each time I had hilarious self doubts- like forgetting how to go missed on 430w-had to watch a vid at one point to make sure I was right. I sat in plane and mock flew to get better at pulling checklist out and reading it(good drill). By the time I sat down in front of DPE to really do checkride (with my pilots license in hand -forgot it on 4th go lol). I was relieved and didn’t really study much BUT did fly and have a good mock ride with emergencies included the day before with my CFI.
You can only be so prepared. At this point you likely know what you know and will find out what you don’t soon- which can be a lot but that’s ok. Trust your CFI’s instincts. It reflects poorly on them if you are not prepared.

You sound like a very humble person with no ego... POA is the wrong venue for you... RUN FORREST, RUN!

Seriously, if you’re looking for a confidence builder @TCABM had a great suggestion...but really, I think you are over-stressing... just do you what you’ve been training for. If you mess up a maneuver, ask if you can try it again. On my checkride, somewhere in the 3rd quarter of the previous century, I dropped a wing and basically spun out of a power on stall... But recovered quickly. Examiner said, “let’s go back...” I thought that was that, but he passed me... he said, “if you had panicked that’d been that.” But you never lost control... I don’t know if today’s standards allow for such DPE desecretion, but it illustrates that all you can do is what you were trained to do, the best you can do it. Oh... very important. The DPE considers him/herself a passenger so treat him/her as such... make sure they fasten their seatbelt! Do what you were trained to do and you’ll do fine.

Same thing happened to me and two cancelled check rides because of weather only made it worse. At on point my CFI asked me what I was worried about and I told her "what day is it"
If your CFI thinks you're ready you are.

Only feedback I got from the DPE after the checkride was about a go-around on a short field landing, I had always practiced hitting the touchdown zone but he asked me to hit the numbers. I was a bit fast so decided to go around, after we landed he asked why I went around and I told him why and he told me it was a good decision.

You sound like a very humble person with no ego... POA is the wrong venue for you... RUN FORREST, RUN!

Seriously, if you’re looking for a confidence builder @TCABM had a great suggestion...but really, I think you are over-stressing... just do you what you’ve been training for. If you mess up a maneuver, ask if you can try it again. On my checkride, somewhere in the 3rd quarter of the previous century, I dropped a wing and basically spun out of a power on stall... But recovered quickly. Examiner said, “let’s go back...” I thought that was that, but he passed me... he said, “if you had panicked that’d been that.” But you never lost control... I don’t know if today’s standards allow for such DPE desecretion, but it illustrates that all you can do is what you were trained to do, the best you can do it. Oh... very important. The DPE considers him/herself a passenger so treat him/her as such... make sure they fasten their seatbelt! Do what you were trained to do and you’ll do fine.

My dpe, almost 30 years ago, told me to fly minimum controllable airspeed, as they called it back then, where you basically slow down until the stall warning is blaring away, and fly doing a turn or two. Well it was a real bumpy day, sure enough, I hit a bump and the nose drops, full stall. I recovered, looked over at him, and said " I stalled it, shouldn't have done that, can I try again?" He said: "Sure", I did it again, this time without stalling. We did a few more maneuvers, then a couple touch and goes and that was it. Fly the airplane, be the PIC.

Thanks again for the replies. I feel much better. There are a couple of things I’d feel better about if I worked just a touch more on but in general I think It should go fine. It sounds like if you are good to go you pass and if not then you won’t. I can handle that.

Completely natural. Here's my advice: don't reinvent the wheel. Fly the checkride exactly as you've been flying. Don't do a single thing differently. If your instructor didn't think you would pass, they wouldn't sign you off.

When I was a DPE back in the dark ages, all I expected was that the applicant fly safely. Everything else was secondary.

Bob

Know your stuff, but don’t overthink, or over stress.

If you make a few mistakes, just correct them and go on. I may have just been lucky, my DPE was professional, but friendly. And when I didn’t do things perfectly, I either corrected or acknowledged the error, and he would just say I think think you can do that better, let’s see a better one.

Went and knocked the last of my night time out last night. I needed .6 and 5 landings so we pretty much stayed in the pattern. Made it a point to keep it at 1.3 vso and I was able to land shortly beyond the numbers every time. I’m signed off to take the written, will try to schedule this week and then checkride prep begins. I appreciate the helpful words from all of you.

Remember, what matters is what’s in your lap(figuratively speaking). There are endless directions your mind can go, deal with what’s at hand. As an example, while starting then taxiing, concentrate on that, not the maneuver, 10 miles & 20 minutes into the future.

If you have a hiccup, the same, put it out of your mind & strive to do your best.

Having gotten my PPL 5 years ago at the young age of 57 I had a lot of concerns if I was too old to cut it like you young whipper snappers. However my instructor always had great advice. One of the most important non-flying advice was NOT TO TELL ANYONE I was taking my check ride;I.E. friends, co-workers, other pilots, family, etc. His reasoning was the fear of confessing failure to those in your circle puts an added amount of pressure on you to pass. However I did tell my wife who sat patiently at the airport, I did pass.

Now for my advice.....if you don't have confidence use your instructors, he would not have let you get this far if he did not have confidence in you. Borrow his until you find your own.

When you make a mistake admit it, correct it or state what you would have done to correct it. I am not a DPE but think nothing would be more dangerous than a pilot who does something wrong or dangerous and does not even recognize it.

Lastly, and this is advice my pilot cousin gave me, take the time to look out the window and realize YOU are doing something a small percentage of people get an opportunity to see and do :)

Back