what color to paint new metal panel?

Artimas

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Artimas
I have noticed that most airliners and biz jets have fairly dark gray panels. I assume these colors have been selected based on research that indicates the color is preferable to others.
I also have noted that most people with small planes choose beige or black when they redo their panels.

Would dark gray actually be a better choice? Are there reasons to pick a specific panel color other than aesthetics?

Thanks.

In no particular order, the ability to not show minor dirt. Reflections in the glass. Contrast with the instruments.

I'm so tired of seeing gray, it's so drab. Try beige.

Match your interior, if it's not too garish.

0DE7DBD1-3B9F-4714-B88B-198D2F6386E7.jpeg 98B9D965-7F2C-48E7-AEA3-9F5C55DFA4DC.jpeg See what you think about grey. I never thought it would look this good. Sorry for the low light pictures.

I thought of something else worth comment. The satin black panel in my Cessna is tough to beat.

Last edited:
Black or grey, IMO. Light colors reflect in the windows.

Does light colors make it easier to acquire the instrument in low light situations? Like, more definitive outlines?

Does light colors make it easier to acquire the instrument in low light situations? Like, more definitive outlines?

Light colors are better for crew spaces where walking around and the possibility of hitting your head are higher. I don't think it would be beneficial to a panel otherwise.

I met the engineer that designed the first marker beacon receiver. I asked him how he chose the colors for the lamps (white, blue, amber) and what criteria he used in his selection. He said he went to the stockroom and those were the only colors that they had.

Go to your garage. What color rattle cans do you have? pick one.

Jim

fbcc77d72610e081ee0d91385408e79c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I met the engineer that designed the first marker beacon receiver. I asked him how he chose the colors for the lamps (white, blue, amber) and what criteria he used in his selection. He said he went to the stockroom and those were the only colors that they had.

Go to your garage. What color rattle cans do you have? pick one.

Jim

Always with the scientific answer, uh Jim? ;)

Well, what did the [cough cough] design geniuses at Cessna do on the 172?

Black! No, brown. No, black and grey. Nope, black. Beige. Lighter beige. Black (or optional grey) with fake woodgrain trim. Two-tone grey with big TV screens?

<sigh> Take your pick.

1961:

1964:

1965:

1968:

1974:

1978:

1981:

2005:

Depends on what's in the panel. Looking at Pilawt's 1961/1968/1981 pics, I would say that black gauges on a black panel make it harder to figure out which gauge is which at a quick glance. But if it were G1000 I don't think it would matter.

A288A16D-8C8D-4A25-9AD1-0DA4F72DF839.jpeg 824DD880-95BD-42C9-96AC-9C77300A6595.jpeg I have a grey panel one plane and black in the other and have flown planes with all different colors and have never, ever correlated panel color with instantaneous instrument identification.

I think Jim has the best solution; whatever paint is on the shelf, usable and enough in the can....there’s your color.....as long as it’s not pink or purple or some such.

How ‘bout both?
9C29F2D2-3C37-48A6-8CAB-0F22584B6DF1.jpeg
I was test-fitting the gray panel and repairing the black. Decided to repaint using black.

love that Mooney panel. Makes me miss my C model. I did the same panel mod to make it verical.

Just did my new panel in matte black and I don't notice it at all.

That's why matte black is cool: you should not have your eyes drawn to the panel.

When people do work that requires color discernment, what's called a neutral grey it's used as a background, but reading instruments isn't like doing a photo proof.

So have fun!

How about a mirror finish that way you can see how well you are flying.

Back