That escalated quickly...

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
Research? Check. Fresh annual (PO)? Check. Pre-buy? Check. Flight XC - over the Rockies? Check. Put into annual early this year in preparation for a summer of heavy flying? New engine.:eek:

Not entirely unplanned, the LH engine was at 1,450 SMOH when I bought it. But I was hoping to get some time out of the engine. The shop gave me a call and let me know oil samples were of concern, filter had metal, and we needed to take a closer look. Took a look at the cam and push-rods, and no-go.

So after looking at reman, rebuilt, factory “new” decided on an overhaul by Midwest Aircraft Services in Newton, KS. My A&P has been working with them for decades and highly recommended them. The IO470 has the light case, but my A&P and I agreed that for the extra $5k for a heavy case, the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. If it was a TC 520, different story.

No real queation here, just thought misery loves company;)

How many hours did you get out of the LH engine after you bought it?

Those engines are 1500 to 1700 TBO?

Only put about 10 hours on the aircraft since purchase. I’ve been “traveling abroad” for Uncle Sam. 1,500 TBO, so i knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I was just hoping for later. But it will be nice to have the new power plant behind me. The RH engine is only 240 SMOH.

No TCM lover here, so I got nothing. My sincere condolences. Captive audiences abound in certified land. A 310 would be sweeter airplane with a pair of parallel valve IO-540s. So would a baron.

This does continue to highlight for me the specious nature behind "pre-buy" worship culture, and how it becomes sort of meaningless in the context of preventing what I call financial "step function" expenses, precisely such as this one. People should just call it placebo and move on.

If you're not borescoping exhaust valves and engine innards in TCM engines, you're not pre-buying worth a damn. And I hella understand why sellers don't want a borescope anywhere near an airplane they're trying to unload! I guarantee you if that engine had been 500SMOH you wouldn't be half as copacetic about the fact that pre-buy, and a $1.20, got you a cup of coffee in life. At least I wouldn't. Def not be in good speaking terms with the pre-buy guy. But that's why I don't sponsor the blasted things in the first place.

Again, sorry to hear of this. I applaud the decision to go with field overhaul, and not invest on a heavy case for a NA 470. Good luck going forward.

P.S. For a TCM cam to be shot/pitted, man that really screams disuse. It's not like it's a Lyco camshaft faced with disuse (aka a more known quantity). Metallurgy and QC of course has always been a sticking point with the TCM folks. Was this airplane sitting for years or only flown 20 hours a year? Your AP shop wouldn't happen to moonlight as a prop shop? You know, the people who've never seen a component their entire lives which didn't need "condemning". Manufactured demand abounds in this little hobby. I say that half in jest. :cool:

I’ve developed a great relationship with the A&P, Keith Hetrick of Hetrick Aviation. Their shop has been in the business since 1967, family owned. After I got a great tip from a fellow PoAer, I did my research, talked to folks I know who know him, and he’s on the up-and-up. Has a very Mike Busch-esque quality and knowledge base. Straight shooter and I trust his input. I also cross-checked his input with my dad, who still goes all Rainman for all things aviation (30k-hour guy).

For the past 17 years, the aircraft averaged 15 hours / year. That’s probably also the reason the original interior looks like a time capsule (less the redone panel), and paint is 9/10. All-in, looking forward to having the low-time engines. Now this may delay my panel updates for a year. Heck, with the GNX375 on the streets now, the prices will bottom out for GTN 650s and 750s, right?...:cool:

Only put about 10 hours on the aircraft since purchase. I’ve been “traveling abroad” for Uncle Sam. 1,500 TBO, so i knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I was just hoping for later. But it will be nice to have the new power plant behind me. The RH engine is only 240 SMOH.

man that suxs..... 10 hours and get hit like this. My worst nightmare.

...This does continue to highlight for me the specious nature behind "pre-buy" worship culture, and how it becomes sort of meaningless in the context of preventing what I call financial "step function" expenses, precisely such as this one. People should just call it placebo and move on...

It's all a function of what the OP paid for the plane. Given what piston twins sell for these days, and even more what older model piston twins with a near timed out engine would typically sell for, an engine overhaul may not really be the break-the-bank account event one imagines in this case. ;)

But I'm with you on the Lyc issue. I'd be more motivated to trade up from my Aztec if I could keep my IO-540s. :cool:

Given the left is the critical engine (assuming not counter rotating), you definitely want to have a good engine on that side.

It is, and I do like the idea of ensuring that engine is strong. That was a factor in the decision, which made it a little more palatable.

Back