Starting Instrument Rating

eventualpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eventualpilot
I am going to be starting my instrument rating in the next month.

I used the Sporty's Private Pilot course and found it to be helpful, so I will be getting their Instrument course. I also have the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Flying Handbook from several years ago when I initially started preparing for the written. Any other books that would be helpful?

Located in GA and planning to train (part 61) at either KRYY or KLZU in a 172.

Beyond how frequently the prospective schools/instructors train instrument students any other questions I should be asking?

AIM, IFR low alt Chart legend, part 91 and 61 regs re ifr. ACS for IFR to start. I have them downloaded into foreflight and love the book mark feature, plus they update as new editions come out. Read, a lot.

All the important docs that Paul mentioned, for example you could be asked (I was asked) during the oral what is the minimum required equipment for the IFR flight and you should know it is in Part 91.205. You really must be familiar with all part 61/91 related to IFR. I was also advised to download one of those apps to help me prepare for the written, I downloaded the Prepware Instrument Pilot (from ASA) but there is another company that sells a similar product. How often you fly? I think they try to adjust to your schedule - this was my case at least. Unless you (or your instructor) have a strong preference for something else I suggest you immediately jump into ForeFlight because it could be your indispensable tool - from weather briefs, weight and balance, documentation, etc. My instructor showed me how to make best out of this tool. I tried different IFR hoods, some of them fell apart (including one from Jeppesen!!) during training, ultimately I purchased VIBAN, best hood but at $40 some said I had too much money ...

I read Instrument Flying by Richard Taylor and Machado's books and I liked them but Machado's is a huge thing and some don't like his style of writing, there are many good books.

Last edited:

I used the Sporty's Private Pilot course and found it to be helpful, so I will be getting their Instrument course. I also have the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Flying Handbook from several years ago when I initially started preparing for the written. Any other books that would be helpful?

Beyond how frequently the prospective schools/instructors train instrument students any other questions I should be asking?

Who would you train with at LZU?

The current Instrument Flying Handbook and Instrument Procedures Handbook are both available free from the FAA in PDF format. I suggest you download those. I believe they also have a list of revisions, so you can just look at the differences between your old copies and the current ones instead of re-reading the entire thing.

Ask them how they utilize sims, for IFR that’s a huuuuge tool.

Ask how much IMC time your CFII has and how he feels about training in actual.

Personally I’m a king school + dauntless kinda guy for self study ground

And just how should the OP assess the CFII's reply?

Well if he has IMC time and is comfy teaching in it, that’s good.

Interviewing more than one CFI is always a good move, than pick the best one for you

I’d also train without a moving map GPS for the most part.

All the important docs that Paul mentioned, for example you could be asked (I was asked) during the oral what is the minimum required equipment for the IFR flight and you should know it is in Part 91.205. You really must be familiar with all part 61/91 related to IFR. I was also advised to download one of those apps to help me prepare for the written, I downloaded the Prepware Instrument Pilot (from ASA) but there is another company that sells a similar product. How often you fly? I think they try to adjust to your schedule - this was my case at least. Unless you (or your instructor) have a strong preference for something else I suggest you immediately jump into ForeFlight because it could be your indispensable tool - from weather briefs, weight and balance, documentation, etc. My instructor showed me how to make best out of this tool. I tried different IFR hoods, some of them fell apart (including one from Jeppesen!!) during training, ultimately I purchased VIBAN, best hood but at $40 some said I had too much money ...

I read Instrument Flying by Richard Taylor and Machado's books and I liked them but Machado's is a huge thing and some don't like his style of writing, there are many good books.

I have about 150 hours, but haven't flown in a while. Going to spend some time getting current and knocking rust off over the next month before I start training. I did utilize Foreflight to some degree when I was flying. My plan is to fly Saturday, Sundays, and some nights/evenings (maybe 8-10 lessons per month).

I have about 150 hours, but haven't flown in a while. Going to spend some time getting current and knocking rust off over the next month before I start training. I did utilize Foreflight to some degree when I was flying. My plan is to fly Saturday, Sundays, and some nights/evenings (maybe 8-10 lessons per month).

You don’t need to waste memory on what’s required equipment, just know where to find the answer.

You don’t need to waste memory on what’s required equipment,
Except this stuff may appear on his written, this includes all the relevant regs.
Plus it is educational to know how little is required.

Except this stuff may appear on his written, this includes all the relevant regs.
Plus it is educational to know how little is required.

Don’t think listing required equipment is on the written, though knowing that there is required stuff listed in the FAR as well as MELs etc is required knowledge

You are mistaken, there is a direct such question (out of all possible questions).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well that’s a BS question.

Probably could logic yourself the most correct answer, but I’d never recommend a student memorize that kind of crap, for many reasons.

You don’t need to waste memory on what’s required equipment, just know where to find the answer.
That’s where i have been getting hung up. I have been memorizing the ancronyms. My check ride is this Sunday. Will I know those ancronyms a year from now.. maybe. But a better display on knowledge is knowing where to look makes more sense.
So during a checkride completely acceptable to just open up the far/aim and review it, correct???

That’s where i have been getting hung up. I have been memorizing the ancronyms. My check ride is this Sunday. Will I know those ancronyms a year from now.. maybe. But a better display on knowledge is knowing where to look makes more sense.
So during a checkride completely acceptable to just open up the far/aim and review it, correct???

For that stuff yes, just book mark it or something so you can QUICKLY reference it in the FAR, your DPE ain’t going to wait for half a hour for you to find something.

I mean in the real world with the bigger planes burning Jet-A, they have book sized MELs, do you think pilots have that memorized? Nope, but they can quickly look something up and know if they are good to go, need a mechanic, etc.

And even if they did memorize the thing, any good pilot is going to double check the MEL/FAR anyways.

For that stuff yes, just book mark it or something so you can QUICKLY reference it in the FAR, your DPE ain’t going to wait for half a hour for you to find something.

I mean in the real world with the bigger planes burning Jet-A, they have book sized MELs, do you think pilots have that memorized? Nope, but they can quickly look something up and know if they are good to go, need a mechanic, etc.

And even if they did memorize the thing, any good pilot is going to double check the MEL/FAR anyways.
That is refreshing. I have some tabs on my FAR/AIM but will look to add a few more for some of these “lists” regs. Thanks for that help!

That is refreshing. I have some tabs on my FAR/AIM but will look to add a few more for some of these “lists” regs. Thanks for that help!

That said, stuff like what to do in a com failure, speed restrictions, weather mins, lots of systems stuff, those are all memory items.

That said, stuff like what to do in a com failure, speed restrictions, weather mins, lots of systems stuff, those are all memory items.
Thanks. Basically if It’s info that I need when I’m actually flying- memorize.

If it’s part of ground prep- can look up
Makes sense. I’m probably not going to slap on the autopilot to reach back to look something up in the FAR when I lose coms to figure out what’s next.

Make sure that your instructor is willing to do some of your training in actual.

The biggest advice I can give is find a CFII who is comfortable flying in hard IMC. En route and approaches.

Any suggestions for a good foggle brand that fits over a pair of eyeglasses?

Check the FAA website for updated versions if the IFH and the procedures books.

I would want to know if the instructor is a career CFII or a "time-builder". If the school has career instructors and a proven track record of getting folks through the IR, then you should be fine. I went through a ton of instructors and schools looking for that "perfect fit". It don't exist.

Did you wear glasses during your PPL? What did you use for those 3 hours?

Any suggestions for a good foggle brand that fits over a pair of eyeglasses?
I am using foggles called VIBAN, they are probably the most expensive such IFR glasses (around $40) but other in my case either fell apart or I hated them, I am using the version that doesn’t allow for eyeglasses but they also offer a version compatible with your eyeglasses.

I am using foggles called VIBAN, they are probably the most expensive such IFR glasses (around $40) but other in my case either fell apart or I hated them, I am using the version that doesn’t allow for eyeglasses but they also offer a version compatible with your eyeglasses.

The only problem I had with foggles is they only allowed me to look out of the reading part of my glasses, no Bueno for instruments on the right side of the panel more than 18 inches away. You younger folks don't need to worry about that generally, but if you have bifocals or progressive lenses it can be a problem.

I use these: https://www.asa2fly.com/Overcasters-P168.aspx
Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 8.03.03 AM.png

When I wore foggles, turning into the setting sun whited out the world (including the non-fogged part). These allow me to flip them up and down when "breaking out" and "entering" the overcast and I don't have to mess with my headset.

John

I'll be using a 172P with a GTN650/530W combo. I've found a free GTN simulator. Any idea about a 530W simulator as well as any addition reading/video materials for each one? I've never used either the GTN or 430/530 systems in any of my prior flying.

Back