91 year-old completes flight review

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
fullsizeoutput_210.jpeg
I had the privilege to fly with a 91 year-old pilot today so he could get signed off for his Flight Review. His knowledge of FAR's, airspace, & his airplane were phenomenal.

I had no issue signing his logbook as successfully completing his Flight Review.

I also enjoyed the 177RG. I've only flown fixed gear 177s in the past.

This flight was very inspirational. Fly on!

View attachment 72832
I had the privilege to fly with a 91 year-old pilot today so he could get signed off for his Flight Review. His knowledge of FAR's, airspace, & his airplane were phenomenal.

I had no issue signing his logbook as successfully completing his Flight Review.

I also enjoyed the 177RG. I've only flown fixed gear 177s in the past.

This flight was very inspirational. Fly on!

Wow, I love it.

That’s awesome. Is he still using paper charts?

Congrats,shows that’s there’s still hope for us older pilots.

There is hope! Inspirational!

The guy who helped me get my flight instructor certificate was in his upper 80s at the time, and that was a few years ago now. He’s still flying and instructing now, although I think he’s slowed down a bit.

177RG is the choice of many old pilots because of its super wide doors and easy access. My flight instructor has one and is turning 89 this year and trained me last year at the age of 88. I made him climb in and out of my C150. Good thing I wasn’t paying by the hour because it was a solid 5 minutes to get in and another to get out!

Huh. 3 blades. I guess if some people put 3 blades on a mooney, why not a 200hp cessna

That 177/RG sure looks a lot better cared for than the one I've rented in the past!

Met a gentleman today at KSZT (Sandpoint, Idaho) who was flying a Thorp. He was 90 years old and soloed in a J-3 Cub in 1946. Said he told the FAA recently that he intends to fly another 15 years! He’s my new hero!

I have a V35B in my hangar that belongs to a local 88 year old guy! He is sharp and gets around better than me :)

That’s awesome. Is he still using paper charts?

He uses an EFB. He likes AOPA flight planning & Foreflight for flying. He just put new avionics in the Cardinal & a new S-tec autopilot. He demonstrated to me how proficient he is with them all. I asked him to fly us to a fix & in a few seconds we were headed direct.

That is super cool!

There's a guy named Buck at Lebanon, MO airport. Don't know Buck's last name. He was one of FedEx's first thirty pilots. Employee number 124 (or somewhere in there).

He turns 90 next Tuesday, 4/2. He plans to fly his cub that day and then put it on the market and hang up his spurs.

I plan to be there.

We should all be as lucky as some of these guys we're talking about here!

Last edited:
A C-177B with upgrades is on my airplane bucket list. Congratulations to your client.

Huh. 3 blades. I guess if some people put 3 blades on a mooney, why not a 200hp cessna

Hey, I know a guy with a 3 blade Arrow. Makes things quieter.

He uses an EFB. He likes AOPA flight planning & Foreflight for flying. He just put new avionics in the Cardinal & a new S-tec autopilot. He demonstrated to me how proficient he is with them all. I asked him to fly us to a fix & in a few seconds we were headed direct.

That's absolutely awesome. No wonder he's in such good health - he doesn't stop learning.

I feel more than 90 on some mornings does that count? :)

The guy is 91 years-old, still flying, and some are only able to diss his three blade prop. There's shallow and then...there's shallow...

Ummmm? You??
You are reading into it something that isn’t there. I had never seen a cardinal with a 3 blade prop. And as i said, if some people see an advantage for the 200hp Mooney, i guess the cardinal RG, with the same engine, would benefit the same.

He probably bought it that way anyway.

Back