Training schedule???

Bronson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bronson
So I will be starting my PPL training next week. My instructor told me to fly as frequently as I can afford while retaining what I’m learning. I was wondering due to having to pay as I go do you guys think one to twice a week lessons is efficient enough to retain and grasp a good understanding or is more frequently being needed. I can do about 6 lessons a week right now one a week then twice a week every other week. I can make more happy with a little over time at work due to my current circumstance. Why do you guys thing???

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that 1 or 2 flights a week would be perfect, when I started my training I planned to fly once every two weeks an I found that to make things difficult to retain. I recently bought in to a 172 and personally want to shoot 3 lessons week.

That might work out fine. If you're young once a week might even be enough but of course more is better.

The real problem with students who say they'll fly once a week is that scheduling issues, weather delays, maintenance etc. get in the way and before you know it they're only flying twice per month. And that is definitely not enough.

Yes that has been a concern of mine as well were I moved from Colorado to Oregon. I can done tell Oregon is going to have more “off” days where Colorado was sunny and Hott like everyday. But, due to some personal issues it was time to relocate. So mabe shoot for twice as much as I can. Do most pay as you go people set up lessons on a set schedule like say every “certain day(s)” or do most feel it’s better to just arrange days week by week while watching the weather forecast??

I hadn't thought of looking at the weather forecast, but that's an excellent idea. Just remember, weather moves in faster than forecast, and stays longer than expected - just like relatives! :)

I hadn't thought of looking at the weather forecast, but that's an excellent idea. Just remember, weather moves in faster than forecast, and stays longer than expected - just like relatives! :)
that’s good haha

It would be best if you can save up to 2/3ds of your PPL expenses prior to starting, assuming you will be able to work and cash flow the final 1/3d.

If not, I would advise saving 100% before starting. Generally speaking, I would schedule for 3 or 4 days and to get two lessons per week. There will be weather delays and you should check with your CFI to see if it’s realistic this time of year to get in two flight/week.

In between, you should be chair flying your last training flight and your next training flight. Retention is reinforced by activities such as this, as well as studying the relevant ground material suggested by your instructor.

Flying as much as you can afford is not the best answer.

Make sure your instructor has a plan of action and can teach you as fast as you learn.

I flew 2-3 days a week but my instructor didn’t have a plan to save his life in ending training.

Any tips where I’m new on how to tell if an instructor is “pushing” the lessons or training rather longer then needed. How to tell if I’m being took advantage of another words. Sorry new to all this?

Any tips where I’m new on how to tell if an instructor is “pushing” the lessons or training rather longer then needed. How to tell if I’m being took advantage of another words. Sorry new to all this?

Ask him for his training plan/syllabus/plan of action.

If he doesn’t have one find another instructor.

I learned the hard way and when you waste 30+ hours at $200 an hour it sucks.

Also, know the ACS criteria backward and forwards for each area. Your goal, as a PPL should be to fly well within the criteria and as precisely as possible.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/private_airplane_acs.pdf

For ex: if the criteria is maintain assigned altitude +/- 100 ft, your goal is to be at the assigned altitude, not wandering around all over the place within the 200 ft allowance.

I think the biggest thing is to not quit flying. In other words if something happens and you aren’t able to fly for let’s say... a month. Stay on the studying, keep it all on your mind and fly in a month. Don’t let not being able to fly for a few weeks or a month turn into not flying for a couple of years. That’s what I did.

It would be best if you can save up to 2/3ds of your PPL expenses prior to starting, assuming you will be able to work and cash flow the final 1/3d.

If not, I would advise saving 100% before starting. Generally speaking, I would schedule for 3 or 4 days and to get two lessons per week. There will be weather delays and you should check with your CFI to see if it’s realistic this time of year to get in two flight/week.

In between, you should be chair flying your last training flight and your next training flight. Retention is reinforced by activities such as this, as well as studying the relevant ground material suggested by your instructor.
Sorry to hijack but would you also recommend the same with saving 2/3 of the expense on the instrument rating as well?

Sorry to hijack but would you also recommend the same with saving 2/3 of the expense on the instrument rating as well?

Yes. You don’t want to be in a place where you’re going into debt for a hobby or, if trying to start a career.

ETA: we measure cost in AMUs (aviation monetary units). They are in $1000 increments.

Yes. You don’t want to be in a place where you’re going into debt for a hobby or, if trying to start a career.

ETA: we measure cost in AMUs (aviation monetary units). They are in $1000 increments.
Could you elaborate more about the AMUs??

i definitely can save up all the money to pay for my training but it would take several months. Being me, my excitement to start flying is having me wanting to start taking steps now as I have put it off for years due to family issues. I do agree if I had it all I could fly as much as I could mentally handle. But, if people do pay as they fly say 6 times a month then I would most definitely like to try that out.

I probably should have started this while post out asking what is “average” lol??

Also....when you guys refer as I to a “lesson” you are meaning a “ 1hour” lesson not two correct?

I’m sorry for all the questions.

"AMU" = snarky slang for a unit of $1000, since everything in aviation seems to cost thousands of dollars. :)

People are all different with regard to schedules and finances, so there are many ways to train. Some save up, and then go intense. Some spread it out and go slower. Some live in places where the weather doesn't cooperate and you learn to adapt your best-laid plans anyway. No matter the schedule, it's hard to predict how long it'll take -- it'll just take as long as it takes. Flying will last a lifetime, so whether it takes four months or eight months or a year isn't as important as it seems now!

I flew about 6 times a month, paying as I went while holding down a day job, kind of like you're thinking of doing. It ended up taking me 9 months and 82 hours, but this is longer than average (around 60 hours). But it was a pace that worked for me, and it meant I was always had something to read and was learning something. A typical lesson is usually about 1.5 hours of actual flight, plus time on the ground both before and after. Your brain will get saturated if a lesson lasts more than two hours in the air without a break.

If you're excited to start, I'd say just START! Flying is joy; get a taste! Find a pace that fits your groove.

"AMU" = snarky slang for a unit of $1000, since everything in aviation seems to cost thousands of dollars. :)

People are all different with regard to schedules and finances, so there are many ways to train. Some save up, and then go intense. Some spread it out and go slower. Some live in places where the weather doesn't cooperate and you learn to adapt your best-laid plans anyway. No matter the schedule, it's hard to predict how long it'll take -- it'll just take as long as it takes. Flying will last a lifetime, so whether it takes four months or eight months or a year isn't as important as it seems now!

I flew about 6 times a month, paying as I went while holding down a day job, kind of like you're thinking of doing. It ended up taking me 9 months and 82 hours, but this is longer than average (around 60 hours). But it was a pace that worked for me, and it meant I was always had something to read and was learning something. A typical lesson is usually about 1.5 hours of actual flight, plus time on the ground both before and after. Your brain will get saturated if a lesson lasts more than two hours in the air without a break.

If you're excited to start, I'd say just START! Flying is joy; get a taste! Find a pace that fits your groove.
Sweet kath!! Thanks man.

Last edited:
"AMU" = snarky slang for a unit of $1000, since everything in aviation seems to cost thousands of dollars. :).

@kath hit the nail on the head. Now, for perspective.

I don’t know what a plane rental and instructor cost is in your neck of the woods, but here a C172 runs $135/hr and the CFI is $45, so call it $180/hr.

1 AMU will pay for about 5.5 hrs of plane and instruction, or roughly 20% of the minimum requirement, but won’t get you close to the first major achievement of solo. Assuming you only require the minimum hours and instruction, here it’ll run $5400 for the plane and $900 for the CFI. We haven’t even got to the written exam, flight exam, or any supplies, but the cost is already over 6 AMUs.

The more frequent you fly and the more serious you take the endeavor will increase your chances of being closer to the minimum, and further than the average which, depending on sources, is 50, 70, or more. There are member here that went close to 100 hours (or more) before completing the private. There’s also many that had a break, sometimes decades long, in between running out of money, life getting in the way, etc, before coming back and completing.

And some run out of money and never come back.

But more important than being efficient with you cash flow, interruptions in your training do not allow you to retain the skills you learned, much less grow them towards proficiency and add new skills.

@kath hit the nail on the head. Now, for perspective.

I don’t know what a plane rental and instructor cost is in your neck of the woods, but here a C172 runs $135/hr and the CFI is $45, so call it $180/hr.

1 AMU will pay for about 5.5 hrs of plane and instruction, or roughly 20% of the minimum requirement, but won’t get you close to the first major achievement of solo. Assuming you only require the minimum hours and instruction, here it’ll run $5400 for the plane and $900 for the CFI. We haven’t even got to the written exam, flight exam, or any supplies, but the cost is already over 6 AMUs.

The more frequent you fly and the more serious you take the endeavor will increase your chances of being closer to the minimum, and further than the average which, depending on sources, is 50, 70, or more. There are member here that went close to 100 hours (or more) before completing the private. There’s also many that had a break, sometimes decades long, in between running out of money, life getting in the way, etc, before coming back and completing.

And some run out of money and never come back.

But more important than being efficient with you cash flow, interruptions in your training do not allow you to retain the skills you learned, much less grow them towards proficiency and add new skills.
Very interesting...good to know lol.
I diddnt realize till while ago that there’s actual flight training plan templates online that explains the break down of each lesson and “example” time of each lesson....ex: ground-.50 and flight-1 hour. That really helps me understand now how the hours are broke down and how depending on what the lesson is ground may be longer and flight may be shorter and so forth. That explains why on my instructors website it states not only flight and flight training (him) but an additional ground (10hours min) i suppose he’s allowing a 30 minute pre and post briefing on each lesson at least through my duel.

I was accounting for paying the plane rental and his fee while flying say (1hour each) but, it diddnt dawn in me till now that I will be paying a additional cfi fee for briefings. His rate 50 a hour the plane is 100 a hour. If he is requiring a 30 minute pre and post....I’m looking at..
Plane 100 dollars
CFI fee: 75 a lesson.

I was accounting for paying the plane rental and his fee while flying say (1hour each) but, it diddnt dawn in me till now that I will be paying a additional cfi fee for briefings.

You may or may not pay for ground. Some schools charge a different rate for ground than flight; some only charge for flight time.

Also, the online Part 61 syllabi are a just a guide; there is no requirement in Pt 61 to follow a syllabus.

Some may/will use a pre-made syllabus, some will make their own. Interviewing the school, CFI, and former students (if possible) is a great thing to do. The fit between instructor and student is important, because you’re hiring this guy to do a job...train you to a standard that will result in successful completion of knowledge and performance checks.

I was accounting for paying the plane rental and his fee while flying say (1hour each) but, it diddnt dawn in me till now that I will be paying a additional cfi fee for briefings. His rate 50 a hour the plane is 100 a hour. If he is requiring a 30 minute pre and post....I’m looking at..
Plane 100 dollars
CFI fee: 75 a lesson.

Pre- and post-flight briefings are essential. In fact, if a CFI doesn't do them, I would run as fast as I could. However, whether they all charge for that time is a different question. For those whose primary income is flight instruction, its only fair that you pay for their time.

You may or may not pay for ground. Some schools charge a different rate for ground than flight; some only charge for flight time.

Also, the online Part 61 syllabi are a just a guide; there is no requirement in Pt 61 to follow a syllabus.

Some may/will use a pre-made syllabus, some will make their own. Interviewing the school, CFI, and former students (if possible) is a great thing to do. The fit between instructor and student is important, because you’re hiring this guy to do a job...train you to a standard that will result in successful completion of knowledge and performance checks.
I got you now. I will sit and speak with the guy who is possibly going to train me and find out his game plan(s) according to my availability and financial stand point and be sure we are compatible. Thank you for all your help!

Pre- and post-flight briefings are essential. In fact, if a CFI doesn't do them, I would run as fast as I could. However, whether they all charge for that time is a different question. For those whose primary income is flight instruction, its only fair that you pay for their time.
I totally agree, I will sit and talk with him more pertaining to his fees and plan lay out to work with me. Thank you for your help I do appreciate it!

I scheduled three days a week, but usually one would always get cancelled for weather. Twice a week was fine for retaining knowledge and skills from flight to flight.

I scheduled three days a week, but usually one would always get cancelled for weather. Twice a week was fine for retaining knowledge and skills from flight to flight.
After some thinking I believe what I will do is have enough up front to cover three times a week for atleast a few weeks then continue on with my weekly income. That way like you said if one gets canceled i will atleast hopefully get in two lessons. I do feel even if at times I had to go back down to two or even one a week I would be ok as long as I did something educational like reading...online videos...mabe invest in a home simulator that Iv seen on sportys.

My OPINION is that going more times a week in the beginning before the solo is of more benefit than after. That is when you are learning the most, after is should be mostly practicing what you learned. In my experience the initial learning of something always takes more effort with more forgotten between flights.

While I mostly agree when someone says to save X amount prior to training, I look at it more of making a commitment to train. When you’re ready to focus and commit to training, that’s when you should do it. A good portion of that commitment IS money. Don’t know if that makes sense.

My OPINION is that going more times a week in the beginning before the solo is of more benefit than after. That is when you are learning the most, after is should be mostly practicing what you learned. In my experience the initial learning of something always takes more effort with more forgotten between flights.
I agree with that statement as well...I figured for the most part from the beginning to solo is when a lot of the basics and most training will take place so that being said is when I really need to attend as frequently as I can. From what Iv read my best assumption is after solo it’s more continuous learning as it always will be but not as stringent as the “first 20 hours”.

I had a standing 1pm appointment every weekday. Start mid March and passed PPL ride July 1st after a lot of Wx delays.

I see everywhere and told by a lot of people the min. Hours is 40 but the average is around 60...what would you guys say that the average solo/dual time is for most peope giving the example of 60 hour average. I’m sure it Varys very much due to the students circumstances I guess I’m just kind of interested for the future something to keep in mind?

I see everywhere and told by a lot of people the min. Hours is 40 but the average is around 60...what would you guys say that the average solo/dual time is for most peope giving the example of 60 hour average. I’m sure it Varys very much due to the students circumstances I guess I’m just kind of interested for the future something to keep in mind?

I had 53 TT

I am going to guess 12/38. I think 50 total was closer to the real average after polling about 100+ pilots. I had 13.0/36.8.

There are way too many other threads on here where people indicated total hours to solo and check ride. Read those and you'll get a better idea of the average and some of the crazy and weird cases.

Things that add significantly to training costs:
Your CFI leaves - you need a new CFI
Your CFI gets sick - you need a new CFI or wait
You fire your CFI - you need a new CFI
Limited aircraft - major mechanical issue / no plane
You don't fly enough (money, weather, work, family)

Generally you can control the following in order:
How much money you have saved up
How much you pay for the plane and instructor
Pick a flight school with several similar aircraft
Pick a timeframe with the best flying weather
Your family's commitment to your goal
Your work schedule conflicts
Pick a location with optimal flying conditions
When your CFI will leave for the airlines
That you and your CFI will jive

...if you look at the 1st list the mostly costly thing is a change of instructors. If you look at the second list the things you can control the least are jiving with your instructor and whether he/she will bail for the airlines. The next most costly thing is if your flight school has like only 1 plane and it goes down for an engine overhaul. You could be waiting for a couple of months and will have to backtrack just the same as switching CFI's!!! So hopefully you've selected a flight school that has several similar aircraft and your instructor is not close to leaving for the airline career.

If you are committed and want to get started right now, have enough to solo + 15hrs. I would budget 20hrs for solo so that is 35hrs of aircraft rental and probably 45hrs of CFI time. If you really want to have it all saved up in advance, plan for 75hrs of aircraft rental and 65hrs of CFI time (less CFI time due to solo flights and solo cross countries).

A typical flight lesson might go like this:

Schedule a 2hr block several days in advance
You show up and spend 15min doing ground work with CFI
Go fly for maybe 1.1hrs
Follow up ground work for another 20min
Total bill: 1.1hrs (aircraft) + 1.6hrs (CFI)

One of the items mentioned above is weather. You can't make the clouds go away or turn winter into summer. But you can pick the best months and the best times of day to fly. So here is where you start learning weather early!!!

You will want to schedule your flights far enough in advance to get the times you want. This can mean a need to schedule 5+ days early or someone else gets it. Early in your training, really windy days and low overcast (IFR) days will not help you out any. So pick days and times with higher ceilings and lesser crosswinds. As an example, I use Windy about 5 days out and look at the winds, gusts, cloud bases and precip types. If a day looks good at a time that works then schedule it. Then see what happens. Once you get within 2 days the predictions are more accurate and you can use it to cancel a lesson. Having good wx will help you towards soloing sooner. You will also need to learn crosswinds but high crosswinds can complicate flights teaching you to land. In general, flight blocks about 2hrs prior to sunset will have less winds to deal with and little or no thermals. A nice way to round it out is to then purposely pick a lesson on a Saturday or Sunday at noon. You'll get the winds and thermals :)

I would recommend 3 lessons a week, 2 during weeknights and one on the weekend. When it comes to the workup to soloing if you can do 3 or 4 flights in a row (one each evening) I think you will get it done the quickest/cheapest. So during that part of the training plan for a "burst" of lessons.

Good luck!!!

There are way too many other threads on here where people indicated total hours to solo and check ride. Read those and you'll get a better idea of the average and some of the crazy and weird cases.

Things that add significantly to training costs:
Your CFI leaves - you need a new CFI
Your CFI gets sick - you need a new CFI or wait
You fire your CFI - you need a new CFI
Limited aircraft - major mechanical issue / no plane
You don't fly enough (money, weather, work, family)

Generally you can control the following in order:
How much money you have saved up
How much you pay for the plane and instructor
Pick a flight school with several similar aircraft
Pick a timeframe with the best flying weather
Your family's commitment to your goal
Your work schedule conflicts
Pick a location with optimal flying conditions
When your CFI will leave for the airlines
That you and your CFI will jive

...if you look at the 1st list the mostly costly thing is a change of instructors. If you look at the second list the things you can control the least are jiving with your instructor and whether he/she will bail for the airlines. The next most costly thing is if your flight school has like only 1 plane and it goes down for an engine overhaul. You could be waiting for a couple of months and will have to backtrack just the same as switching CFI's!!! So hopefully you've selected a flight school that has several similar aircraft and your instructor is not close to leaving for the airline career.

If you are committed and want to get started right now, have enough to solo + 15hrs. I would budget 20hrs for solo so that is 35hrs of aircraft rental and probably 45hrs of CFI time. If you really want to have it all saved up in advance, plan for 75hrs of aircraft rental and 65hrs of CFI time (less CFI time due to solo flights and solo cross countries).

A typical flight lesson might go like this:

Schedule a 2hr block several days in advance
You show up and spend 15min doing ground work with CFI
Go fly for maybe 1.1hrs
Follow up ground work for another 20min
Total bill: 1.1hrs (aircraft) + 1.6hrs (CFI)

One of the items mentioned above is weather. You can't make the clouds go away or turn winter into summer. But you can pick the best months and the best times of day to fly. So here is where you start learning weather early!!!

You will want to schedule your flights far enough in advance to get the times you want. This can mean a need to schedule 5+ days early or someone else gets it. Early in your training, really windy days and low overcast (IFR) days will not help you out any. So pick days and times with higher ceilings and lesser crosswinds. As an example, I use Windy about 5 days out and look at the winds, gusts, cloud bases and precip types. If a day looks good at a time that works then schedule it. Then see what happens. Once you get within 2 days the predictions are more accurate and you can use it to cancel a lesson. Having good wx will help you towards soloing sooner. You will also need to learn crosswinds but high crosswinds can complicate flights teaching you to land. In general, flight blocks about 2hrs prior to sunset will have less winds to deal with and little or no thermals. A nice way to round it out is to then purposely pick a lesson on a Saturday or Sunday at noon. You'll get the winds and thermals :)

I would recommend 3 lessons a week, 2 during weeknights and one on the weekend. When it comes to the workup to soloing if you can do 3 or 4 flights in a row (one each evening) I think you will get it done the quickest/cheapest. So during that part of the training plan for a "burst" of lessons.

Good luck!!!
Jeeze sinister...you really went out of your way on this one!! I caint thank you enough!!

Peace mate!

I'll add to Sinistar's very thorough post. Another thing you can control is your study time. Hit the books, such as the Airplane Flying Handbook, between lessons. Refresh your memory on what you did in flight by replaying the lesson in your mind. Watching YouTube videos about flying doesn't count as studying, especially when many contain incorrect information. I've seen students forget entire lessons like they never happened and/or have me spoonfeed them at $55/hr, repeatedly, the same information that's in a $20 book that they only have to pay for once.

Back