Time for Mulligan to upgrade?

Well, Mulligan loves his SR22 but often finds he has to choose which kid to leave behind for the quick getaways. So now it’s time to make the big decision and look into other options.

I like the thought of an SF50. Pros are would handle most of my missions, allow me to keep flying with Basic Med as long as I say under 18,000ft, and keep wife and mom happy to still have a chute option. Cons are the long wait to get into one and the short time on market to make sure they are safe as the SR series.

I’m curious to see what you know it all, I mean professionals would recommend. Here are the mission and budget details.

Typically me plus 4 passengers, assume adults for size and weight purposes. Would like to be able to bring wife and 2 other couples for short getaways so me plus 5 would be ideal.

Would like to go KBTR to KFXE by myself often which is about 670nm but the trips with the people would be more like 300nm.

Would consider hiring crew if I knew more about how to find one and how compensation works but prefer to stay in one of the seats because I really enjoy flying. If I go to something with 2 engines would have to get my multi and go back to 3rd class which both can be done if needed.

Budget to buy would be under $2m depending on what I can get for my SR22. Annual operating expenses o have no idea about so would have to take that into consideration too.

Ok, that’s all I can think of, let me know if you have any questions and I’ll update. Have fun helping me choose my next plane.
BasicMed also limits you to 250 kts, and the specs on the Vision show that the actual useful load isn't much different from the SR22. To keep fuel use down you need to fly high. Plus you will need a type rating!

10 hours for the type rating if I remember correctly.

My vote is for the Diamond DA62. Modern, fast enough, uses Jet-A, carries a bunch if you leave out some fuel (which you can, it's miserly.)

Update - Mulligan signed a contract on a Cirrus SF50 due for delivery in April of 2019.

Still in shock that the mom and wife approved. Yahooooooooo
I hate you. Can I be your friend?:)

That’s just around the corner. Do you get to start training soon? What color will it be?

WOW. That’s awesome.

Congrats! You’ll love it.

Congrats! My flight school is taking delivery of one in the fall/winter for an owner and we’re managing it.

Update - Mulligan signed a contract on a Cirrus SF50 due for delivery in April of 2019.

Still in shock that the mom and wife approved. Yahooooooooo

You needed both their signatures?
Just askin' :D

You gonna fly it?
Nah. I’m only there part time so they’re not going to spend the money to type me. I’ve sat in one. It’s awesome. Hopefully I can just sit in the back and see what it’s like in Flight.

Nah. I’m only there part time so they’re not going to spend the money to type me. I’ve sat in one. It’s awesome. Hopefully I can just sit in the back and see what it’s like in Flight.

Meh you’ll have one in a few years anyways.

Love watching YouTube vids on the Cirrus Jet btw. Wish there were more haha. Thing is amazing.

e878f4686ba7f107c9aad717568c7561.jpg

Less than two months away. Can’t wait!!

Back