Dynon Update

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Just announced all sorts of things and price cuts.

I wonder why.

"announcing price reductions for select SkyView EFIS models, progress on our Dynon Certified line, and updates from our Advanced Flight Systems division"

http://www.dynonavionics.com/media-kit.php

They are a good, well meaning company with great products and service but they are slow to get things done and rarely hit promise dates (this was in the free wheeling experimental market). They were new to the certified market and were making poor decisions on how they sell to certified aircraft owners, setting up installers (changed), which aircraft to work on (odd choices), etc. Many owners that saw their rollout list and waited feel slighted and have moved on to other panel decisions.

Just announced all sorts of things and price cuts.

I wonder why.

"announcing price reductions for select SkyView EFIS models, progress on our Dynon Certified line, and updates from our Advanced Flight Systems division"

I don't think this has much of anything to do with Garmin's announcement yesterday. The Garmin announcement was all about certified aircraft, and Dynon did NOT change anything about the certified (or experimental, for that matter) SkyView HDX. Only some of their lower-end experimental-only systems got price reductions.

Certainly the announcement of more types to be added is an attempt to preserve future business for the certified SkyView HDX, but I think they were likely to announce that anyway, since they're quite a bit behind Garmin in that area.

FWIW, here's the types that they're planning on having certified by the end of this year, in order:

• 35 Bonanzas
  • 36 Bonanzas
  • Piper Seneca
  • Cessna 182

I wonder what an all-in install price of a SkyView HDX single screen would be for a 182?

Maybe when I get the kids all through college...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@murphey = link goes to the media kit, not to any announcement that can be quoted.

[Disclaimer - I fly behind legacy Dynon and have nothing negative to say about them. No need for SkyView yet]

@murphey = link goes to the media kit, not to any announcement that can be quoted.

[Disclaimer - I fly behind legacy Dynon and have nothing negative to say about them. No need for SkyView yet]
sorry....that was the link in the email

Here's the press release that was attached to the email:

For Immediate Release

Woodinville, WA March 25, 2019

Dynon announces price reductions for select SkyView EFIS models, progress on its Dynon Certified line, and updates from Advanced Flight Systems.

Dynon Refocuses SkyView Line, Lowers Pricing for 2019

Consistent with Dynon’s longstanding commitment to affordability, while at the same time offeringbest-in-class features and performance, it announces product line and pricing changes for 2019.

“As the SkyView line has evolved over the years, it has grown to four different models, including SkyView HDX, SkyView Touch, SkyView Classic, and SkyView SE. With SkyView HDX representing our state-of-the-art offering with its enhanced user interface, better display quality, and a full touch interface, we felt there was unnecessary overlap in the model line-up. With the avionics marketgetting ever more competitive, we’ve decided to trim the line to make the product model steps clearerand at the same time sharpen the price points on our original SkyView family models,” indicates Randy Lervold, Dynon’s VP Marketing & Sales.

Effective immediately, Dynon is lowering the price on both SkyView Classic and SkyView SE systems and is retiring SkyView Touch. SkyView Classic and SkyView SE systems will see price drops of between $200 and $500 per display, depending on the model. “We believe these adjustments makefor a more competitive line-up that accommodates a wider range of builder budgets and panel plans. Many builders want a reduced, simplified feature set and are targeting a lower budget. Dynon willhelp them get there,” indicates Lervold.

Current pricing for all Dynon products can be found on its website and through its network of dealers worldwide.

Dynon Certified Progress

In 2018, Dynon received STC approval for its flagship SkyView HDX system for most Cessna 172 models and then completed an amendment to include its complete product suite, including autopilot. For 2019, it is expanding both the approved model list as anticipated and selectively adding installation centers for its Dynon Certified line.

Although the government shutdown impacted progress, Dynon is currently finalizing approval for the V-tail Bonanza 35 series. Now that the FAA is back in normal operations, Dynon expects approval for the Bonanza in the coming weeks.

After the Bonanza 35 series, the next aircraft Dynon will be adding to the AML is the Bonanza A36 family. Dynon recently acquired an A36 for this project and work has already begun.

In addition to the Bonanza line, work continues on the piston twin Piper Seneca with approval expected in the first half of 2019. Dynon indicates that next up is the Cessna 182. The company expects that to be done before the end of 2019.

“Since the outset of the Certified program, Dynon has chosen to partner with a limited number of Authorized Dynon Installation Centers that are committed to offering an affordable, quality customerexperience,” adds Lervold. Dynon is pleased to announce the recent addition of Air Plains inWellington, Kansas, and Five Rivers Aviation in Livermore, California to its installation network.

A continuously updated list of active and planned aircraft approvals, as well as installation centers, can be found at www.dynoncertified.com.

ADVANCEDPANEL from Advanced Flight Systems

The Advanced Flight Systems division continues to be at the forefront of avionics innovation. With its recently refreshed website (www.advancedflightsystems.com) and its updated ADVANCEDPANELcomplete avionics panel solution, Advanced is showcasing how its unique business model lets it Go Beyond.

Buying a pre-built custom panel has always meant buying from a company that essentially acts as asystem integrator from multiple vendors. “With the ADVANCEDPANEL concept, almost everything in the panel is designed, manufactured, and configured by Advanced and Dynon. This turnkey solution is really resonating with customers who are thrilled to be able to work with one resource to design,manufacture, and support the installation of their dream panel,” says company President, Rob Hickman.

One of the keys to Advanced’s success is the Advanced Control Module (ACM). The ACM forms theheart of the aircraft systems and is the only product of its kind. It’s the first and only comprehensivepower and distribution center for an aircraft’s electrical system, avionics, headsets, aircraft lights, autopilot servos, trim servos, flap motor, control sticks, panel switches, and all customized harnesses.Hickman adds, “All of these connect to the ACM with pre-made harnesses, allowing a “plug and play”installation, saving builders hundreds of hours of wiring, and makes troubleshooting and futureupgrades very easy.”

For more information about ADVANCEDPANEL, visit http://www.advancedflightsystems.com/. -------------------------

Founded in 2000, Dynon’s mission is to create the best avionics and aircraft systems for light aircraft. With a worldwide fleet of thousands of aircraft, Dynon is the leading manufacturer of avionics for Experimental and Light Sport Aircraft. In 2018 Dynon expanded its reach into type certificated aircraft with the launch of Dynon Certified. Continuing a traditionstarted with the introduction of their first Electronic Flight Information System “glass panel”, Dynon is committed to developing innovative products at affordable prices for all aircraft owners and pilots.

For more information about Dynon products please contact Dynon at 425.402.0433 or info@DynonAvionics.com Visit Dynon Avionics on the Web at www.DynonAvionics.com.

PHOTOS: High resolution images of Dynon products are available at

Attachments

• DYNON_PRESS RELEASE-SnF_March_2019.pdf
    130.9 KB · Views: 1
I don’t understand, they already had the 100 approved, why not do the same procedure for the Skyview?

Tom

I don’t understand, they already had the 100 approved, why not do the same procedure for the Skyview?

It appears that Dynon decided to get all of the individual pieces of the SkyView HDX certified prior to expanding the approved model list.

I know at OSH 2017, they were talking about certifying the whole thing as a "system" - Bring your navigator and we'll take care of the rest. But, that would have meant that you would be *required* to use the Dynon panel, the Dynon backup display, the Dynon autopilot, and several other pieces. You wouldn't have been able to keep your autopilot or use a different backup, for example.

I think they (probably correctly) decided that wouldn't go well in the market, and didn't have enough resources to both certify things piecemeal and expand the AML. Unfortunately, that has definitely placed them at a distinct disadvantage to Garmin. I can buy the full Garmin setup *today*, whereas even at the end of the year, there will only be a handful of types that I could equip with the SkyView HDX. Plus, the G3X Touch has put Garmin at a price point much closer to the Dynon certified system, further eroding any of the advantages Dynon may have had. Just for fun, I looked up the component costs for what I would need to complete my panel, and came up with $19,882 for Dynon and $24,639 for Garmin.

There are grapevine reports that Dynon is talking with the FAA about a blanket AML much like the G3X Touch AML. Hope this happens soon.

I’m surprised you’re only $5,000 more for the G3X. Can you list detailed options in your comparison? Backup independent EFIS, backup batteries, ads-b in, ads-b out, Auto pilot, engine monitor, etc?

I really want the Skyview for the Bonanza, I may have to send the G5s back or sell them if the Skyview drops soon.

I don't think this has much of anything to do with Garmin's announcement yesterday. The Garmin announcement was all about certified aircraft, and Dynon did NOT change anything about the certified (or experimental, for that matter) SkyView HDX. Only some of their lower-end experimental-only systems got price reductions.

Certainly the announcement of more types to be added is an attempt to preserve future business for the certified SkyView HDX, but I think they were likely to announce that anyway, since they're quite a bit behind Garmin in that area.

FWIW, here's the types that they're planning on having certified by the end of this year, in order:

• 35 Bonanzas
  • 36 Bonanzas
  • Piper Seneca
  • Cessna 182

What's up with the seneca love? Are there really that many out there?

There are grapevine reports that Dynon is talking with the FAA about a blanket AML much like the G3X Touch AML. Hope this happens soon.

That may have been part of the reasoning behind certifying the pieces separately instead of as an all-in-one system. I don't think there's any way to get a blanket AML for an autopilot - even Garmin is doing their certification a few types at a time. But, now that the autopilot is a separate piece, I don't see why they couldn't get the rest into a blanket AML.

I’m surprised you’re only $5,000 more for the G3X. Can you list detailed options in your comparison? Backup independent EFIS, backup batteries, ads-b in, ads-b out, Auto pilot, engine monitor, etc?

It may well be that I'm missing some stuff. I'm going by what is on their web sites, which is MUCH less detailed than, for example, the TXi worksheet here that has all the individual bits: https://sarasotaavionics.com/g500TXi

I basically went with 10" display, backup display, engine monitoring, and autopilot for both, based on what I could find on their web sites.

Does a G3X Touch, GFC 500, and G5 AI combo for $24K without installation sound too cheap to you?

What's up with the seneca love? Are there really that many out there?

No... But there are a fair number, and I'm guessing it's just a play against Garmin's strategy, where they certified their stuff in the Barons first. Garmin hasn't shown the Seneca much love, there's a fair number of them out there, so why not use it to get the twin-engine aspects worked out and certified? It's doubtful that they'll sell a ton, but they'll sell more than they would if they were just playing in the same spaces as Garmin.

I think S-TEC has employed a somewhat similar strategy for the 3100. If you look at the AML for that, they're covering some relatively popular types that Garmin has so far neglected.

I think S-TEC has employed a somewhat similar strategy for the 3100. If you look at the AML for that, they're covering some relatively popular types that Garmin has so far neglected.
S-TEC Took a more open approach, they publicly said "if we get X Purchase Orders for a model we'll add it to our roadmap."

S-TEC Took a more open approach, they publicly said "if we get X Purchase Orders for a model we'll add it to our roadmap."

Well, maybe I gave them too much credit. ;)

What you say is true - In fact, I had signed up for their "win a free 3100!" promotion at Oshkosh 2017, and later on they contacted me and said that if they got 15 paid pre-orders for my aircraft type that they would certify it immediately. However, these were also full-price pre-orders and I think the only extra thing they gave you for being one of the pre-orders was an extra year on the warranty.

But this can also organically create the strategy I was giving them credit for. I think a lot of people probably looked at Garmin's "here's what we're certifying first" list, found that their planes weren't on it, and went for the S-TEC offer. The planes that Garmin was doing first, I think people went with Garmin, like they tend to do.

What you say is true - In fact, I had signed up for their "win a free 3100!" promotion at Oshkosh 2017, and later on they contacted me and said that if they got 15 paid pre-orders for my aircraft type that they would certify it immediately. However, these were also full-price pre-orders and I think the only extra thing they gave you for being one of the pre-orders was an extra year on the warranty.

But this can also organically create the strategy I was giving them credit for. I think a lot of people probably looked at Garmin's "here's what we're certifying first" list, found that their planes weren't on it, and went for the S-TEC offer. The planes that Garmin was doing first, I think people went with Garmin, like they tend to do.
S-TEC's big pre-order draw was an extra year warranty on your existing servos(3 from 2 as I recall) and you didn't have to give them any money up front. But I really doubt they got very many people pre-ordering new systems, I'd guess it's mostly the upgrades where the installation cost was very low. I think generally S-TEC owners are much more likely to just upgrade than change platforms, King owners on the other hand are more likely to throw their existing systems away. If the AeroCruz 230 was actually shipping, and didn't have almost the same Attitude Indicator dependency as the existing King APs they would have done fine. It helps that the 3100 had no Attitude indicator requirement and went with an on-board AHRS. And to bring this around, I think Dynon's timeline slippage is also putting them in the 'King' camp as far as mindshare.

I think generally S-TEC owners are much more likely to just upgrade than change platforms, King owners on the other hand are more likely to throw their existing systems away. If the AeroCruz 230 was actually shipping, and didn't have almost the same Attitude Indicator dependency as the existing King APs they would have done fine. It helps that the 3100 had no Attitude indicator requirement and went with an on-board AHRS. And to bring this around, I think Dynon's timeline slippage is also putting them in the 'King' camp as far as mindshare.

Yeah, if you have an existing S-TEC system, the 3100 makes a lot of sense.

King, of course, is great at vaporware and slapping their nameplate on other people's products (the new "King" engine monitors are clearly just re-branded JPIs) but not at actually delivering new products that people want. And considering that King's servos are notoriously unreliable* and they want $9600 for an overhaul exchange trim servo, it just makes no sense to stick with King (Honeywell).

I think Dynon is in much better shape than King, but they need to get their act together and get as many certifications done as they can, as quickly as they can, or they're going to become quickly irrelevant to the certified market.

* I've had to have my roll servo completely rebuilt TWICE in the last seven years, and my pitch trim servo was the source of all of my self-test failures that had it in and out of the shop for more than 5 of those 7 years. And if you read this, it sounds like the servos on the KFC225 were designed by an intern and should never have been certified.

When STEC APs start getting replaced by GFC, TT, etc, it will mean there will be plenty of used servos available, making maintenance easy for 3100 users. Just swap out the servo, maybe fix it or maybe just buy another used servo.

Tom

Back