GPS 175 vs GTN 625?

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Last edited:
175 --Its basically a shrunk GTN 625 that looks to have pretty much exactly the same functionality, EXCEPT, NO/NONE/NADA EFB wireless connectivity is included with a GTN.

375 its basically a 175 with a GTX-345 in it.

It looks like the 175 will be sold over the counter with STC to anyone just like the G5 systems. Unfortunately no GTNs are marketed that way but rather Dealer Install Only

One very obvious difference,
upload_2019-3-27_15-23-1.png
upload_2019-3-27_15-20-57.png

Last edited:
the spec page for 175 says:

upload_2019-3-27_15-30-6.png

never mind, I read the previous post wrong. GTN doesn't have EFB connectivity; 175 does... wondering why people would by 625.. bigger screen?

Why would anyone buy a 625, ever?

Well not now. But before the the 175? Absolutely...if they had priced it at the GPS 175 price, like they should have done in the first place. They just didn't want to, in order to coddle their flagship (650) sales. There's nothing wrong with the 625, except the price. Unless you're hinting at navigator-only solutions as somehow undesirable? I actually prefer them over the all-in-one wonderboxes.

Well not now. But before the the 175? Absolutely...if they had priced it at the GPS 175 price, like they should have done in the first place. They just didn't want to, in order to coddle their flagship (650) sales. There's nothing wrong with the 625, except the price. Unless you're hinting at navigator-only solutions as somehow undesirable? I actually prefer them over the all-in-one wonderboxes.

What was the price difference between a 625 and a 650?

By the way the navigator page on Garmin didn’t show the 625 anymore OR I overlooked

By the way the navigator page on Garmin didn’t show the 625 anymore OR I overlooked
Go to the GTN650 page. Underneath the MSRP look for "Navigator Type" and select "GPS/MFD".

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 625 or a 635. If I was looking for a GPS that will do LPV the 175 is a great choice, but if you are interfacing it to say a G5 HSI it would be tough not to get a GTN 650 because that is the ONLY way you'll get a VOR/LOC/ILS & GPS to hook to it simultaneously at this time.

The G5 system is still a one nav radio show, so to get the most out of it you need a GTN 650.

Its dumb because the G5 hardware can do a whole more than that but its not approved to do it.

Its dumb because the G5 hardware can do a whole more than that but its not approved to do it.
Perhaps Garmin rushed it out the door because of competition?

Also look for G3X if you are planning to upgrade your CDI. I see G3X is better value than two G5s if you are planning to get rid of vacuum (or adding engine monitor or autopilot) at same time.

I have Apollo GX50 in my airplane so I will go with 175 due to space constraints. I will couple it with with G3X (10 inch option). I already have ADS-B transceiver and STEC 30 autopilot.

Before you jump on the 175, get an IM and check out the pinouts. If you need to share an HSI via an ACU, there are a few annunciator discrete outputs missing when compared to the 625. Among them OBS/Susp, term, wpt. The interconnect diagram is very thin on wiring it up using an ACU, like most of us with GX's and SL30's have. All there are are pinouts for LOI and APPCH annunciators.
How this translates to real world install issues using an annunciiator switch and relay I haven't as yet gotten straight. Garmin recommends the Mid-Continent MD41-151× annunciator switch for their touch-screen navigators, but the 175 appears to be missing some necessary ports. I think some homework is in order.

Last edited:
Before you jump on the 175, get an IM and check out the pinouts. If you need to share an HSI via an ACU, there are a few annunciator discrete outputs missing when compared to the 625. Among them OBS/Susp, term, wpt. The interconnect diagram is very thin on wiring it up using an ACU, like most of us with GX's and SL30's have. All there are are pinouts for LOI and APPCH annunciators.
How this translates to real world install issues using an annunciiator switch and relay I haven't as yet gotten straight. Garmin recommends the Mid-Continent MD41-151× annunciator switch for their touch-screen navigators, but the 175 appears to be missing some necessary ports. I think some homework is in order.

There seems to be a lot of great information in this post, but I have no idea what it is. I am not fluent in avionics. What do these terms mean?

There seems to be a lot of great information in this post, but I have no idea what it is. I am not fluent in avionics. What do these terms mean?
It means talk to your avionics shop if you want to share a CDI between a 175/375 and an existing NAV radio. It may be no problem as the indicators on the display of the GPS along with the GPS/NAV switch/light may be enough, or it may be a problem.

It means talk to your avionics shop if you want to share a CDI between a 175/375 and an existing NAV radio. It may be no problem as the indicators on the display of the GPS along with the GPS/NAV switch/light may be enough, or it may be a problem.
I never thought about sharing the CDI - I was planning on installed the one I've had sitting on the shelf for a few years - as soon as Garmin agrees the 175/375 will play well with it.

I was concerned about that, until I saw the video. A single finger swipe on the keyboard slides it over to the other half. It looks pretty user friendly.
I like the bigger buttons

So basically if I put a 175 in and a G5 HSI, it means I do LPV approaches off the HSI and I would do ILS approaches off my NAV/COM and its connected CDI. I think I can live with that especially if I am not keeping my plane too many more years but I want GPS capability.

So basically if I put a 175 in and a G5 HSI, it means I do LPV approaches off the HSI and I would do ILS approaches off my NAV/COM and its connected CDI. I think I can live with that especially if I am not keeping my plane too many more years but I want GPS capability.
Hm....another option...sell the CDI on the shelf( maybe $250 at most) put the G5 HSI instead of the G5 AI. Then add the 175. Really need to think about this one.

Finally found the Part 23 AFMS for the 175/375. The document does not authorize any external switching except for traffic mute, ident and go around, so any external nav source annunciator/switching between it and an HSI isn't an IFR legal install.

So much for that idea. I think Neal Romeo Golf broke the code.

Pray tell where?

Garmin site under aviation product gps 175 support. I downloaded it, so if you can't find it, shoot me an a pm with an email and I'll send it or put it in a Dropbox.

Garmin site under aviation product gps 175 support. I downloaded it, so if you can't find it, shoot me an a pm with an email and I'll send it or put it in a Dropbox.
Found it...I don't think it existed last week when everything was announced but maybe I just missed it.

Back