Tips for cleaning hangar

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
I will be getting my hangar thursday and we clean it out
do you have any tips?
what cleaning supplies would you recommend?
everything helps
thanks

For sweeping: besides the obvious big broom or leaf blower, get a dust mask.

It does your lungs no good to breathe a lot of dust, and there'll probably be plenty of it in your hangar.

Leaf blower

(I suppose I should read all posts before replying)

I have a regular broom, and a large push broom. I bring the leaf blower down in the truck every once in a while.

Leaf blower

(I suppose I should read all posts before replying)

I have a regular broom, and a large push broom. I bring the leaf blower down in the truck every once in a while.
when you leaf blow it gets a lot of dust on the roof, wouldn't recommend it

when you leaf blow it gets a lot of dust on the roof, wouldn't recommend it

On the roof of the hangar? Who cares. The plane isn't in the hangar when I am clearing it out. Why the eff would I would I want to work around the plane?

I will be getting my hangar thursday and we clean it out
do you have any tips?
Do we have to do all of your thinking for you? Some things should be self explanatory.

c’mon!

He has no need for friendship.
Friendship causes pain.

I think hangar cleaning requires much practice to get just right. Like landing a plane.

Come on out to T67 and you can clean up 5 or six hangars, starting with mine, and then you can scoot over to 52F for some real challenges.

About a week or two and you'll be the worldwide expert on hangar cleaning.

Hose it off

Edit: Just saw on the other thread.

He's 15 fellas.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I feel your pain, OP. last time @FlySince9 was in my hangar he walked in a puddle then tracked footprints all over my nice clean hangar floor. I was like doood, wtf, now I gots to clean that sht! so, basically, the footprints are still there.

I feel your pain, OP. last time @FlySince9 was in my hangar he walked in a puddle then tracked footprints all over my nice clean hangar floor. I was like doood, wtf, now I gots to clean that sht! so, basically, the footprints are still there.

This, from a guy who forgot to bring oil, to an oil change... LOL

Heavy Duty shop-vac.

Just DON'T use it to clean up fuel spills ! :D

I have cleaned out a ton of lockers and hangars...blowing it just moves the dust around to another area as well as adds dirt up high.

I sweep well, then take a shop vac with floor attachment and hit the entire floor.

If able, I will then also hit it with the pressure washer or hose as long as there is no risk of flooding the neighbors.

If you have a big drain then hose it out. Otherwise, broom is the best but when you are finished, take a spray can and make a keep out zone by the swinging doors. I just held the can at the end of the door and made dots on the floor while I swung the door. Then keep everything out of the area and the doors won't hit anything.

On the roof of the hangar? Who cares. The plane isn't in the hangar when I am clearing it out. Why the eff would I would I want to work around the plane?

Then when you put your plane back in the hangar the dust settles all over your plane :(
I keep my planes spotless so I guess I am a little more particular.
My thought would be to get a hose and completely wash the ceiling, walls and hose the floor to get all the dust and dirt out. I guess I am a little more anal than most. I have the cleanest planes at the airport. This is the dirtiest one. I would be crazy to get a leaf blower and stir up dust!
I wcub 1.png cub 7.png

My hangar is just roughed in 2 by 4 stud walls and plywood and the ceiling is non-existent it's just trusses. It does have a full concrete floor and electricity and an electric bifold but it's not finished on the inside. And since I don't own it and just lease it I'm not going to finish it.

If you're going to sweep with a broom, you might want to pick up some "sweeping compound" (available at Lowe's and other fine stores). This will help get alot of the fine stuff on the floor swept up as well.

Another problem with leaf blowers. Most of them are 2 cycle, and spew unburned 2 cycle oil that coats everything and likely causes even more dirt to stick to the walls and ceiling.

I know this because of a seasonal display at a fire station. Every year before the display goes live, one of the punch list items is to take apart the override/pause button down, dismantle it, and clean out all the oil and grit that sometimes make it stick otherwise. All because they tend to use a 2 cycle leaf blower to clean the bay floors a couple of times a week.

Leaf blowers are for lazy people!
My neighbor uses a leaf blower to dry his car! It always looks like crap. Get a Chamois and do it right!
My son details planes at the airport. He hand washes and dries them and spends quite a bit of time. The finished product looks good.
He did one awhile back and the guy could not believe how nice his plane looked.
His comment was "I usually just spray it down with a pressure washer". I can't stand lazy...

Back