What is your favorite store bought BBQ sauce?

Oh man! I love me a good horseradish. There’s a restaurant a few miles from here that makes their own. It’s GOOD!

I know! Usually reserved for prime rib but its good on anything. I haven't tried it on fish but for beef, pork and chicken, its good stuff.

I love horseradish. There's only one restaurant I've found in many years that has horseradish strong enough to bring tears to my eyes. I only use 2 or 3 sides of horseradish for my prime rib there. Everyone else is just cream sauce with a hint of horseradish.
When I sold my parents' property I had dreams of getting a shoot from my mom's plants and growing my own, but the plants had long since died. Surprised me, as I didn't think anything would kill horseradish.

Shocked at all the Sweet Baby Ray's. It's way too sweet for me. It covers the flavor rather than brings it out IMO...

That's why I mix it 50/50 with rooster sauce. Makes a good spicy sauce and cuts the sweetness a good bit.

Having lived in Korea for ten years, I have an appreciation for how crummy meat can be made tasty with good sauce.

Having a Korean wife means I get to eat some of the tastiest and spiciest on a regular basis. You would be surprised how similar Tex-Mex is to Korean when it comes to spices. The same peppers are used plus or minus, and the combination of Authentic Sonoran Mexican, Texas BBQ and Korean rib sauce is a flavor wonderland.:):):)

Wife is restricted to propane grill, though. Koreans and fire are a bad combination. :eek:

You guys wouldn't happen to own a youtube cooking channel would you?

I get bottles of the Boars Head horseradish sauce we primarily use for roast beef. Margy is growing horseradish now, so we probably will be doing that up fresh soon as well.

open pit since 1953

I think my parents bought a bottle of Open Pit about that time, and had it in their fridge for 40-odd years. :eek:

I don't do Open Pit.

If it's done right....it shouldn't need sauce. ;)

"Need" and "Want" are two different things. I agree with you, but sometimes I *want* the sauce.

I also use BBQ sauce for many things besides BBQ. I pretty much use it in place of ketchup where other people use ketchup: Burgers, fries, brats, etc I always do BBQ sauce instead of ketchup. Maybe it's because I wish I was eating BBQ. ;)

Agree, but I like the spicy version.
Stubb's Spicy for me.
Gates. If not in the KC area, Stubbs.

Oooh. @Matthew introduced me to Gates at @Ted DuPuis' place. I really liked it, but it can't be found here.

I'm doing some trial and error of my own because I am just sick of Sweet Baby Ray's. Too sweet, not enough flavor/spice IMO... And what I decided to get the other day at the store was Stubbs' Spicy. Now I'm salivating in anticipation...

Use Aunt Minota's secret sacred bbq sauce. It'll never let you down.

I love horseradish. There's only one restaurant I've found in many years that has horseradish strong enough to bring tears to my eyes. I only use 2 or 3 sides of horseradish for my prime rib there. Everyone else is just cream sauce with a hint of horseradish.
When I sold my parents' property I had dreams of getting a shoot from my mom's plants and growing my own, but the plants had long since died. Surprised me, as I didn't think anything would kill horseradish.
Unless it's freshly ground, horseradish quickly loses its ability to fry your sinuses. (I've eaten a spoonful of fresh-from-the-grinder horseradish; quite the snootful.)

If you don't like sweet and I don't, try this-

iu

It's made by the Red Tail Ale brewing company here in California. Absolutely my favorite. I'm not sure how far out of California it's available though. No HFCS made with jalapeños, mustard and even has beer in it! What's not to love?

Unless it's freshly ground, horseradish quickly loses its ability to fry your sinuses. (I've eaten a spoonful of fresh-from-the-grinder horseradish; quite the snootful.)

when my mom used to grind her horseradish (outside ONLY!), I swear the toxic plume streamed downwind for a mile!

Here’s the sauce shelf at my grocery store. A lot of national brands (Kraft, Masterpiece, ...), a lot of national/local brands (Stubbs, Gates, ...), and local brands like K&M.

Or, I can go to either of the two BBQ stores near me and find 2 or 3 times the choices, none of which are national.

Attachments

• 854AF5FD-A6DE-468D-AC32-DC8DCBE2EC70.jpeg
    854AF5FD-A6DE-468D-AC32-DC8DCBE2EC70.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 42
Here’s the sauce shelf at my grocery store. A lot of national brands (Kraft, Masterpiece, ...), a lot of national/local brands (Stubbs, Gates, ...), and local brands like K&M.

Or, I can go to either of the two BBQ stores near me and find 2 or 3 times the choices, none of which are national.

854af5fd-a6de-468d-ac32-dc8dcbe2ec70-jpeg.72863

God Bless Amerrica!

I keep forgetting about Rufus Teague (bottom left). I mean to try it sometime, but still haven't.

Some of the smaller local brands on those shelves, along with the rub shelf around the corner, are made in the same plant. There's a place in KC, used to be called "Original Juan's", that had their own line of sauces and rubs. They just changed ownership and their name, but one of the things they do is private label.

If you have a recipe and want it made commercially, you can go to them and work something out. They can make a test batch for you so you can tweak it (quantities and ingredients can vary a lot when you start making things in bulk - cayenne from supplier A has more Scoville units than from supplier B, for example). They package and label it for you, and then you are on your way to stardom...if you have around $10k and enough time and energy and money to get grocery store shelf space.

There are a small handful of acceptable sauces on that shelf:

1) Jackstack
2) Joe's
3) K&M

Anyone in KC buying anything off that shelf that is either (a) in a plastic squeeze bottle or (b) from a brand like Kraft, KC Masterpiece or Jack Daniels should be forced to leave KC. Anyone buying Arthur Bryant's sauce has no taste buds.

I need to make a K&M trip again. It's been a long time, 20 -25 yrs(?), since I've been there.

https://www.kandmbbq.com/

The first time we went, my wife ordered a small sandwich and I ordered a large. They brought out the biggest BBQ sandwich I had ever seen and asked, "Who ordered the small?"

Finishing that large became a personal quest and failure would have brought shame. But success ended up bringing a whole 'nother set of pains.

The next day I was talking to my neighbor who worked across the street from K&M. I mentioned that I got the large. He said, "No need to get the large. But everybody does...the first time."

Back