Headset pleasesss!

I do appreciate all the responses fellow friends all the information has been of much use in my research for a headset!

If you’re on a budget, a DC H10-13.4 is hard to beat.

I’ve had this headset for 6 years now. I love it! It’s reliable, pretty comfortable and about 1/3 of the price as the others. Practically impossible to beat up too.

I’m in Oregon if that helps explain the climate I will be training in most of the time. I definitely want some ANRs as I am concerned with my hearing through out the years.

If you are close to Pacific Coast Avionics in Aurora, OR they have a full headset "booth" where you can try on all the big manufacturers except the in-the-ear variants.

Probably won't have an issue with heat build up out there or it will be limited, but depends on which part of Oregon you're in.

Brian

If you’re on a budget, a DC H10-13.4 is hard to beat.

THIS! I have an A20 and recently bought an H10-13.4 for 175 bucks off eBay in near perfect condition to have as a spare and for passengers. Great deal for a beginner that will last for years. I will upgrade with the Headsets Inc. kit in a year or so for noise canceling so my lovely wife can have it a little quieter during the occasion she joins me. The noise canceling is great but, for me, only for the long run and only if the price was right. I have the A20 because I got a smoking deal on it.

I’m sorry to keep bouncing around but I just seen on this thread where you guys are talking about a kit you can install for noise canceling. I would really like to know more on that... if m new to this but, is it a “kit” you put in a passive set to turn it into active?

I'm currently sitting here with my lightspeeds on. I was recording audio for a computer instructional video I'm making. Years back someone gave me a Comm1 USB->aviation headphone adapter that I use with it.

I went with the DC one X and like them a lot. Lighter than the Bose and the clamping force isn’t anything like the older DC’s I have worn before. In fact, I thought they clamped on my head less than the Bose and lightspeed, and I have a fat head! As many others have said. Try several. It’s a lot of personal preference.

I’m sorry to keep bouncing around but I just seen on this thread where you guys are talking about a kit you can install for noise canceling. I would really like to know more on that... if m new to this but, is it a “kit” you put in a passive set to turn it into active?

Paging @FlySince9

I found me a Bose x at a guy from the airport I will be training at for 460. He let me try them on...super comfortable and I’m great shape.

Thanks for all the help guys and happy flying.

We have bose X, and light speed Sierra which are nice ANR headsets. Recently we bought a pair of Halo's and a pair of QC1 headset both of which are in ear. If you can stand ear plugs in your ear give a pair a try. 30 day trial as well so if you don't like them send them back. They are just as quiet as the clamp type ANR, require no battery, and are half the cost.

Don't get me wrong we love our bose and lightspeeds, but I love not having the clamp and extra weight on my head. Plus wearing the in ear I no longer get that funky sound from the ANR ear seal being broken by me sunglasses.

What about the Pro Flights?

You can pick up a used Bose X for around $450, they work great. I have the lightspeed Zulu's, I really like them and they have Bluetooth.

I found me a Bose x at a guy from the airport I will be training at for 460. He let me try them on...super comfortable and I’m great shape.

Thanks for all the help guys and happy flying.

Bose has been offering some sort of buy back program on the X. IDK what the value is, but check that out.

www.Headsetsinc.com

Be sure to get all the recommended accessories
except the panel mount plugs if your airplane isn’t equipped. And the comfort head pad, if you are satisfied with your current fit.

It requires that you can follow a schematic and have reasonable soldering skills.

Last edited:
I haven't tried this, but if you want really quiet, get a set of Halo's or Clarity Aloft In Ear plugs. Then, get an industrial strength set of over the ear hearing protectors. They are rated up to 29 dB attenuation. They also cover some of your skull, so there is a longer path for bone conduction, so that should help with more attenuation. I have a set of 3M X5A Peltors that I use to block annoying noise at work.

I have a LightSpeed 3G ANR headset that I plan on using with earplugs for a bit more attenuation, and to help keep sweat out of my ears.

Back