Headset pleasesss!

Bronson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bronson
OK I am planning on purchasing my first set of headsets and would like some opinions and comments from you guys. My trainer recommended DC1X headsets They said it’s all personal preference so I thought I would do some research myself and figure this form would be a great resource for a lot of great Information. The DC one X is running about $900 some places 850 free shipping, Is this about what most people pay for their headsets that are I’m going after their private pilot license and plan to continue or would you guys recommend something different??

Thank you in advance

what have you been using? personally i wouldn’t buy a headset that i’ve never worn. see if you can borrow one to try. the pilot shop at my FBO used to lend headsets they carry for trial flights. maybe yours will, too.

I have been using some older ones I caint recall the brand right off but they are passive and are uncomfortable after about a hour of use and I would really appreciate a good set...comfortable on my head and protecting my ears. The Bose a20 seems popular as well. I diddnt realize till recently they were this expensive.

Top end ANR (Active Noise Reduction) headsets are expensive. Bose A20, Lightspeed has multiple models, DC 1X, all in that range. Passive Noise Reduction (PNR) are much less. $200 for better brands. You can buy used and save money. I bought 2 pairs of Telex ANR headsets off eBay for $65. They are not Bose but they are pretty good first generation sets. Check the classifieds on here. There is a member @pigpenracing who sells a variety of used refurbs.

One thing that is critical is how they fit your head. DC makes a very good headset but I can’t wear them for more than an hour. That’s me. Find a way to try some, preferably for longer than a few minutes and ideally in the airplane.

Every combination of head and cockpit is different. You’ve got to try them yourself. Marv Golden and Sporty’s both offer generous return policies. Buying new, I think the best buy is Lightspeed Sierra. David Clark One-X is also cheaper than the top end, and very good.

I have a One-X I’d be willing to sell if you’re looking for a used one.

Some more info about your flying would help, like where are you, how hot does it get in the summer where you fly, can you wear ear plugs, etc. If you can make it to any of the bigger shops, most have displays of all their headsets so you can try them on.

If you don't have issues wearing ear plugs, I'd recommend adding either Halo's (if you can catch them), Clarity Aloft, or other versions of the in-the-ear style headsets to your search. Very comfortable, clear, and gives the most amount of room between you and the headliner. I've relegated my David Clamp's (H10-13.4's) to the two back seats for passengers. I was always getting headaches after wearing traditional headsets for more than an hour. I've had my Halo's for almost 10 years now and never had a headache due to long trips.

Do a search for QT Halo on here and you'll get more info than you'll need... ;)

Cheers,
Brian

Some people tolerate the In-Ear (Clarity Aloft, Halo), some don't. My wife loves her CA. I've used them from time to time but I still like my lightspeeds. I did get a compliment from IAD tower about how nice the microphone on the CA came across.

If you can hold off until Oshkosh or some similar event, you can go try a bunch on. Usually there's a pretty good show discount as well.

If you’re on a budget, a DC H10-13.4 is hard to beat.

I can hook you up with a like new Bose or Lightspeed at a great price. I have a variety.
This is 100% legit. I recently purchased a Zulu 3 from @pigpenracing and I think it was nearing $200 cheaper than the DC ANR set you listed in your first post. Now I'm a in-ear guy, but my wife (also a Pilot) was hooked on the Zulu 3 literally 1 second after she clicked them on :) She has flown old DC's in: 172's, 182, 337, 310, Archer's, Cubs, Chiefs, T-34, Mohawks, SAABs, etc. There is no way she would go back to passive NR.

@Bronson: meet @pigpenracing :)

I think this is also important. As much as I love in-ear and so do about maybe 10% of the others....I would recommend against using them during initial PPL training.

First off, they take time to get all setup right. I gave a ride to our friend Victoria yesterday. She put on the Zulu's, moved the mic boom and clicked them on...3 second...done! Meanwhile it probably took me 2 minutes to untangle my in-ear set, get the band in the right place, insert each ear plug just right and align the mic. You don't want to be doing that during training.

Second, if you get overly aggressive ear plugs for in-ear you may not hear the stall horn going off. I had this happen so I choose my ear plugs carefully.

Get a good ANR headset first (eg. Zulus or Bose A20). Later on, when you are signed off, if you want to try in-ear go for it. They are about half the price of the ANR headsets and you'll have a high quality ANR headset to let your passenger us. But they are not for initial training IMHO.

We have bose X, and light speed Sierra which are nice ANR headsets. Recently we bought a pair of Halo's and a pair of QC1 headset both of which are in ear. If you can stand ear plugs in your ear give a pair a try. 30 day trial as well so if you don't like them send them back. They are just as quiet as the clamp type ANR, require no battery, and are half the cost.

Don't get me wrong we love our bose and lightspeeds, but I love not having the clamp and extra weight on my head. Plus wearing the in ear I no longer get that funky sound from the ANR ear seal being broken by me sunglasses.

We have bose X, and light speed Sierra which are nice ANR headsets. Recently we bought a pair of Halo's and a pair of QC1 headset both of which are in ear. If you can stand ear plugs in your ear give a pair a try. 30 day trial as well so if you don't like them send them back. They are just as quiet as the clamp type ANR, require no battery, and are half the cost.

Don't get me wrong we love our bose and lightspeeds, but I love not having the clamp and extra weight on my head. Plus wearing the in ear I no longer get that funky sound from the ANR ear seal being broken by me sunglasses.
But do you really think he should using in-ear during PPL training?

Back when I used to fly 7-8 hours a day, DC PNR products were just too uncomfortable for me.

I am cheap and using PNR headsets for 4 years has definitely changed my hearing. So I started looking into ANR headsets.

Like I said, I don't like to spend money when I don't need to.

www.headsetsinc.com has worked for me. My head does not feel like it is in a clamp after an hour and I kept some of my hard earned money in my pocket. I used them from 110f to -40f. Plus I can call the company and order any part I need to repair my headset. I have replaced the cord and one ear speaker and did the repair myself. And after a full day of flying, I don't have a strong headache like I did with DC products. I still use the first set that I bought in 2003.

I haven't tried an in ear headset yet. I may one day.

The DC H10-13.4 is among the best of the passives, but like nearly all passives they are head clamps. Lightspeed and Bose are among the best selling quality ANR equipment, with good reason. Clamping forces are much lighter for most ANR headsets.

I'm still using a first gen Lightspeed for myself and have DCs for pax. Both models are sturdy and reliable. If you can try models on for fit all the better.

Go back & read post #12 where he explains his reasoning.
They’re not going to muffle out cockpit noise any more than an over-ear ANR headset.

You really don’t need to hear the stall horn anyway. One should be able to recognize an impending stall by the control forces.

You can pick up a used Bose X for around $450, they work great. I have the lightspeed Zulu's, I really like them and they have Bluetooth.

They’re not going to muffle out cockpit noise any more than an over-ear ANR headset.

You really don’t need to hear the stall horn anyway. One should be able to recognize an impending stall by the control forces.
Let me elaborate a bit.

A nice thing about the QT Halos is that you can just about any earplug you want. Since I have done a lot of shooting I have always been comfortable with ear plugs. My favorite have been the orange -32db or is it -33db. So I poked holes in a pair one day and holy crap. It was so silent in the cockpit. Since I have now tried our Zulu 3's I will say that the QT Halos with that specific ear plug, inserted properly is a bit quieter than the Zulus. Not by a lot, but just a bit quieter. And its that plug which is hard for me to hear the stall horn.

I used two CFIs. The first had me fly slow flight without the stall horn. The second CFI had me fly it with it blarring the whole time. The DPE was okay with it blarring during slowflight as that is how the CFI had me fly it. I wouldn't have heard it with that plug.

But I really think the reason to avoid in-ear for PPL training is the distraction and fidgeting. Its just one more thing to feel rushed or distracted, especially at the start of flight lesson. Its just my opinion. Lets put it another way. If/when my daughter learns to fly - it will not be in-ear. I know she'd be easily distracted or just waste too much time getting them in just right.

I am sure others can manage just fine. But a simple old headset is on in seconds and works 99.99% of the time. Way less distraction until you are ready to "add another layer" of things to deal with during a flight.

Sorry @Sinistar - Were you trained to put on your headset and seatbelts before engine start? I was. The 'extra' time to get ready for start is not 'distracted time', it's the only thing I'm doing. Even if it takes 5 extra minutes that's less time than would be consumed if the other seat(s) have someone other than a CFI in them, right?

If the stall warning horn did not sound during pre-flight, would you scrub the flight?

^^^ not a bad option, if you can get them under $300. Lisa wears the Bose X often.

Sorry @Sinistar - Were you trained to put on your headset and seatbelts before engine start? I was. The 'extra' time to get ready for start is not 'distracted time', it's the only thing I'm doing. Even if it takes 5 extra minutes that's less time than would be consumed if the other seat(s) have someone other than a CFI in them, right?

If the stall warning horn did not sound during pre-flight, would you scrub the flight?
Ummm….I don't check the stall horn buzzer during preflight...is that bad? I always put a hand on it, look at it to make sure nothing is in there then make sure it can freely move up and down. But I don't do this with the Master turned on. Now I have to go check my POH to see if that is an actual preflight checklist step??? Do other planes / pilots actually check the stall horn buzzer noise during pre-flight?

Lets say I could check it during pre-flight. It would be with my headset off and the engine not running so I don't think it would be a fair test of whether I could hear it in flight. Maybe I am missing something here?

I'll answer your first question last. Ordering of doing things. I'm leaving out small steps but here is my startup routine:

1.) Preflight is all done.
2.) Passenger briefings are all done.
3.) Plane is pushed out and positioned to be started.
4.) Headsets are plugged into jacks and hanging up out of the way.
5.) I help the passengers get in. Their seatbelts must be on. Their door is shut...but not locked.
6.) I get in. My seatbelt is on. My door is shut...but not locked.
7.) Checklists are being used.
...at this point the passengers are safe if the plane starts moving unexpectedly
...at this point the passengers can get out very quickly if there is a problem "fire"
...emergency exit is simple: remove 1 seatbelt, open unlocked door. No headset cables in the way.
8.) I start the plane
9.) I turn on the radios (we all avoid that nasty pop in the headsets)
10.) I finish the Startup Checklist (not the run up, so its not loud and I can hear everything)
11.) We put on the headsets & test
12.) Position the plane as needed to do the run-up and depart.

...so no, I do not put on the headsets first. I delay it as long as I can. That also means during the summer we aren't putting them on until we get some airflow.

Like how many rules have I just broken :)

Like how many rules have I just broken :)

No rules.

But... When I walk around any plane with a stall vane I turn the master on, flick it up, and listen. For a Piper that involves reaching through the little pass through window. For equipped Cessnas I check it while I've got the master on for the fuel indicator check. IIRC, they sell little testers to blow the cesna vanes that are not a switch, and worst case there is the "blow test" but I'm too anal for that!! If you can hear the horn (or see the light) outside the plane you're good.

As to before or after engine start for putting on the headset... You've got a 182, right? Them thar doors, and often windows, can be open all the way to the run up area. In Pipers I call Lisa my A/C operator. She holds the passenger door open until runup. heehee.

I have a Senheiser but they stopped selling them, really good set. Did some research and bought the DC 1 X, the best set I have ever owned. Still have an original one from the 70's that works great. I tried my son's Bose but it hurt my head after 30 minutes. But I have a fat head, my wife would agree. The DC are more comfortable to me and are VERY quiet. But as stated above, try before you buy. Hope that helps.

I personally use Kore and love my headset. They've been comfortable during my 26 hours of training so far. https://amzn.to/2Tpuew4 + https://amzn.to/2TVZyHK for the cloth covers. You can get them both for under $175 total. I haven't had any problems with them but I've been told that Kore's customer service is pretty helpful.

No rules.

But... When I walk around any plane with a stall vane I turn the master on, flick it up, and listen. For a Piper that involves reaching through the little pass through window. For equipped Cessnas I check it while I've got the master on for the fuel indicator check. IIRC, they sell little testers to blow the cesna vanes that are not a switch, and worst case there is the "blow test" but I'm too anal for that!! If you can hear the horn (or see the light) outside the plane you're good.

As to before or after engine start for putting on the headset... You've got a 182, right? Them thar doors, and often windows, can be open all the way to the run up area. In Pipers I call Lisa my A/C operator. She holds the passenger door open until runup. heehee.
You know what I like about this place...always learning something.

When I reach in and turn on the master to check lights and fuel I'm gonna flip up the stall sensor paddle as I walk over to check the pilot side light wing tip light. I should be sure that thing is working.

You can pick up a used Bose X for around $450, they work great. I have the lightspeed Zulu's, I really like them and they have Bluetooth.
I have the Lightspeed Zulu Z3s also and really like them. I flew for 15+years with passive headsets and wish I would have got a decent ANR set sooner. I have also tried the Bose after using the Lightspeed Z3s for a few years. I like the Z3s better - but that may be becasue I am used to them. Try a few different brands but get a good headset early on. I am sure the cheaper headsets contributed to my hearing loss over the years.

But do you really think he should using in-ear during PPL training?
Why not? It's hearing protection and a mic just like the others. During my training I used some peice of junk sound silencer anr headset. Bought is new for cheap. Did it's job until it broke.

Why not? It's hearing protection and a mic just like the others. During my training I used some peice of junk sound silencer anr headset. Bought is new for cheap. Did it's job until it broke.
But that set was simple. With Halo's you are untangling them, fidgeting with each ear plug, messing around with the mic, etc. I think it took me about 10 flights with the Halo's before I had everything the way I liked them. So maybe its just me. Maybe a few other Halo users can chime in on whether they think they are good for PPL training? I'm just stating my opinion and what I would recommend.

I have KORE as my first set. They were the only cheap ones I tried that were comfy for me. Decent NR for passive. Their best role is for passengers though IMO.
Next I got the QT Halo's. Loved em for what they are.
I will say that @Sinistar is correct that if you have the hobbs running you'll pay a little extra for the Halo's. May not add up to much, but it will be there.
The Halo's are awesome for saving space in the flight bag, and comfy for long periods...they sort of disappear like they are not there. Mic positioning is their worst feature. No batteries to worry about though.
Next came the Zulu 3's. They are what I use most now especially for short flights. Partially because of the bluetooth, and partially because they are quick and easy, comfy, and have a great cord.
They also have higher quality sound than any of the sets I mention, and a good mic/boom.
I have tried the Bose A20's a few times now, and honestly, they are as good or better than the Zulu 3's in comfort and sound quality. They feel perfect to me.
I'd like to have a hybrid - A20 with Zulu cord. Pigpenracing declares the Zulu 3 to have superior ANR, but I can't verify or deny.

Haven't tried the new DC's. Heard good things though.

As always, try them all before buying...but you really can't go too wrong with anything mentioned in this thread so far. Price is usually relative to quality, so decide what level you want, then compare.

Last edited:
But that set was simple. With Halo's you are untangling them, fidgeting with each ear plug, messing around with the mic, etc. I think it took me about 10 flights with the Halo's before I had everything the way I liked them. So maybe its just me. Maybe a few other Halo users can chime in on whether they think they are good for PPL training? I'm just stating my opinion and what I would recommend.

Yup. Just you. I'm curious how long you spend getting your iJunk synched to your ADS-B In thing.

10 seconds! No iJunk...Android.

LIES! is it panel mounted, or do you futz around getting into a RAM mount, running the cords, checking it has power... Even it's coupled to a 345 or some such thing there is pairing time.

In ear headsets take nothing close to that amount of time.

LIES! is it panel mounted, or do you futz around getting into a RAM mount, running the cords, checking it has power... Even it's coupled to a 345 or some such thing there is pairing time.

In ear headsets take nothing close to that amount of time.
Our GDL is ships powered. Just press the button. We have a permanent ram mount on the panel and takes like 2 seconds to slide it in wits just 1 hand. I leave the GP tablet software running so just press the button once and it's on. The Android GP automatically synchs with the tablet, I've never clocked the adsb in synch time because it's always ready before I ever even get in the plane. If you are spending more than 20 seconds on this step you've got something setup wrong or maybe it's a rental situation.

OK I am planning on purchasing my first set of headsets and would like some opinions and comments from you guys.
It is impossible subject, it is like discussing art.
Consider me - I got both Clarity Aloft and Lightspeed Zulu Z3 and to this day I can't make up my mind which one is better. On hot days I definitely prefer CA.

The best thing you can do is go somewhere to try on as many headsets as you can. Eventually, you'll find one that works for you. Don't be too surprised a dozen years in the future when you find that you have about 5 different headsets in your inventory. I have a couple PNR cheapies that are Spruce branded for the back seat pax ($70/ea). I'm personally using the a David Clark PNR headset that I used the Headsets, Inc. kit in. I used to have two of them, but after 15 years, one of the ANR kits finally died. I have an additional Softcomm stereo cheapie that I put the Headsets, Inc. kit in, and it is basically identical in fit and function. (All the DC-style headsets in my inventory also have the Oregon Aero hushkit upgrades on them).

All of those headset were functional, but my wife was never happy until I bought her a QT Halo. Until I bought her a Halo, she was basically asleep about 5 minutes after takeoff. Come to find out, she is just very sensitive to the clamping force, and the Halo made flying a totally different experience for her! Now she stays awake, takes selfies, actually helps fly, etc.--all because of the more comfortable headset!

At work, I've used DC ANRs, Telex Airman's, Bose X and Bose A20's. All are good headsets, although the A20 frames are the most comfortable of the major three. The Bose X earcups are too small for my liking, and I find that they hurt after a couple hours. Also, the A20 earseals are far superior in comparison to the X's. The DC ANRs that I have tried are basically the same as my old DCs that I converted. As for the ANR quality, I actually find that the DC ANRs are slightly more comfortable. The Bose ANR gives my ears a significant sensation of "fullness" when you turn them on. I eventually get used to them, and I find that the comfort of the Bose A20 frame is more than worth the 30 mins of initial "fullness" feeling.

On a really long trip (multi-day) one of the best things to have is a different headset in your bag as a spare, because you never know when you might want a break from your regular headset. A few years ago, I flew 50 hours in a week, and I was happy just to have a different headset for a change partway through the trip!

Cheers!

On a sidenote, if you mess up a plug on the older headsets, you solder on a new $5 plug. A replacement cord for the Bose A20 is $199 for non-Bluetooth, and $299 for Bluetooth.... Just a data point!

Every combination of head and cockpit is different. You’ve got to try them yourself. Marv Golden and Sporty’s both offer generous return policies. Buying new, I think the best buy is Lightspeed Sierra. David Clark One-X is also cheaper than the top end, and very good.

I have a One-X I’d be willing to sell if you’re looking for a used one.
What’s the condition and asking price??

Back