Getting back into flying, I have a couple questions.

Chris Twilley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
CT
I am getting back into flying after a 23 year break. I was preparing for my PPL check ride and life happened so had to quit due to finances. I got my finances in order and would like to purchase an aircraft. So question #1- Is financing available for someone without a license? Question #2-, I really want a Cessna 182 but wondering if I should get something like a C-172 or PA28 to start with then move up? Also, I can probably pay cash for a PA28 so there is that.

Last edited:
First thing make sure you can pass a 3rd class medical. Do some searching on here. There is a wealth of information available that should be reviewed before going to the AME for your medical.

Do not schedule the appt. until you are 100% sure you will pass.

There are AME’s on here that will post and their guidance will be most helpful.

First thing make sure you can pass a 3rd class medical. Do some searching on here. There is a wealth of information available that should be reviewed before going to the AME for your medical.

Do not schedule the appt. until you are 100% sure you will pass.

There are AME’s on here that will post and their guidance will be most helpful.
Good point! I don't think the medical will be an issue but yeah definitely will start there.

Get the third class in hand, then shop. If you want a 182, then get one. 6 months into that 172 or Cherokee, you are going to regret not getting the plane you actually want. Then you have to go through the pain of selling, then shopping again. It’s a sellers market right now so you are not going to find any smokin deals unless it’s an off market plane you stumble on.

You won’t have any trouble getting financing assuming your credit is good and you are coming in with substantial cash as it sounds like you have. 20% down is expected, but more down to them equates to less risk.

I took a 14 year break and got back in the saddle. In two days with a CFI, I was very confident and flew the longest XC I had every done in fact! Kinda had to though as the plane was 1200 miles away when I bought it....

Is there any particular reason you have your heart set on a 182?

Is there any particular reason you have your heart set on a 182?[/QUOTE
Eventually I plan to do some traveling with my family. I always liked the high wing aircraft and the dual doors. I think the 182 is just about right in terms of affordability and performance. I lean toward a Turbo RG model too which is another reason I think I should build some experience before jumping into one. I would also consider other options of course. The Super Viking has always caught my attention too.

Eventually I plan to do some traveling with my family. I always liked the high wing aircraft and the dual doors. I think the 182 is just about right in terms of affordability and performance. I lean toward a Turbo RG model too which is another reason I think I should build some experience before jumping into one. I would also consider other options of course. The Super Viking has always caught my attention too.

Family travel? Unless the family is small then yeah, I'm with @Unit74 . Get all your ducks in order (medical, financing, checkride, etc) and buy a 182. If you can get a HELOC then I'd do that rather than aircraft specific financing.

I am getting back into flying after a 23 year break. I was preparing for my PPL check ride and life happened so had to quit due to finances. I got my finances in order and would like to purchase an aircraft. So question #1- Is financing available for someone without a license? Question #2-, I really want a Cessna 182 but wondering if I should get something like a C-172 or PA28 to start with then move up? Also, I can probably pay cash for a PA28 so there is that.
the 182 is a great aircraft for your intentions. I'd start by getting a good check out in one prior to buying. I hate not being able to fly the aircraft you buy, back home.
Your first goal should be getting you Bi-annual Flight Review completed, there has been a lot of changes in the rules in 23 years.

I am not in a position to verify right now but for Basic Med I believe you have to have been issued an FAA physical within the last 10 years. Since it has been 23, I think he will need to get issued the physical.
Yep,, forgot about that.

I am getting back into flying after a 23 year break.
I got back into flying after 22 years so we are close .
But I would pass checkride first, then purchase a plane, I know of a fellow here in our club who purchased a plane and was never able to complete his PPL.

BasicMed requirement is "held a medical at any time since July 2006", isn't it? Not a "rolling" ten years (still doesn't help the OP).

I'm going with the finish up and then buy crowd.

Renting while you finish may "appear" to cost more, but those T182RG's aren't exactly flying away at bargain prices these days. Could take another 23 years to find the right one.

Also, there's the small risk that you get your plane home, do your finish up work, and decide flying isn't as fun as you thought it was 23 yrs ago, or the wife or kids don't dig it, and now your flying alone in a nice plane that is a bit much for your mission.

Don't buy until passing the checkride, and get a few hours and trips. You'll be in a better position to decide what to buy. Also, if you decide to take a break from flying for any reason, make sure you complete what you've been working on, checkride, rating, before taking that break. It makes a huge difference when you get back. I was a CFII, stopped flying for 10 years and came back. All I had to do was get a medical, flight review, IPC, and I was back in business. If I had to redo the CFI checkride again, I probably would not have bothered to ever come back.

Back