U.S. LSA vs. Canadian AUL

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I'm asking this really just out of curiosity. I am back and forth between the U.S. and Texas a lot so obviously very interested in aviation and regulations on both sides of the border.

In the U.S. we have the LSA category. Those are properly registered aircrafts with an N-number. As far as I know, they also have an airworthy certificate.

In Canada, we have the Advanced Ultra Light (AUL) category. Those are also registered aircrafts with a C-number, but as far as I know, do not have an airworthy certificate.

Many LSA aircrafts (max. takeoff weight 1,320 lbs) would also qualify as AUL aircrafts (max. takeoff weight 1,232 lbs).

Following scenario: A pilot with an FAA PPL and a Transport Canada (TC) validation of that license wants to build time towards his/her FAA CPL. The pilot flies an N-registered Challenger II LSA in the U.S. and is allowed to log these hours towards the total time requirement and the PIC time requirement towards the CPL, correct?

That same pilot escapes the Texas heat in Canada and flies a C-registered Challenger II AUL aircraft, with the exact same specs. Based on my understandings of the FARs, those hours can't be logged towards PIC time for the CPL, since the aircraft does not have an airworthy certificate, correct? What about towards the total time requirement?

I just picked the Challenger as it was the first one to come to mind but feel free to imagine any other, more advanced LSA/AUL aircraft. Some of them have full glass panels and don't fly much differently than a C-152 or Alarus.

P.S. In Canada, if you have a TC PPL, they allow you to log up to 25 hours of time in an AUL aircraft towards a TC CPL.

What do you think about the above?

According to the FARs you can log the time in the US registered plane with an airworthiness certificate but the time in the Canadian registered plane without an airworthiness certificate can’t be used as PIC or total time towards a US certificate.

61.51(j) Aircraft requirements for logging flight time. For a person to log flight time, the time must be acquired in an aircraft that is identified as an aircraft under §61.5(b), and is—

(1) An aircraft of U.S. registry with either a standard or special airworthiness certificate;

(2) An aircraft of foreign registry with an airworthiness certificate that is approved by the aviation authority of a foreign country that is a Member State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation Organization

Last edited:
Back