What is your favorite store bought BBQ sauce?

I used to get Sweet Baby Ray's, but we have a BBQ place here in Atlanta that receives a lot of national press called 'Fox Bros. BBQ'. They sell their sauce in Kroger here. May sell it elsewhere but that's where we buy it.

N32X1vjs.png

This is relevant to my interests.

Is Fox Bros worth the trip?

This is relevant to my interests.

Is Fox Bros worth the trip?

I think it's pretty good and it shows up in a lot of national lists for best BBQ. It is my go-to place for BBQ. Good brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. I guess maybe it depends on how long the trip is. How far would you being going?

What do you think of Fat Matt's?

I just moved to ATL and miss my tried-n-true bbq.

I think it's pretty good and it shows up in a lot of national lists for best BBQ. It is my go-to place for BBQ. Good brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. I guess maybe it depends on how long the trip is. How far would you being going?

Marietta area.

I used to get Sweet Baby Ray's, but we have a BBQ place here in Atlanta that receives a lot of national press called 'Fox Bros. BBQ'. They sell their sauce in Kroger here. May sell it elsewhere but that's where we buy it.

N32X1vjs.png
Will have to give it a try next time I'm down that way. I'm always game to try a new BBQ joint!

Not a fan, I BBQ over wood, and just use a little extra virgin olive oil, cracked pepper and sea salt and garlic before I toss my lamb or bison on, I like the meat to speak for itself

I'll give a second nod to Bull's Eye Original, but I like it as cold as possible when I put it on or have it for dipping.

Been looking for an alternative to the go-to ‘Sweet Baby Rays’ lately. Still in the trial and error phase, but this one is pretty good for a store bought.

09D372FA-7442-4B0D-A793-3F417E19E3BD.jpeg

Do you slow cook your meat for 3 1/2 years?

Nice necro thread!

I used to be limited in store bought sauce because I lived in the part of the country that doesn't know Q from poo. There, Bullseye Original with some added spices was adequate. Now that I am living in the land of BBQ, "store bought" means every sauce known to mankind, picked from the 30 foot long sauce section at any HEB! I will not live long enough to sample the hundreds of different sauces available here.

That said, the section containing the Stubb's seems to be more prone to emptying out than the other stuff...

I'm a fan of Stubbs. This will probably be blasphemy, and it isn't traditional "BBQ", but I'm also a big fan of the Trader Joe's "Korean BBQ" sauce they stock. Pretty easy to throw some scraps of basically whatever into a baggie with that, marinate for an hour or two, and toss on the grill with great end flavor. Again, not BBQ like most think of it, and not really even traditional in a Korean sense.....but still good IMHO.

I have never bought barbecue sauce from the store. I always make my own.

I'm a fan of Stubbs. This will probably be blasphemy, and it isn't traditional "BBQ", but I'm also a big fan of the Trader Joe's "Korean BBQ" sauce they stock.

Having lived in Korea for ten years, I have an appreciation for how crummy meat can be made tasty with good sauce.

Having a Korean wife means I get to eat some of the tastiest and spiciest on a regular basis. You would be surprised how similar Tex-Mex is to Korean when it comes to spices. The same peppers are used plus or minus, and the combination of Authentic Sonoran Mexican, Texas BBQ and Korean rib sauce is a flavor wonderland.:):):)

Wife is restricted to propane grill, though. Koreans and fire are a bad combination. :eek:

What is the sauce for? Did you mess up cooking the meat? That’s like putting A-1 on a steak.

A light bit of vinegar, salt and pepper if I’m saucing it. But I’m still confused by the concept of store bought sauce.

Now I have to make a batch of my own sauce again. It's been a while, I wanted to tweak the recipe a bit from the last time and haven't followed up.

Way back, an in earlier post in this thread, I said I liked Stubb's. I still do, that's what I have right now. I also usually keep other bottles of local sauces: Hayward's, Zarda, Joe's, and Bryant's. When I feel like it, I'll get Blues Hog and Sweet Baby Ray's.

For folks that say BBQ doesn't need sauce, I'll say that when making a sammich, I like to sauce the Q. If it's on a plate, I'll dip ribs, but otherwise I usually leave the meat alone.

Now I have to make a batch of my own sauce again. It's been a while, I wanted to tweak the recipe a bit from the last time and haven't followed up.

Way back, an in earlier post in this thread, I said I liked Stubb's. I still do, that's what I have right now. I also usually keep other bottles of local sauces: Hayward's, Zarda, Joe's, and Bryant's. When I feel like it, I'll get Blues Hog and Sweet Baby Ray's.

For folks that say BBQ doesn't need sauce, I'll say that when making a sammich, I like to sauce the Q. If it's on a plate, I'll dip ribs, but otherwise I usually leave the meat alone.

Can't cotton to Bryant's. It's too mustardy and haven't been able to find a way to use it. Gates is easily my go-to on anything other than beef.

You folks aren't bothered by HFCS being the main ingredient in Sweet Baby Ray's?
One of the reasons I’ve began looking for something else. Also ditched the Heinz 57 sauce due to HFCS.

Been looking for an alternative to the go-to ‘Sweet Baby Rays’ lately. Still in the trial and error phase, but this one is pretty good for a store bought.

View attachment 72816
Stubbs is what I use for those who insist on that kind of sauce. Other than that, the closest to store bought is my periodic trips to get a gallon of dip from Lexington Style Trimmings (it comes in a gallon vinegar jug which is obiviously a major ingredient).
Someday, I might be able to coerce the recipe out of them. Best Lexington-style dip I've tasted (and I've tasted it at every place in town). Haven't been able to reproduce it and as long as I can buy it, I don't need to.

Back