Destination: Fallingwater

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
Ever heard of Kaufman's Department Store of Pittsburgh? I hadn't and wasn't familiar with the name until today.

Flew into Connellsville, PA (KVVS) about 40 nms SE of KPIT. Very nice FBO with a decent crew car/SUV that despite the rust ran strong. NW winds gave us a decent push for the 160 nm flight and we arrived in plenty of time to catch our 12:30 tour. We headed to Fallingwater, a Frank Lloyd Wright design commissioned by the Kaufman family as their weekend retreat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallingwater Spectacular mid-century modern design and interior and grounds.IMG_1526s.jpg IMG_1519s.jpg

Into town for lunch and a stop to refuel the crew car and it was back at 8500' for smooth air and an easy 2 hour flight home. I finally found something my wife was interested in doing via airplane and we had a great time with some friends that flew up from Cincinnati to join us. Highly recommended day-trip!

The pictures I have seen have always been beautiful and it is one of the most recognizable houses in the US. I understand the concrete cantilevered porches aren’t holding up well to time and gravity, but it is a spectacular house. One pipe dream is to be able to fly a vacation from place to place and tour Wright houses.

I never thought of it before, but google just informed me that Frank Lloyd is an 8th cousin of Wilbur and Orville.

BTDT and I concur heartily. Went there during fall foliage, it was spectacular scenery and the the cool air invigorating, and spent the night so we wouldn't feel rushed.

There is a lot of outdoor activity including rafting and hiking too. Plans are to come back and take advantage...

Yep, well worth the visit. I've been a couple of times. The folks that operate it seem a bit over-protective and its pricy, but it is worth the visit. A couple of the places in Ohiopyle are decent for lunch.

The Flight 93 memorial is not too far and is also worth the visit.

Seven Springs resort is also right there as well (they used to have an airport, but not open during the ski season because the trails ran across it).
The tour guide joked with me because I knew enough FLW history that I was cutting into his spiel.
Of course, I've studied FLW extensively and Margy and I honeymooned travelling around the FLW sites in Chicago and Wisconsin and then went out to see Taliesin West.

Of course, you've seen pics of my house.

Nice write up Gregg. We will make that a destination in the near future.

Seven Springs resort is also right there as well (they used to have an airport, but not open during the ski season because the trails ran across it).
The tour guide joked with me because I knew enough FLW history that I was cutting into his spiel.
Of course, I've studied FLW extensively and Margy and I honeymooned travelling around the FLW sites in Chicago and Wisconsin and then went out to see Taliesin West.

Of course, you've seen pics of my house.
One thing I remember and was curious to find out more about, but can't find anything searching the web, is the canopied stairs going up to the guest house and how they have no apparent means of support. Would like more info if you have it.

The steps sit on the ground directly. The canopy is more cantelever magic. It protrudes out from the guesthouse and then down to a stone pillar near the bottom of the steps. There's an augmenting post near a few of the jags in it. Not much weight on it, unlike the main house cantilevers which they're worried about sag (you'll find strain gauges all over it to measure the deflection). They redid some of the structure in 2001 to fix the sag.

Nemacolin Resort is also not too far. It does have an airstrip for hotel guests PPR.

Back