Logging Flights Reviews and IPC's in IACRA

sonopoa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sonopoa
I have recently discovered that, while not mandatory, the FAA are suggesting that pilots record dates of flight review or IPC into IACRA and it is preferred.

This should be done by the examiner/instructor.

I am curious to know if people are generally doing that nowadays in addition to updating your logbook or if the examiners/instructors are finding that a bit of a burden.

For avoidance of doubt I am not referring to adding a new rating or qualification, just recording the flight review or ipc flights as they occur.

One seems to have to fill in the 8710-1 IACRA form again.

thank you.
FAA Advisory circulars 61-98C and 61-98D do refer to this.

(When I remember) I'm letting the trainee know it's an option and leaving it up to them. Mostly, they say "no."

I'm not doing it for the reviews and IPCs I receive.

I should add that most of the FRs I receive are recorded by the FAA anyway - I tend to do mine through WINGS.

Last edited:
It seems that not many do this, what is interesting is that the FAA write in 61-98D

(my bold and underline)

"Flight Review and IPC. When a pilot satisfactorily completes a flight review or IPC, the applicant should provide, and the evaluating flight instructor should submit, a completed FAA Form 8710-1 to the Airmen Certification Branch (AFB-720). The FAA does not require FAA Form 8710-1 for a pilot’s flight review or IPC; however, the FAA strongly encourages all applicants and flight instructors to follow this recommendation. When submitted, AFB-720 will add the application to the pilot’s FAA record. Pilots should ensure that their data is current, because up-to-date records benefit everyone. For example, a pilot’s total flight time and aeronautical experience determines insurance premiums. If a pilot loses his or her logbook, an FAA record is on file and available. Nevertheless, submitting FAA Form 8710-1 for a flight review or IPC is optional."

I have recently discovered that, while not mandatory, the FAA are suggesting that pilots record dates of flight review or IPC into IACRA and it is preferred.

This should be done by the examiner/instructor.

I am curious to know if people are generally doing that nowadays in addition to updating your logbook or if the examiners/instructors are finding that a bit of a burden.

For avoidance of doubt I am not referring to adding a new rating or qualification, just recording the flight review or ipc flights as they occur.

One seems to have to fill in the 8710-1 IACRA form again.

thank you.
FAA Advisory circulars 61-98C and 61-98D do refer to this.

Baaaaahahahaha!

giphy.gif

I never have. I've never been asked to and have never brought it up. If the pilot wants to ensure they have backup records in case they lose their logbook, filling out a Flight Review IACRA form is a lousy way to do that - incomplete and a mere snapshot in time. There are many better options like online logbooks or just making copies of your logbook pages.

I find it interesting the way the FAA changes definitions of words to suit their purpose...in the ACSs, the word “should” means it’s expected unless you have a really good reason not to. Here it means, “eh, whatever you want to do.”

It seems that not many do this, what is interesting is that the FAA write in 61-98D

(my bold and underline)

"Flight Review and IPC. When a pilot satisfactorily completes a flight review or IPC, the applicant should provide, and the evaluating flight instructor should submit, a completed FAA Form 8710-1 to the Airmen Certification Branch (AFB-720). The FAA does not require FAA Form 8710-1 for a pilot’s flight review or IPC; however, the FAA strongly encourages all applicants and flight instructors to follow this recommendation. When submitted, AFB-720 will add the application to the pilot’s FAA record. Pilots should ensure that their data is current, because up-to-date records benefit everyone. For example, a pilot’s total flight time and aeronautical experience determines insurance premiums. If a pilot loses his or her logbook, an FAA record is on file and available. Nevertheless, submitting FAA Form 8710-1 for a flight review or IPC is optional."

I can't see a downside, but I'm sure someone will.

Filing in IACRA becomes a public record. Also they don’t need to search for logbooks to get data in the event of a fatal accident.

I don't see any up side to bringing myself to the FAA's attention. Other than renewing the registration on my ride every few years, I might as well not exist as far as the FAA is concerned. And, that's fine by me.

The reason it isn’t worth the effort is the IACRA submission does not replace the logbook entry requirement. Nor does the IACRA document the elements that were required to meet the regulation.

Just one more (bad) excuse for a checkride applicant to not bring the logbooks they're supposed to...

Applicant: "I did a flight review last month, here's that 8710 and my logbook with my flight times since then."

Examiner: "No checkride today. Have a nice day."

Filing in IACRA becomes a public record. Also they don’t need to search for logbooks to get data in the event of a fatal accident.

Yes, you are required to carry your logbook on flights arent you ? - if the unthinkable happens, it is likely that will be lost in severe accident. The NTSB report section covering pilot experience ("we dont have information as to the last Flight Review or IPC because the log book was lost.."

I think up above someone mentioned they file in Wings - wings is an outstanding programme, but not sure if the NTSB look there..
Also someone mentioned a downside of bring attention to the FAA not sure I follow ..they have your certificate and address details on the record anyway ?

I can understand the downside there is a bit of additional time to complete the 8510-1 to give your instructor examiner, but I think that is the only downside..?

Yes, you are required to carry your logbook on flights arent you ?
only student pilots on cross countries, recreational, and sport pilots are required to carry their logbooks. Besides, logbooks are heading into the cloud anyway. Hard to lose those in a crash, even if one cares whether the NTSB has their logbook or not.

I think up above someone mentioned they file in Wings - wings is an outstanding programme, but not sure if the NTSB look there..
Why wouldn't the NTSB look at FAA records of pilot currency? Wings is a FAA program.

Also someone mentioned a downside of bring attention to the FAA not sure I follow ..they have your certificate and address details on the record anyway ?

I can understand the downside there is a bit of additional time to complete the 8510-1 to give your instructor examiner, but I think that is the only downside..?
Some folks simply feel it's an unnecessary intrusion and/or are simply suspicious about why the FAA wants to collect that data. Even with respect to WINGS, I've heard folks say the goal is to change currency requirements - to do to the FR what has been done to the IPC (specific required tasks rather than instructor discretion).

Back