Gaston’s Fly-in Oct 4-6, 2019!

JC, thanks for thinking of me. I have my Vacation time pretty well planned out with Rough River in April, a trip to VA in May and 6Y9 in August. Plus a week for Surgery sometime this year. I am hoping those trips will work out. Dr appointment tomorrow to discuss bilateral knee replacement and not sure when that will end up being scheduled.

I do want to get my wife to Gaston's at some point, as she would love the fishing there.

JC, thanks for thinking of me. I have my Vacation time pretty well planned out with Rough River in April, a trip to VA in May and 6Y9 in August. Plus a week for Surgery sometime this year. I am hoping those trips will work out. Dr appointment tomorrow to discuss bilateral knee replacement and not sure when that will end up being scheduled.

I do want to get my wife to Gaston's at some point, as she would love the fishing there.

Best wishes for the Dr appt!

Cancellation policy has been relaxed to $75 with 15 days notice fwiw.

Sweet! We had reservations last year for the fly-in and of course the weather didn't cooperate. We called them and they transferred the reservation to Thanksgiving. They've always been very accommodating to us.

Now if only we could charge meteorologists the $75 when they botch the forecast 15 days out. :D

Well the verdict is in. Will be having bilateral (as in both) knee replacement mid June.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I’ve heard that’s the best way to go, both at once. Recover quick!

Well the verdict is in. Will be having bilateral (as in both) knee replacement mid June.
I've always wondered.... what would a chair look like if our knees bent the other way....

Untrue. Last year I was the only one there. The weather sucked, remember?
I think last year was a leap year or something. The exception to the exception.

Yeah, John... and you have the purrrr-fect airplane to make that event!

(( still jealous how luck you got finding Ruby ))

Wait, what, a fly-in when I'm actually off work. It's never been done. I'm kind of scared now. I did see a facebook post with picture of a pig flying.

Wait, what, a fly-in when I'm actually off work. It's never been done. I'm kind of scared now. I did see a facebook post with picture of a pig flying.

Talk about a softball being lobbed...

To be clear, I'm quite glad about this because I'm fresh out of vacation for the year and wouldn't be able to go otherwise.

You going, Ed?

If the weather permits, there is last minute lodging available, and I've either recovered from or haven't had surgery.

Why do you think we moved it up a week....

See Post #17

Hurry up and get that 'other' fly-in out of the way so we can talk about Gaston's!

Maybe you should show up to it, and we can talk about Gaston's while you're up here! :D

Wish I could. My west coast fishing trip got in the way. Leaving Thursday for a 5-dayer out of San Diego

Unfortunately, I won't be in attending this year. But have a good reason....

I am attending a CFI academy that is highly regarded in these parts. Same one @JCranford attended.

Wish I could. My west coast fishing trip got in the way. Leaving Thursday for a 5-dayer out of San Diego
Lucky you... in more way than one.... allows you to have loads of fun and call it an R&D expense for them fishin' belts.

From someone who's never been to Gaston's, how big of an event is it? I've been reading about it for years here on PoA. How many aircraft usually show up?

From someone who's never been to Gaston's, how big of an event is it? I've been reading about it for years here on PoA. How many aircraft usually show up?
That is a moving target. Depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is the weather. I have been there when only three or four airplanes showed up and when 35 or 40 showed up. IIRC, last year only Bruce showed up but the weather was exceptionally crappy.

That is a moving target. Depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is the weather. I have been there when only three or four airplanes showed up and when 35 or 40 showed up. IIRC, last year only Bruce showed up but the weather was exceptionally crappy.

How'd Bruce get there? Is he not only a fine doc, but a pilot that can fly in anything? I always wondered how he made it.

I'm going to try to go but it may just be a day trip or if there's an available couch for me to crash on I might stay the night.

I'm going to try to go but it may just be a day trip or if there's an available couch for me to crash on I might stay the night.

We have a cabin reserved so will likely have an extra bedroom and a couch available.

The three times Ive been were 10-12 planes.

We have a cabin reserved so will likely have an extra bedroom and a couch available.

The three times Ive been were 10-12 planes.

I was there one year where we filled up the parking area, and had probably another 10-15 planes parked down each side of the runway. Not all were from PoA but at least 75% were.

Due to their cancellation policy, I will be a "day of" decision. I'll toss my sleeping bag in the plane, and see where I may end up.

Back