Flaps and Short/Soft Field T/O & Ldgs

apr911

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
apr911
Curious as to how everyone manages flaps in Short/Soft field take offs and short field landings. I realize every plane is different and some planes, such as Cirrus, have defined flap settings even for normal takeoffs while others, such as the Grumman AA-5 I flew actually recommend against full flap landings so for the purpose of this conversation, I am particularly interested in flap management of typical trainers, particularly C172's (and like) and PA28's (and like) aircraft.

I recently got into a discussion with a CFI about what the book says about short/soft field takeoffs, what the FAA in the form of a DPE says and how they differ from what was being taught.

The handbook says to retract flaps at a safe maneuvering altitude.
The DPE says the FAA likes to see the flaps retracted at 700 AGL.
The CFI says the flaps should be retracted as soon as you clear the obstacle and put forward that teaching students to retract them higher is bad form since the FAA (via the book, whether the DPE as a designate representative of the FAA is the FAA or not is another debate) doesn't say to retract them at 700 AGL.

To me, I find the book and the DPE to be closer to in-sync than the CFI on the basis that the first 2 notches of flap are generating more lift than they are drag so early retraction of flaps reduces lift and can cause you to settle back into your obstacle(s) (lets assume its a forest of 50' trees).

Additionally, looking at the "safe maneuvering altitude" I could make the argument that, independent of the DPE's comments, the recommendation by the FAA to wait to turn cross wind until 700 ft AGL and limiting turns before this point to the minimum necessary shallow turns to comply with any obstacle avoidance or noise abatement procedure is indication that 700 AGL is the point that the FAA considers to be the safe maneuvering altitude. Conversely, while it deals with approaches not departures I could also make the argument that flaps should not be retracted before 400 ft AGL on the basis that stabilized approach criteria says you should minimize changes to the aircraft configuration during the critical stage of the approach below 400ft AGL and should reject a landing that is not stable by this point, meaning the FAA considers anything above 400ft AGL to be safe maneuvering territory. In other words, flaps should not be touched until at least 400ft AGL and since I advocate not to change flaps in a turn (while flaps are manual in the PA28, they are motorized in the C172 and other aircraft and I would not want for 1 of 2 flap motors to burn out unexpectedly leaving me with split flaps while in a turn) at or before 700 ft AGL since that is the point at which you should be turning Xwind.

Secondary to the takeoff question I have a similar question for shortfield landings...

When I learned in a Cessna, I was told to leave flaps in after touch down for the aerodynamic braking since they produce more drag than lift at higher settings (especially true in Cessna's with a 4 notch flap setting going to 40-degrees, notably the notch 3 setting on a PA28).
The book doesn't really say though it does say to use max aerodynamic braking and at flaps 3/40-degrees in a PA-28, they similarly generate more drag than lift for the given configuration.

Ive noticed that instructors at my last 2 flight schools (in separate geographically disperse states so its not a single regional data point that can be ignored) have been suggesting to remove flaps almost immediately after landing so that the planes weight can settle on the wheels and max braking applied.

Much like the retracting of flaps on takeoff, I have 4 issues with this guidance issued:
1) The handbook specifically says to use aerodynamic braking until weight has settled on to the main wheels before applying the brakes. It does not say I should quicken this process by changing flap settings. The Piper PA28 POH does not have a procedure listed for shortfield landings.

2) While its fairly easy to dump all of the flaps in a PA28 rapidly, in other aircraft (again such as a cessna) there is at least a few moments where the flaps are in motion changing the lift/drag profile of the aircraft. Therefore, even if I immediately reach across and go flaps 0, there is a delay between doing that and the flaps no longer affecting airflow over the wing during which the flaps will briefly produce more lift than drag having an opposite affect to the one desired (lightening the load on the wheels initially)

3) I look at the procedure for a short-field takeoff and note that it requires 2 notches of flaps... If I had a sudden runway incursion on a short field landing or judged that my ground roll would be long or had other reason to abort the landing after touchdown and I had retracted the flaps, I am no longer generating that extra lift that a short-field is said to need. I am also already going to be at an airspeed low enough that lift is no longer sufficient to keep the airplane in the air (hence the need for minimum flare), retracting the flaps is only going to serve to increase the airspeed I need to make that aborted landing into a successful go-around which may not be possible with the remaining runway left.

4) The ground roll is still a critical phase of flight in my mind. Sure its less dangerous than when you are low and slow but you still need to maintain the runway and avoid crashing into anything that might enter the runway while slowing down yet still be ready to jam that power in and take off again if the situation requires it. It also becomes even more critical if the reason for the "short field" is a LAHSO clearance... I know which one will win if the decision comes down to fiddling with the flap position vs maintaining awareness of the LAHSO stop point and not entering the runway on which an airplane is about to takeoff or land. I also note that there are many CFIs, DPEs and other pilots who seem to think similarly about ground roll as they generally feel you should wait until you are clear of the runway before doing any part of the after landing checklist and cleaning up the aircraft. It makes sense that there is an exception in there for TNG's or Stop-n-goes given you are immediately taking flight again but it makes less sense for a short-field landing where you presumably dont have enough runway and should not be conducting such operations preferring instead to taxi back.

My arguments for/against flap retraction notwithstanding, the principle of primacy and all of that, I've found it difficult to appease my instructors and remember to retract the flaps immediately on touch down and either my CPL DPE didnt notice (unlikely), didnt feel the need to comment or felt my procedure was correct, I did not remove the flaps immediately on my CPL checkride and still passed but I want to make sure I do it right on my CFI checkride and I dont create a new primacy in a new student that is wrong or even if there is a lack of consensus, at least cant be defended with sound reasoning.

Last edited:
Curious where the recommendation against full flap landing in Grumman AA5 comes from.....not in the POH for ‘77-‘79 AA5B Tigers... and has certainly not been my practice.

Dunno what TLDR stands for

That's a lot of words! Use of flaps is determined by available power being able to utilize them. In my Skywagon I usually use 2 or 3 notches for takeoffs. Never less than 2. The book says one or two. The book doesn't fly where I do. With enough thrust available the takeoff performance with 30* flaps is amazing. A clear advantage over 2 for takeoff distance. For soft field 4 notches has merit. Landings for me is always with 4 notches, even with crossing winds. Having adequate power to go around makes a difference.

On departure I retract flaps very quickly after achieving adequate airspeed and before I dial the prop back. That means flaps are retracted while still over a 2000' runway at about 100-150' of altitude.

Looked up TLDR....Uh, yeah.
....but the Grumman bit was in the first paragraph.....before fatigue set in.

3) I look at the procedure for a short-field takeoff and note that it requires 2 notches of flaps... If I had a sudden runway incursion on a short field landing or judged that my ground roll would be long or had other reason to abort the landing after touchdown and I had retracted the flaps, I am no longer generating that extra lift that a short-field is said to need. I am also already going to be at an airspeed low enough that lift is no longer sufficient to keep the airplane in the air (hence the need for minimum flare), retracting the flaps is only going to serve to increase the airspeed I need to make that aborted landing into a successful go-around which may not be possible with the remaining runway left.

First, as a general comment: One question at a time please. You are going to get some TL,DR comments here.

I do have some comments on the paragraph I quoted above. Generally, you can land in a shorter distance than you can take off. If you have put yourself in a position where you can't stop on the remaining runway, it is not likely that you successfully go around. Suck it up and aim for what is the most survivable thing to hit.

Second, flaps increase lift, they don't increase airspeed. Better if you said "retracting flaps is only going to increase drag, thus decreasing the rate of deceleration). If you attempt a go around (foolishly, IMHO) you need lift NOW not speed. Dumping flaps to cruise setting is counter productive. See the paragraph directly above. Also remember these planes don't accelerate instantly. Again, IMHO.

-Skip

What I learned was: Vx until you're clear of obstacles, then transition to Vy, then retract the flaps. No one has ever put a specific altitude on this, and I don't see why it would matter. "When you're at Vy and climbin' good and feelin' comfy" seems like a good guideline to me, and once you're there, why wait?

"Whether to retract flaps after landing" is one of those questions where the argument will go on and on and you'll probably never get a satisfactory answer. My 172 POH recommends to retract 'em for a short field. But for me the landing roll is one of those "there's a lot going on" moments and I prefer to prioritize keeping the plane under control, and (again) wait until I'm "feelin' comfy" to mess with them, whenever that is. Often that means after exiting the runway. I figure if the field is so short that the extra normal-force matters, it's probably too short for me. However, I've learned this winter that on a snowy/slippery runway, the extra normal force can really help. So it depends. This was a long discussion on my CFI oral, and in the end the DPE was satisfied with my taking this attitude about it. Apparently.

I think your CFI was right that in general the takeoff climb is not a good place to be checking a chart for where the Bravo shelves are. Knowing what the first five minutes' worth of airspace look like should be a part of the pre-takeoff briefing, if the airspace is unfamiliar. But if this was a *training* flight at a new airport, whose purpose was to help you get familiar with the airspace, then maybe he or she should'n't have jumped down your throat about it. Sounds like more a matter of CFI style than genuine criticism of your flying.

Yes, yes TLDR, I get it. Sorry. Its been a topic that has been kicking back and forth and has been rolling around in my head for too long and I've clearly put far too much thought into it... Too late to break it up into separate questions now.

Curious where the recommendation against full flap landing in Grumman AA5 comes from.....not in the POH for ‘77-‘79 AA5B Tigers... and has certainly not been my practice.

It's been 3 years since I've flown the AA5 so the details are a bit fuzzy but I remember when getting checked out on the aircraft the instructor recommended only 2 notches of flaps. Maybe the recommendation "against" full flaps is worded a bit too strongly as it easily may have been worded more as a "you dont need full flaps" or a "I recommend only 2 notches unless... <reason to use full flaps>" than a "dont use full flaps" but the use notch 2 stuck in my head more so than the reason not to use full flaps.

So the AA-5 may be a bad example of an airplane where flaps may differ but I've heard similar things said about earlier generation Cessna's with 4-notch flaps that the last notch is generally not needed and may even be recommended against (for training purposes at least) since most Cessna's only have 3-notch, 30-degree flaps. At least one flight school I flew with had a 40-degree flap Cessna that they limited to 30-degrees (and there are number of Cessna STC's that require this limitation).

First, as a general comment: One question at a time please. You are going to get some TL,DR comments here.

I do have some comments on the paragraph I quoted above. Generally, you can land in a shorter distance than you can take off. If you have put yourself in a position where you can't stop on the remaining runway, it is not likely that you successfully go around. Suck it up and aim for what is the most survivable thing to hit.

Second, flaps increase lift, they don't increase airspeed. Better if you said "retracting flaps is only going to increase drag, thus decreasing the rate of deceleration). If you attempt a go around (foolishly, IMHO) you need lift NOW not speed. Dumping flaps to cruise setting is counter productive. See the paragraph directly above. Also remember these planes don't accelerate instantly. Again, IMHO.

-Skip

Fair point about the go-around due to over-run. I was thinking more along the lines of having just touched down with your speed just below stall when you initiated the go-around due to being long... Admittedly at that point you should have rejected and initiated the go-around sooner or just lived with your decision to land it. One of those decisions that seems to come more naturally "in the moment" than as an abstract discussion about what you are doing at that precise moment of flight.

I assume you meant "retracting flaps is only going to DECREASE drag" as an increase in drag would increase the rate of deceleration but I agree that what you really need in a go-around (for a reason other than runway overrun) is lift which is why I am so troubled by the guidance to dump flaps. As you said, dumping flaps to cruise is counter productive to that.

The comment on speed was an attempt to remove variables from the equation. At the point in the landing roll in which I am discussing, you're speed is the same with or without flaps and while the lift differs, you are not generating sufficient lift to keep the airplane in the air in either case so you need more speed with or without flaps to generate the required lift and return to the air... Since the flaps increase lift you will generate sufficient lift at a lower airspeed than you would without them, hence the comment that "retracting the flaps is only going to serve to [decrease lift and thereby] increase the airspeed [needed to generate sufficient lift and abort]." Airspeed also seemed more relevant in this situation since that is the most commonly available/used indicator (AOA indicators notwithstanding) we have to go by in the aircraft for getting airborne and avoiding a stall on a "normal" rejected landing.

Last edited:
What I learned was: Vx until you're clear of obstacles, then transition to Vy, then retract the flaps. No one has ever put a specific altitude on this, and I don't see why it would matter. "When you're at Vy and climbin' good and feelin' comfy" seems like a good guideline to me, and once you're there, why wait?

"Whether to retract flaps after landing" is one of those questions where the argument will go on and on and you'll probably never get a satisfactory answer. My 172 POH recommends to retract 'em for a short field. But for me the landing roll is one of those "there's a lot going on" moments and I prefer to prioritize keeping the plane under control, and (again) wait until I'm "feelin' comfy" to mess with them, whenever that is. Often that means after exiting the runway. I figure if the field is so short that the extra normal-force matters, it's probably too short for me. However, I've learned this winter that on a snowy/slippery runway, the extra normal force can really help. So it depends. This was a long discussion on my CFI oral, and in the end the DPE was satisfied with my taking this attitude about it. Apparently.

I think your CFI was right that in general the takeoff climb is not a good place to be checking a chart for where the Bravo shelves are. Knowing what the first five minutes' worth of airspace look like should be a part of the pre-takeoff briefing, if the airspace is unfamiliar. But if this was a *training* flight at a new airport, whose purpose was to help you get familiar with the airspace, then maybe he or she should'n't have jumped down your throat about it. Sounds like more a matter of CFI style than genuine criticism of your flying.

This was pretty much perfect. Thanks for an excellent response.

The "problem" with the airspace in the area is that the Bravo shelf that extends down to 800ft AGL is 2.5NM from the departure end of the runway so its well within that window of "first 5 minutes of flight" and there arent really any good visual references for someone "unfamiliar." There are some roads but its a densely populated area so the roads depicted on the chart aren't always easy to pick out, especially to someone unfamiliar, and at 1.5NM they are even closer to the airport than the Bravo. At the time of this flight, it was my 4th flight at the airport, the first one taking off of this runway from the right seat (and 2nd overall) so my visual references were a bit skewed and the first time I was really trying to keep clear of the Bravo visually (the first time taking off from the runway in question, I had a DME in the plane and it was easy to keep clear without looking at charts since its a 14NM shelf but this plane didn't have DME or GPS). Looking at my iPad was not a function of "where are the Bravo's" but rather "where is the plane right now relative to the Bravo and particularly the low shelf 2.5 nm away." My iPad is connected to a home-built Stratux with GPS which gives close enough position readings to keep me out of trouble in that regard.

Have you read the ACS to see what the standards are? Some CFIs don’t really read it. Some CFIs go on outdated information. That is a responsibility of the student to know and understand the ACS requirements.

You mentioned primacy. Isn’t one school of thought to not touch flaps on the runway, lest you accidentally touch the gear lever? I know it doesn’t matter for fixed gear, but primacy in early PPL training may apply to complex endorsement and later.

You mentioned primacy. Isn’t one school of thought to not touch flaps on the runway, lest you accidentally touch the gear lever? I know it doesn’t matter for fixed gear, but primacy in early PPL training may apply to complex endorsement and later.
Yea that’s a tough one. But I always deferred to the POH. I always empasized that we only dump flaps for short field landings. We don’t touch anything until we’re clear of the runway and run the checklist when we do normal landings

I'd say you've had some inexperienced instructors. I've had the flap argument many times and only in the last ten or so years has there been such a widespread urge to retract the flaps on short field landings. 40 degrees of flaps on a Cessna wing will help slow you down much more than no flaps and brakes if you are on an unimproved (slippery) surface, like sand, rocks or ice. I suspect most CFIs have never landed on ice and think there will always be dry pavement to let them nail the brakes and come to a stop in the minimum distance. Sometimes coming to a dead stop is the worst thing to do anyway, since you might get stuck in the unimproved surface...

They probably never mentioned turning at the end of the landing roll to help maintain grip and get off the landing surface either. POH and checkride landings are not like real off-airport landings. You have to learn that stuff afterwards...

In the mean time, stick to the Aircraft manual for numbers and procedures. Aircraft certification requires them to be able to climb at gross weight with full flaps, that's why the C-150 has 40 degrees and the 152, with its hundred plus more pounds of gross weight, is limited to 30 degrees. Your instructors should also have at least demonstrated a full flap go-around...

That's all for now. Any more would be TL;DR and POA members will complain... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

On short field landings, touch down, take out the flaps, then pull back on the yoke all that way. This makes the nose light to allow for more braking and induces a ton of drag aiding in slowing a plane, I do this to stop a lot of times without even touching the brakes. Once the wheels touch, I consider a go around a non-option on a true short fields since most of the time clearing the trees will no longer happen. As for the takeoff, usually the 172 is first notch of flaps and I take it out after transitioning to Vy which by that time I have cleared to obstacle and climbed to 100 to 150 feet AGL. If the instructor caught you glancing at the garmin or Ipad, you looked too long, add 700' to field elevation and just glance at altimeter.

Curious as to how everyone manages flaps in Short/Soft field take offs and short field landings. I realize every plane is different and some planes, such as Cirrus, have defined flap settings even for normal takeoffs while others, such as the Grumman AA-5 I flew actually recommend against full flap landings so for the purpose of this conversation, I am particularly interested in flap management of typical trainers, particularly C172's (and like) and PA28's (and like) aircraft.

I recently got into a discussion with a CFI about what the book says about short/soft field takeoffs, what the FAA in the form of a DPE says and how they differ from what was being taught.

The handbook says to retract flaps at a safe maneuvering altitude.
The DPE says the FAA likes to see the flaps retracted at 700 AGL.
The CFI says the flaps should be retracted as soon as you clear the obstacle and put forward that teaching students to retract them higher is bad form since the FAA (via the book, whether the DPE as a designate representative of the FAA is the FAA or not is another debate) doesn't say to retract them at 700 AGL.

What seems strange to me is this is a CFI that gave me a hard time for glancing at my ipad to confirm the altitudes and locations of the bravo shelfs after turning crosswind at 700 ft AGL, commenting that I should only be looking outside. While I agree that you want to keep your eye's outside, we regularly glance inside to confirm such things as airspeed, altitude, heading, power settings, departure landmarks (which is what I was doing with my iPad) and of course in a case such as this, your vertical speed and flap position as you retract the flaps. I find it particularly incongruent that my 2 second double check of my position relative to the Bravo's was verboten while all the other checks below 1,000 and retracting the flaps was perfectly ok in his book... I mean in the PA28 the big lever for the flaps doesn't really require you to look at it to find it and raise the flaps but there are plenty of aircraft that are less apparent and/or not as easy to take out the right amount of flaps without looking and you still should be cross checking your airspeed and vertical speed and altimeter prior to and as you take out the flaps.*

To me, I find the book and the DPE to be closer to in-sync than the CFI on the basis that the first 2 notches of flap are generating more lift than they are drag so early retraction of flaps reduces lift and can cause you to settle back into your obstacle(s) (lets assume its a forest of 50' trees).

Additionally, looking at the "safe maneuvering altitude" I could make the argument that, independent of the DPE's comments, the recommendation by the FAA to wait to turn cross wind until 700 ft AGL and limiting turns before this point to the minimum necessary shallow turns to comply with any obstacle avoidance or noise abatement procedure is indication that 700 AGL is the point that the FAA considers to be the safe maneuvering altitude. Conversely, while it deals with approaches not departures I could also make the argument that flaps should not be retracted before 400 ft AGL on the basis that stabilized approach criteria says you should minimize changes to the aircraft configuration during the critical stage of the approach below 400ft AGL and should reject a landing that is not stable by this point, meaning the FAA considers anything above 400ft AGL to be safe maneuvering territory. In other words, flaps should not be touched until at least 400ft AGL and since I advocate not to change flaps in a turn (while flaps are manual in the PA28, they are motorized in the C172 and other aircraft and I would not want for 1 of 2 flap motors to burn out unexpectedly leaving me with split flaps while in a turn) at or before 700 ft AGL since that is the point at which you should be turning Xwind.

Secondary to the takeoff question I have a similar question for shortfield landings...

When I learned in a Cessna, I was told to leave flaps in after touch down for the aerodynamic braking since they produce more drag than lift at higher settings (especially true in Cessna's with a 4 notch flap setting going to 40-degrees, notably the notch 3 setting on a PA28).
The book doesn't really say though it does say to use max aerodynamic braking and at flaps 3/40-degrees in a PA-28, they similarly generate more drag than lift for the given configuration.

Ive noticed that instructors at my last 2 flight schools (in separate geographically disperse states so its not a single regional data point that can be ignored) have been suggesting to remove flaps almost immediately after landing so that the planes weight can settle on the wheels and max braking applied.

Much like the retracting of flaps on takeoff, I have 4 issues with this guidance issued:
1) The handbook specifically says to use aerodynamic braking until weight has settled on to the main wheels before applying the brakes. It does not say I should quicken this process by changing flap settings. The Piper PA28 POH does not have a procedure listed for shortfield landings.

2) While its fairly easy to dump all of the flaps in a PA28 rapidly, in other aircraft (again such as a cessna) there is at least a few moments where the flaps are in motion changing the lift/drag profile of the aircraft. Therefore, even if I immediately reach across and go flaps 0, there is a delay between doing that and the flaps no longer affecting airflow over the wing during which the flaps will briefly produce more lift than drag having an opposite affect to the one desired (lightening the load on the wheels initially)

4) The ground roll is still a critical phase of flight in my mind. Sure its less dangerous than when you are low and slow but you still need to maintain the runway and avoid crashing into anything that might enter the runway while slowing down yet still be ready to jam that power in and take off again if the situation requires it. It also becomes even more critical if the reason for the "short field" is a LAHSO clearance... I know which one will win if the decision comes down to fiddling with the flap position vs maintaining awareness of the LAHSO stop point and not entering the runway on which an airplane is about to takeoff or land. I also note that there are many CFIs, DPEs and other pilots who seem to think similarly about ground roll as they generally feel you should wait until you are clear of the runway before doing any part of the after landing checklist and cleaning up the aircraft. It makes sense that there is an exception in there for TNG's or Stop-n-goes given you are immediately taking flight again but it makes less sense for a short-field landing where you presumably dont have enough runway and should not be conducting such operations preferring instead to taxi back.

My arguments for/against flap retraction notwithstanding, the principle of primacy and all of that, I've found it difficult to appease my instructors and remember to retract the flaps immediately on touch down and either my CPL DPE didnt notice (unlikely), didnt feel the need to comment or felt my procedure was correct, I did not remove the flaps immediately on my CPL checkride and still passed but I want to make sure I do it right on my CFI checkride and I dont create a new primacy in a new student that is wrong or even if there is a lack of consensus, at least cant be defended with sound reasoning.

* Note: I dont disagree with the idea that you need to keep your head outside and especially avoid getting stuck "inside the cockpit" below a safe maneuvering altitude (there's that largely undefined term again) but find in general that most pilots do start splitting their attention with routine glances at other things inside the cockpit to confirm the safe attitude of the flight once past the initial phase of flight, usually somewhere around 500ft AGL. Perhaps its not something I want to train a new PPL student to do, especially since they are likely to fixate and get stuck "in the cockpit" but that would be a different argument entirely to it being absolutely verboten even for a semi-skilled and experienced pilot who knows the dangers and how to avoid fixation. In this case, I am flying at a new airport and am still learning the local landmarks used to determine altitudes that wont bust the overlying bravo shelves (not all airports have great landmarks either) but I am aware that the airport does have 4 different bravo shelf altitudes within a 4NM radius, 3 of which are off the departure end of the runway we took off from and one of which comes all the way down to 800 ft AGL at 2miles on runway heading, as such I looked down at 700ft AGL to confirm situational awareness of my present location relative to the 800ft boundary before turning crosswind and continuing my climb to pattern altitude. Since this was a rental checkout, I was PIC for this operation so its my certificate they would come after if I busted the Bravo so while the CFI might not like it, I'm going to do whatever I deem necessary to keep myself legal
You will also find that just about every pilot you meet is full of crap. Read the POH. Do what it recommends.

If the instructor caught you glancing at the garmin or Ipad, you looked too long, add 700' to field elevation and just glance at altimeter.

I dont think he actually caught me looking/glancing at it, he never actually said I was looking at it, just that I was "fiddling with it." I admitted to knowingly glancing at it to confirm where I was relative to the airspace but I am pretty sure he just caught me flipping it over. I intentionally put it face down and turn off the screen below 500' ft so as to avoid the temptation to fly by iPad and though I can do it completely without looking flipping over a 9.7" screen in the cockpit isn't exactly subtle nor is the screen going from dark to bright when I press the home button to login (I only use this iPad for flying so I have no personal info on it and no password set).

As to the advice about the altimeter, I was at 700 ft AGL and had just leveled the wings on X-wind when I looked at it. The instructor wanted me to maintain my climb up to pattern altitude and while I doubt he'd intentionally set me up to violate the Bravo and he is much more knowledgeable about the airspace having flown out of this airport for 10+ years, I was PIC and its my certificate they'd come after. Of course he probably would have said something if I were in danger of busting the bravo but then I'd most certainly have gotten an a**-chewing for almost busting an airspace instead of the much more mild slap to the wrist for using the iPad between 500' and 1,000'. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here exhibiting the cognitive dissonance required to simultaneously hold that you shouldn't look at the iPad below 1,000 ft but would comment that I didn't use "all of the resources available to me" if I were on here commenting about busing the Bravo because of its location and altitude relative to the departure end of the runway and having a GPS connected iPad that I didn't look at/use...

Have you read the ACS to see what the standards are? Some CFIs don’t really read it. Some CFIs go on outdated information. That is a responsibility of the student to know and understand the ACS requirements.

The ACS doesn't specify flap settings I suspect because different airplanes have different guidance for short-field landings.

I'm glad your CFI is scolding you for using an iPad in the airport environment. You're supposed to be relying on AIRSPEED and BARO-ALTITUDE. Why would you be looking at GPS ground speed or GPS Altitude within 1000' of the surface?

I read that as he was glancing at the iPad for chart information, not airspeed and altitude. But you are right that that was an inappropriate time to be looking at the iPad. The airspace should have been briefed before departure.

There is no absolute correct answer for every make and model, but I agree with the examiner. 700 ft agl and at a safe airspeed for the typical aircraft used for training.

Agreed, I always make full flap landings in my tiger. I also practice partial and no flap landings, never know when your battery is going to take a dump on you like mine did the other day..
During my instruction I had a very good CFI that was talented in the art of distraction. One night I even took off with full flaps. Took a few seconds after rotation before the light went off. Grumman's flaps don’t produce much lift if any, they are drag devices.
Follow the POH for your plane

Yep. RTFM. The AA-5 POH recommends full flaps for landing, including short field procedures. Flaps, pathetic as they are in the AA-5X series, improve deck angle and provide significant drag.

Make model and pilot are three major factors. I’m a new tail wheel pilot, no way I’m distracting myself to go grab the Johnson bar to take flaps out... I cannot afford the distraction at the time that directional control demands my 110% every time... and marginal gain is not worth the distraction to me... I also agree, too short to land leaving flaps in (assuming taking them out helps stopping) how are you getting out of there? Leave em in, land and then retract

For demonstrated aircraft performance, one should hew to the POH, not personal recommendations from instructors or other pilots.

Placard on 19, 23, 24 model baby Beeches: RAISE FLAPS TO INCREASE BRAKE EFFECTIVENESS. Therefore, I don't even taxi with the flaps down, just in case.

Makes about a 400-500' landing distance difference with my technique. As soon as I have a free split second after touchdown, I grab the bar and dump the flaps.

2) Reply. Retracting the flaps after touchdown in this example should increase the weight on wheels immediately. I think this because the stall speed of full flaps is less than partial flaps. Therefore the wing will carry less lift with flaps retracting because the airspeed is less than the stall speed for partial flaps - assuming the landing technique is correct. And, I've seen it with my plane - GoPro under the wing looking at the wheels.

3) Balked landing? Can the airplane accelerate in ground effect to increase the airspeed to the next speed for flap retraction speed? With low DA's, an airplane should be able to climb with full flaps.

Teaching the new student not to touch anything until off the runway, stopped, do the after landing checks, sounds like a good starting point. At some point, a student becomes a PIC. Eventually, the pilot's experience should be able to handle raising the flaps to a specific point for any given flight segment.

Fun story...Flew with a guy that replaced brake pads every year with about 25 hours of flying. He also never really used brakes on landing, relying on aerobraking "to save the brakes." But, then he also taxied at 1200 rpm and dragged the brakes ever where he went.

Retracting the flaps is unnecessary in landing. It causes problems with gear retraction.........FURTHER

Takeoff distance is always longer than landing, making heroic efforts to land short stupid.

There's what I teach/do for check rides, (PoH/AFH) and there's what I do in practice. Depending on the airplane they may or may not be the same.

Retracting the flaps is unnecessary in landing. It causes problems with gear retraction.........FURTHER

Takeoff distance is always longer than landing, making heroic efforts to land short stupid.

Depends on the plane. There's a definite change in braking action with full flaps vs 0 flaps in the Comanche. In other planes I've flown, not so much.

Takeoff distance is longer under standard conditions. Icy runways or wet matted grass on a hard soil you can roll/slide quite a ways.

What do you mean causes problems with gear retraction? In my Sierra, the gear switch and flap bar are quite different, and are not connected, thankfully. Unnecessary doesn't mean it can't/shouldn't be practiced. Maybe a case scenario is in order: The proverbial "engine quits at 100 feet and there's runway left to land and the gear haven't been selected up" case (total bs, whatever). Maybe it might be prudent to have the skill to land full flaps, on the runway, select flaps up, max brakes, stop before the end heroics? Like at Sedona or something? I dunno, just trying to justify honing skills I may or may not ever need for the fun of it. Besides, rolling to the end is b-o-r-i-n-g sometimes.

I have landed on many runways where my landing distance was quite a bit longer than my takeoff distance. Efforts to land short were not "heroic." But, rather, "within flight plan expectations and design limits."

There. I have validated my comments. Vilification not required :)

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to confuse my Johnson bar flaps with a gear up toggle switch that I have to reach around my yoke/control wheel to engage. I mean I suppose there's a chance...

I'd say you've had some inexperienced instructors. I've had the flap argument many times and only in the last ten or so years has there been such a widespread urge to retract the flaps on short field landings. 40 degrees of flaps on a Cessna wing will help slow you down much more than no flaps and brakes if you are on an unimproved (slippery) surface, like sand, rocks or ice. I suspect most CFIs have never landed on ice and think there will always be dry pavement to let them nail the brakes and come to a stop in the minimum distance. Sometimes coming to a dead stop is the worst thing to do anyway, since you might get stuck in the unimproved surface...

They probably never mentioned turning at the end of the landing roll to help maintain grip and get off the landing surface either. POH and checkride landings are not like real off-airport landings. You have to learn that stuff afterwards...

In the mean time, stick to the Aircraft manual for numbers and procedures. Aircraft certification requires them to be able to climb at gross weight with full flaps, that's why the C-150 has 40 degrees and the 152, with its hundred plus more pounds of gross weight, is limited to 30 degrees. Your instructors should also have at least demonstrated a full flap go-around...

That's all for now. Any more would be TL;DR and POA members will complain... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well......the C150 can climb with 40 degree of flaps on a cold day at a light load, but sure as **** I would not want to be in my 150 at gross weight on a warm day and have 40 degrees of flaps while :)cough) climbing. If it was even possible (which I don't think it is in those conditions), I would guess the climb rate would be around 10-20 ft/min. It all depends on the airspeed too as those flaps will get you behind the power curve fast and with all the drag, you can't really accelerate out of it with the anemic O-200. Only way out is an immediate retraction to 20 degrees and nose down to get some speed and a better climb rate.

Well......the C150 can climb with 40 degree of flaps on a cold day at a light load, but sure as **** I would not want to be in my 150 at gross weight on a warm day and have 40 degrees of flaps while :)cough) climbing. If it was even possible (which I don't think it is in those conditions), I would guess the climb rate would be around 10-20 ft/min. It all depends on the airspeed too as those flaps will get you behind the power curve fast and with all the drag, you can't really accelerate out of it with the anemic O-200. Only way out is an immediate retraction to 20 degrees and nose down to get some speed and a better climb rate.

Yep. That's how you do it. I've demonstrated the ability to get into an immediate climb by simply lowering the nose to every one of my students. It seems counter intuitive to lower the nose to climb, but it is a real world demo of recovery from the backside of the power curve.

Like I said, the full flap climb is only a certification thing...

I don't like any of the answers, though I like the book's answer best. The time to remove the flaps is when you have sufficient airspeed that the AOA permits you to maintain a sufficient margin over stall. That doesn't happen at any particular altitude.

A lot of the strategies depend on how fast your flaps move.

I've got a buddy in an old manual flap 172 that starts his short/soft takeoff role with the flaps retracted, cuts in 10 degrees at rotation speed, and then once off the surface and at a suitable pitch takes them out for maximum climb performance.

I have landed on many runways where my landing distance was quite a bit longer than my takeoff distance.

There. I have validated my comments. Vilification not required :)

There was no "validating." Publish the POH distances for such.........or else vilification will continue.

There was no "validating." Publish the POH distances for such.........or else vilification will continue.

Departing weight weight does not always equal arriving weight. When I head to the cabin, I take food and stuff with me, but it doesn't depart. (yes, the converse may be true, but not for me) So the POH distances don't really mean much in such cases. Also, like I said, ice and wet grass.

For demonstrated aircraft performance, one should hew to the POH, not personal recommendations from instructors or other pilots.
What if you’re operating from a soft field? I’ve never seen demonstrated performance in the POH/AFM for that.

I’d also add that the overwhelming majority of pilots have never had to do a short or soft field takeoff in real life, so as you said, stick to the published procedures and learn the rest if and when you need it.

Back