65.95 2 (b)

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
(b) When he exercises the privileges of an inspection authorization the holder shall keep it available for inspection by the aircraft owner, the mechanic submitting the aircraft, repair, or alteration for approval (if any), and shall present it upon the request of the Administrator or an authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board, or of any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.

When you send the IA ticket for renewal, can you act as an IA during that period?

(b) When he exercises the privileges of an inspection authorization the holder shall keep it available for inspection by the aircraft owner, the mechanic submitting the aircraft, repair, or alteration for approval (if any), and shall present it upon the request of the Administrator or an authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board, or of any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.

When you send the IA ticket for renewal, can you act as an IA during that period?

Yes. If not, you wouldn't want your annual due in March.

If I was so inclined, I'd try to dig up the reference for it. I'm certain that I've seen it in some sort of written form be it an order, notice, memo, etc. What I can tell you is that the CLT FSDO tells our IAs that they may do so. You can always make an appointment with your PMI and renew in person if you don't want to risk it.

Where does it say you have to send the certificate in? 65.93 does not indicate that

If I was so inclined, I'd try to dig up the reference for it. I'm certain that I've seen it in some sort of written form be it an order, notice, memo, etc. What I can tell you is that the CLT FSDO tells our IAs that they may do so. You can always make an appointment with your PMI and renew in person if you don't want to risk it.
risk what?

Where does it say you have to send the certificate in? 65.93 does not indicate that
other than re-newing in person how would you get it re-newed?

Someone asking to see it while it's in the stack at the FSDO.
that doesn't matter in as far as what the FAR says.
"" When he exercises the privileges of an inspection authorization the holder shall keep it available for inspection by the aircraft owner,''

I still repeat the question. Where does it say you have to bring the certificate in?

An IA certificate has to be signed by an ASI at each renewal. The majority of IA's either go to the FSDO to renew the certificate or attend one of the several IA renewal seminars put on by the FAA where they renew on the spot.

So you get a NEW certificate signed, or do you end up with 40 years of signatures on the same certificate?

(I'm not an IA, I've just decided to play Tom's game of him never answering a question that's posed to him because I'm bored)

Tom must have a tired old paper IA cert with dozens of dead PMI's signatures....:confused:

Let me slow it down for you.

Let's say that you mail in your renewal package with card as many IAs do.

Let's say that a pilot wants you to do his annual before you get it back.

Let's say you interpret that reg literally, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The risk is:
a) you lose the business because you won't do the annual.
b) you do the annual and therefore exercise the privileges of the authorization without it being available for inspection.

I thought it was pretty clear.

So you get a NEW certificate signed, or do you end up with 40 years of signatures on the same certificate?

(I'm not an IA, I've just decided to play Tom's game of him never answering a question that's posed to him because I'm bored)

It's a yellow paper card and has room for (IIRC) 5 signatures, which is 10 years. When that card is full, they issue another card.

This is a non existent problem as per the OP.

You get a new card only if your old one has all of the signature lines filled in or is tattered, worn, etc.

An IA certificate has to be signed by an ASI at each renewal. The majority of IA's either go to the FSDO to renew the certificate or attend one of the several IA renewal seminars put on by the FAA where they renew on the spot.

Many also mail the renewal package to the FSDO or drop it in a box at the seminar and then it gets mailed back later.

The FAR doesn't, the renewal process does.
It's a yellow paper card and has room for (IIRC) 5 signatures, which is 10 years. When that card is full, they issue another card.

This is a non existent problem as per the OP.
Clarification of the rules mean anything to you?

This year the SEA FSDO gave the seminar at the museum of Flight in the month of Feb. they did not re-new there.
They also gave your second option at the Kenmore facility.

I've attended several 2 day seminars always got the certificate for attendance and use it to re-new. this year - no

Last edited:
Most of Tom's threads go that way.
Very simple question, can you act as an IA with out being able to show the certificate?

It's an Yes or No, answer ?

Very simple question, can you act as an IA with out being able to show the certificate?

It's an Yes or No, answer ?

No. *I* can't.

You know how people say there are no stupid questions...they may want to reanalyze that posit.

This year the SEA FSDO gave the seminar at the museum of Flight in the month of Feb. they did not re-new there.

Why would the SEA FSDO have renewed there as it was in Feb? The regulation is clear.

65.93(a) To be eligible for renewal of an inspection authorization for a 2-year period an applicant must present evidence during the month of March of each odd-numbered year, at the responsible Flight Standards office, that the applicant still meets the requirements of §65.91(c) (1) through (4).

There is no requirement to send in the 8310-5 for renewal, in fact you can keep it in your possession and just send them the completed 8610-1 and any associated evidence to support renewal and be let them do their thing. You will get a new 8310-5 in the mail.

Bottom line: If an IA thinks this is a problem, they can schedule an appointment with the FSDO and renew in person. This typically takes less than 30 minutes at the FSDO.

There is no requirement to send in the 8310-5 for renewal, in fact you can keep it in your possession and just send them the completed 8610-1 and any associated evidence to support renewal and be let them do their thing. You will get a new 8310-5 in the mail.
Did that one year, and got a call, and asked "how do you expect us to sign the thing"

Bottom line: If an IA thinks this is a problem, they can schedule an appointment with the FSDO and renew in person. This typically takes less than 30 minutes at the FSDO.
Maybe back in the day when you could walk in, but now one must have an appointment audit might be after the rush in March
I wouldn't count on that method.

Did that one year, and got a call, and asked "how do you expect us to sign the thing"

Lol, then your FSDO stinks and mine rocks because I did it this year and they said "no problem don't need it" (I couldn't find the one I had)

take the month off Tom....you're retired, right? o_O

....I just back date everything. :lol:

OBTW, the activity sheets are no longer required, there is a place in the 8610-7 to document the number of annuals or 337 forms.

Attachments

• 8610-1_07-10_updated_09-30-2017.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
what if all those 337's were submitted either during the shutdown or in the month of March? o_O

Back