Tales From the Airport. Ep 1

All I need is a C-150 and I am that guy! I would get a Grummans too, but I heard jet fuel isn't sold in Florida.

All I need is a C-150 and I am that guy! I would get a Grummans too, but I heard jet fuel isn't sold in Florida.
John without an H, except there is an H, just in the wrong place. You'd get along with brYan just fine.

Something ain't right there. I have had similar experiences... Not this extreme but with "wannabe pilots" way over there heads. My question though is why is it stupid to have a fire extinguisher in your plane? Just curious.

Something ain't right there. I have had similar experiences... Not this extreme but with "wannabe pilots" way over there heads. My question though is why is it stupid to have a fire extinguisher in your plane? Just curious.
Well, just like having a parachute, it shows that you can't handle a minor emergency.

Well, just like having a parachute, it shows that you can't handle a minor emergency.
Yeah, still not getting it. Redundancy in safety equipment means you can't handle a small emergency. I am not sure if you are being sarcastic. Just like in the story, why not have an extinguisher on hand if you are cranking and you have a fire? Or any other scenario where a fire pops up that can be attacked with a extinguisher.

The lease for my hangar requires me to keep a fire extinguisher in the hangar. Not a bad idea when you hear stories like this one.

Well Gary is a leading Grumman guru and he gave me crap when I asked where I could mount one.
He went off on a tangent about how my job is to get the plane down and not fight fires, the FE can become a projectile, and kind of like people that bash the chute, he went on about how fly the plane and real pilots, all that blah blah blah. ****ed me off. There is a Grumman crash where everyone survived but the canopy was stuck and they were all killed by the fire.

I am sure he is a leading go to genius when it comes to Grummans but that rubbed me the wrong way.

I am pro fire extinguisher. I need to get one though. I still haven't put on e in the plane.

well Gary would love the fact that not only do I have a fire extinguisher but it's also not mounted. yet.

I will keep my extinguisher thank you very much

If nothing else I can use it to break out the window. I’ll keep the extinguisher

if I lose I'm going to blame it on the extremely large extremely heavy fire extinguisher I have.
If I lose I will blame a different extremely large, heavy cylinder in the cabin.

Yeah, still not getting it. Redundancy in safety equipment means you can't handle a small emergency. I am not sure if you are being sarcastic. Just like in the story, why not have an extinguisher on hand if you are cranking and you have a fire? Or any other scenario where a fire pops up that can be attacked with a extinguisher.
Obviously sarcastic [so I thought!] I've never flown in a plane without an extinguisher (though I usually do not have a parachute on my back, or the plane's back. I'm not opposed at all to those!)

Well Gary is a leading Grumman guru and he gave me crap when I asked where I could mount one.
He went off on a tangent about how my job is to get the plane down and not fight fires, the FE can become a projectile, and kind of like people that bash the chute, he went on about how fly the plane and real pilots, all that blah blah blah. ****ed me off. There is a Grumman crash where everyone survived but the canopy was stuck and they were all killed by the fire.

I am sure he is a leading go to genius when it comes to Grummans but that rubbed me the wrong way.

I am pro fire extinguisher. I need to get one though. I still haven't put on e in the plane.

Well my new to me Grumman has a fire extinguisher and wish my old one would of.

My old pilot with Alzheimer's is as follows:

KSAC.

ATIS says 20 in use. Tri-pacer calls ground. "Tri pacer, taxi to 20 via bla bla bla."

Turbo Arrow calls ground. "Turbo Arrow, taxi to 20 via bla bly bla. Bla bla."

Tri-pacer calls tower. "Tri-pacer, uh, do you know what runway you are on?"

Tri-pacer: "I'm on 20."

Tower: "Noooooooo, you are on 34."

Tri-pacer. "No, I'm on 20."

Tower: "You know what, Tri-pacer, you are cleared for takeoff on 34."

Turbo Arrow: "Ready to go on 20."

Tower: Turbo Arrow, you are cleared for takeoff. Say direction of flight."

Turbo Arrow: "What direction is the Tri-pacer going?"

Tower: "North west."

Turbo Arrow: "South east."

True story.

Bryan, you did an awful lot of long and hard thinking. You might need a break - go fly.

Bryan, you did an awful lot of long and hard thinking. You might need a break - go fly.

I did. I flew to Austin solo to grab lunch.
That's a feeling of freedom right there.

If this story is even remotely true, the guy was probably a former military guy who got his A&P by virtue of working on a single type of aircraft in the military, crammed for his writtens, and then found an easy DPE, and has never worked or even been around GA at all. These guys are out there though I have never seen or heard of one this bad.

My old pilot with Alzheimer's is as follows:

We've had one too. Fortunately got to the airport but couldn't remember where his plane was. Was near the commercial terminal asking where his plane was.

I did. I flew to Austin solo to grab lunch.
That's a feeling of freedom right there.

You flew right over my house... I could have said howdy over the radio...

Did you go to AUS, EDC, RYW, 3R9 or GTU? I know some great lunch places in Llano and Burnet!

You flew right over my house... I could have said howdy over the radio...

Did you go to AUS, EDC, RYW, 3R9 or GTU? I know some great lunch places in Llano and Burnet!

GTU. I will give you a shout next time.
I wanted to grab lunch at El Monumento but I got there and it didn't open until 3. Tried another and it was closed.
Ended up at some Mexican dive called Sierra. It was not great but still flying myself to lunch is better than leftovers at the office any day.

They are really more like hangers than hangars. No doors or floors. Carports for planes for the most part.
I was in one of those with the Carlson at Los Lunas Mid-Valley. But I got a good one with a concrete floor. Paid $70/month.

20140405-kats.jpg

This is my hangar neighbor. Owner died.
Sad plane.

I suspect that plane hasn't flown in 20+ years. The prop blades look like ones that were obsoleted before I bought my plane. That also means the prop hub has another AD that can't have been complied with. Very low serial number and looks like the original 185 engine. Does have an underseat tank and the palo alto tail mod. However given the other issues, I can almost guarantee it doesn't have a legal fuel valve in it either. There are a couple of guys around who "rescue" Navions and turn them into affordable basic planes. The thing is going to need a fuel valve and a replacement prop (new blades at least and the magnaflux and eddy current on the hub).

Back