Tales From the Airport. Ep 1

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Everything you are about to read is 100% true and contains no exaggerations or embellishment in any shape form or fashion.

There I was at my hangar in North Dallas having just done a bit of panel work on my plane when I look over and see a tall slender man about the age of 50 working on a C-150 in the middle of the Taxi way.

"Can I help you with anything?" I bellowed.
"Nope just tinkering do you need me to move my plane so you can get out?" He asked.

"Take your time I have alot to do over here"

After a couple minutes I decided not to be a rude dude so I went over to him and this is when it got wierd the first time.

I says I'm Bryan and he says He's.. Let's just call him Bob (the only thing that will not be accurate)
Bob says he just bought this 150 and has .8 hours on it. I stated That's the most important .8 hours though, in your own plane. He says Well I mean I only have .8 total. I bought this plane to learn to fly. I notice he is wearing an American Eagle jacket (The airline not the teenie bopper shopping brand). He is under the cowl and says he is going to change the plugs but forgot the socket so I am not sure what he is doing. He tells me he has his A&P and wants to learn to fly.

Stay with me.

He looks over at my plane and says what type of plane is that a 172?

There is not a single high wing plane in our hangar row. I almost said "No, its a 182" but I just explained it is a Grumman and then I thought long and hard about how he said he was an A&P.

I asked which hangar was his and he said none, he lives in Florida and just wants to leave it in one of these until his CFI signs him off on his solo XC so he can fly it home to Florida.

I am going to say that again. He wants his CFI to send him from Dallas to Florida in a C-150 for his long XC so he can relocate his plane there and finish the training in Florida where he lives.
(I mentioned he lives in Florida right?)

He asks "So you ever take that Grumman on any long cross countries like that?

I said Yep, I flew it to Oshkosh last year.

He says "Oh in Florida?"

I explained, no the one in Wisconsin and then I thought long and hard about how he told me he lived in Florida.

I go back to my plane and start working again.
He (still in the taxi way) climbs into his plane and tries to start the engine about 20 times.

I look over (I swear to God I am not making this up) and his plane is on fire and he is still cranking away at it trying to get it started.

There is smoke everywhere, and I see fire in the cowl. Then the plane belches some fluid all over the ground and front tire which is now on fire.

I jump out of my plane screaming "STOP STOP!!!!!" I look around for a fire extinguisher and remember I don't have one because Gary from the Grumman Assn. says anyone w/ a fire extinguisher in their plane is a moron.

I run to my car and grab a bottle of water and sprint to his plane yelling (STOP! FIRE!)
I douse the front wheel in water and he stops cranking it. Smoke is billowing out of the cowl.

He hops out and doesn't seem phased at all. "Doesn't smell like wiring to you does it?"
"NO!! Wires aren't liquid!" I thought to myself.

He says well I guess I will call it a day then My mechanic is on this field.
And then again I thought long and hard about how he said he was an A&P.

I go back to my plane and just watch him now. He proceeds to back his plane in to 4 different hangars trying to find out which one is the perfect fit. I hear him cursing at hangar 3 and pull his plane back out to the taxi way.

He tries to push it into a 4th hangar and the wheel sinks in the mud.
Bob grabs the right wing tip and pushes it but the only thing that happens is the tail hits the ground. I stated "Probably you should push on the strut or pull on the propeller or tow bar"

He replies "The wing takes all that lift, it should be fine to push it but the tail just hits the ground"

And then again I thought long and hard about how he said he was an A&P.

I said do you need help? He says yes and I get out of my plane for a 3rd or 4th time I forget.
I push the strut forward and get him out of the mud.

He drags his plane around the corner to another row of hangers and I can hear and watch the tail as he test fits the plane in multiple hangars.

I like the guy. He seemed very nice and I am pulling for him but watching that unfold was painful.

So that happened. Exactly like that. I feel bad for the guy but I want to say maybe don't be doing this stuff w/o your CFI around. I dunno what to think.

Wow, Dallas to Florida as a student pilot! I guess there is no danger if his plane burns to the ground before the trip.

Last edited:
Something doesn’t seem right at all about this guy.

Could be the next Darwin Award candidate or NTSB statistic. Which is worse?

Was he wearing a hospital ID band????
I had a new pt that moved from FL to live with his son. Son said he mildly confused at nights since he moved up but ok. He still drove. He told his kid he was heading out to go fishing. He drove from the philly area to Pittsburgh Pa looking for a pond that he grew up around. Got lost for two days, no cell phone. Kept pulling over asking for directions. Finally someone looked at something in car and gave him directions To get back home to bucks county. Finally made it home. Son brings him in for an appointment and turns out he was quite demented. He was pretty good until you started digging into the details. This guy old enough to have some dementia???

The "airplane on fire" part might slow him down a bit.

I dunno. He said multiple times that he was in A&P working on turbine aircraft but knows zilch about these little airplanes. I agree with him but I would kind of think if you were a mechanic on turbines you would have knowledge of some kind about airplanes.

and then his whole intent was to change the spark plugs on this plane. I don't know why. but then he said he forgot the socket to take a plugs off but spent a good 20 minutes under the cowl doing I don't know what.

I don't know what it was the cut fire I'm thinking fuel. I asked him if he primed it and he said oh yes I primed it multiple times because it wasn't starting. I'm wondering if maybe while he was cranking it he hit that fuel strainer and dumped fuel on the ground. I can't imagine how else a bunch of liquid would spew out onto the front tire and catch fire

The bottom of the cowl was just coated in thick black residue from the fire.

It was the FAA trying to frame you.

"Brianwhateverthehellhislastnameis was filmed working on the airplane just days before the turboencabulator failed and led to a horrific taxi incident when the owner had "the big one" trying to push start his C-150, which mysteriously self destructed only moments after its owner."

...I go back to my plane and just watch him now. He proceeds to back his plane in to 4 different hangars trying to find out which one is the perfect fit. I hear him cursing at hangar 3 and pull his plane back out to the taxi way.

He tries to push it into a 4th hangar and the wheel sinks in the mud...

...He drags his plane around the corner to another row of hangers and I can hear and watch the tail as he test fits the plane in multiple hangars.

You got rows of empty hangars at your North Dallas airport? o_O

Yup. Cheap too.
Dirt floor's though. Open t hangars

I can remember back in the good old days when my airport had similar hangars. Each of us renters would lay 3 parallel rows of concrete patio blocks in the dirt so we could roll our airplanes in and out when it rained or snowed. Those things have all been torn down and replaced with insulated, heated steel hangars with lights and running water. They ain't cheap any more...

You got rows of empty hangars at your North Dallas airport? o_O

They are really more like hangers than hangars. No doors or floors.

Carports for planes for the most part.

You sure he didn’t say he worked ‘for’ A&P?

A&Pstore.png

The FAA was laying in wait to see if you would instruct this poor gentleman.

I’ll leave the “throwing water on a gas fire” for someone else.

There are all kinda crazies out there. You invited him to rough river, right?

"Brianwhateverthehellhislastnameis was filmed working on the airplane just days before the turboencabulator failed and led to a horrific taxi incident when the owner had "the big one" trying to push start his C-150, which mysteriously self destructed only moments after its owner."

I’d watch that movie. :popcorn:

I’ve got a feeling that guy won’t be around too long. Once he gets that little plane started, he’s likely going to try for Florida. Probably won’t make it to the runway before he learns the yoke doesn’t work like a steering wheel and runs into something...

He either knows in the back of his mind he's not going to fly again, but is going through the motions to keep busy, or he is totally unaware. Now that the plane has caught fire, I'm guessing it's not going to fly. Especially because Bryan threw water on a fuel/electrical fire.

11013AL_WEB_600.png

I'm stuck on the part where he is test-fitting the plane into several hangars... Is it a free for all there? You just pick a hangar and its yours? Kinda like picking a bunk in the barracks?

The fire was probably just from excessively over-priming the upside down carb, correct? Probably no damage to the plane, other than the soot from the smoke?

To clarify, I threw water on the fire on the ground not in the cowl.

I'm stuck on the part where he is test-fitting the plane into several hangars... Is it a free for all there? You just pick a hangar and its yours? Kinda like picking a bunk in the barracks?

We have about 10 empty hangars. Transients think they can come here and put their planes in them.
****es the owner off and sometimes the tenants that were just out flying.

Happens a lot. We are one of those airports where there are rows of open T hangars filed with planes that "I swear I am going to get flying again one day"
The owwers know one day they are going to get them flying again. They ge t old and die, and after a year or so, nobody claims them and the land lord takes ownership of them.

I will make a video if them sometime. It is sad to see peoples dreams rotting into the ground. I suspect a lot of older folks don't want to let go. I probably will have a hard time with it.

This is my hangar neighbor. Owner died.
Sad plane.

To clarify, I threw water on the fire on the ground not in the cowl.
Still probably did as much harm as good. Spreads the flames and does very little to put out the fire. Dirt would be much better.

I'm just picking on you Bryan because you went on a cruise and I'm stuck here posting on POA.

What I’m wondering is how cud a 150 not fit right in multiple different planeports? Lol

Is it a 150 you have seen on your field how the foxtrot did he get it there?

Please fill us in if u see or hear of more follow up...

Back