iPad Mini

aiu0462

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
I'm thinking of an iPad mini to be mounted on the right side yoke on my Comanche.
I’m looking for ideas. I have a Garmin 530 there now for my wife, but the touch screen has stopped working. Also need ideas for type of yoke mount.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

I use an IPad mini 4 with Garmin Pilot. I looked at all the mounts, currently using a Velcro strap to the leg, a bit of angle to it. For now it works for me.

X-grip mount by RAM with the 1” balls worked for my mini. Just upgraded to the 11” pro so had to get a different to add a larger x-grip universal.

There is a dedicated RAM IPAD mini cradle and in my Piper, I used a standard RAM Ball and short arm. The mini becomes an 8 inch MFD and leave it on the spit map screen with weather on the upper screen and the traffic display on the lower. The larger IPADs are too big for most panels. The mini is easily in the view of the pilot in the left seat and directly in front of the right seat. Works well and the audio out is jacked into the intercom and gives audio terrain and traffic alerts over the headsets as well as the visual alerts. I keep a regular IPAD as a kneeboard as well so my EFB's are duplicated. I had dual gyro failure in a clients aircraft one in IMC and just hit the full screen Synthetic vision and used it to climb out on top and proceed to the alternate.

Thanks for all the help fellas.
I should be good as long as I don’t snap roll the Comanche? Got it!
Steve

How did you manage to mount a Garmin 530 on the right side yoke?

I know the Comanche may be a more versatile airplane than my Socata TB20, but still...

Ram EZ-Rollr cradle.
The universal X grip sucks when you do snap rolls.
gpscity.com has the best ram selection

Exactly this! I have my iPad Mini in a Ram EZ-Rollr, mounted to my yoke via a selection of RAM parts I put together from gpscity.com. :D

How did you manage to mount a Garmin 530 on the right side yoke?

I know the Comanche may be a more versatile airplane than my Socata TB20, but still...
I'm guessing the OP meant Garmin Aera 550?

Back