Need a new iPad

My iPad 2 is past it, as far as upgrades - looking for advice on replacing it, and I'm ForeFlight committed. . .

Will tether, so don't need cellular, and will be using a Dual bluetooth GPS. A cursory look at the current, assinine naming conventions, it appears the iPad Air 2 is the lgical replacement. Is it?

No. The iPad Air 2 was already discontinued over a year ago.

The options these days are:

* iPad Pro 12.9": Really nice, really expensive, really huge.
* iPad Pro 10.5": Really nice, $200 less expensive, and less huge. If you have the money for it (ranging fro $799 for the 64GB WiFi-only model up to $1699 for a 1TB WiFi+cellular model with GPS) and like the larger sized iPads like the one you have, this is probably the way to go. Were I to be buying one, I'd grab the 256GB cellular model for $1099.
* iPad 9.7": The large-and-cheapish model. 128GB cellular model is $559. Only about 1/3 of an inch smaller physically than the Pro 10.5, but screen is not edge-to-edge so the screen is more noticeably smaller. Pretty comparable to your iPad 2, though. Other differences compared to the Pro 10.5: CPU is two generations older, camera and display aren't quite as good, still uses a Lightning connector instead of USB-C, no antireflective coating on the display, Touch ID instead of Face ID.
* iPad Mini 4: I would only buy this right now if I was dead-set on a smaller one and needed one NOW. $529 for 128GB cellular model, only $30 less than the iPad 9.7" above. However, in comparison to the 9.7, it has the following differences: CPU is another two generations older (essentially, this is the 2014 mainline iPad hardware, pretty much obsolete already), and no Apple Pencil support at all. I really like the physical size in my Mooney cockpit, but again, this thing is pretty much obsolete already. If you want this size, wait 6 months to see if they update it.

FF is my primary IFR navigator, with a G-530 for backup and for approaches.

Agh... *cringe* ForeFlight may be used for navigating your brain, but please be sure you're using the 530 to navigate the airplane.

I replaced my iPad 2 with whatever I’m typing on now but for the life of me, I can’t tell you what it is other than a generation 6 iPad. WTF.

Go to Settings -> General -> About -> Model, where you'll see a string ending in LL/A. Google that, and you should get plenty of hits with the name of your device.

I'm in the exact same boat...iPad 2 and finding out it is getting glitchy because not supported anymore (no reason except forcing new purchase) and apps don't work.

There is a reason besides "forcing new purchase". They do more. Both the OS and the apps that run on it continue to add new features all the time, which takes more processing power. Eventually, if you continue to upgrade the software but not the hardware, the software will have trouble running in the confined spaces of the old hardware. It's been that way in the computer industry forever. I, for one, am glad I can buy such a whizbang machine - Several of them, really, including one that's on my wrist - because I remember my dad feeding stacks of punchcards into a behemoth of a machine when I was little, maybe 40 years ago. 20 years ago, we had progressed to where I had a nice small laptop, but when I needed service once I was so impressed by the (giant) one-GIGABYTE hard drive the tech brought out that I took a screen shot of the mounted drive. Now, my phone has 256 GB!

When you look at it in smaller increments, like last year's iPhone to this year's iPhone, it's easy to forget how much progress gets made.

What I was wondering, lots of the new iPads still don't have 4g. Not a big deal if you only use it tethered, but what I don't know is if you buy a sim for the iPad, is it the same price and conditions as if it were a telephone or is there some kind of deal since it isn't actually a phone?

or is it the same exact kind of subscription?

Some carriers will let you add it to a shared plan, but you can also get them on their own plan. I pay $30/month for unlimited data on mine with AT&T.

Eheghmmm..... disregard my screen-estate comment. $100k in glass is enough.

Apparently that post must have been deleted or something?!? I wanna see!

I just wish the Mini and Pencil would work together. Scratchpads are pretty useless without palm rejection, and that’s on the ground. In turbulence, they’re just a silly waste of UI buttons.

Meh - You don't need a fancy Apple Pencil to write on your screen. There are all kinds of pens that have a capacitive tip and a pen tip so you can write on either iPad or paper. In fact, AOPA and others usually give them away free at fly-ins. I have one from Appareo too.

I agree, but selfishly I hope they do it like the new 12.9" which retains the same screen size, but the device itself is smaller. The mini is large enough if you can mount it close to you.
I was unclear about the (admittedly arcane) distinction:
-The new 11" iPad Pro, as you say, is the same size as the older 10.5" iPad Pro, but with a larger screen.
-The new 12.9" iPad Pro has shrunk the size of the iPad, while keeping the same size screen as the previous 12.9" iPad Pro.

I hope Apple makes a new Mini with the same size screen as the current Mini, but with a smaller form factor (shrink the iPad itself, like they did on the new 12.9") as opposed to keeping the form factor and increasing the screen size (like they did on the new 11".) I barely have enough room in the plane for the current Mini, I'd like it to be a little bit smaller, but with the same size screen.

They already do. It's called the iPhone XS Max. Okay, so the screen is 1.4" smaller, but that's not much.

Personally, I'm hoping for the same size device with more screen.

As for a new Mini, I highly doubt we will ever see one. The current is about 3 years old, and as others have said the large phones have gotten very close in screen size. I have also heard that Apple is likely to kill it completely.

I thought that too, but there were a lot more rumors about a new one this fall, and it sounds like they may introduce a new one in the spring instead of just killing it off. If you don't see one by the end of April, I'd expect it to be killed... But Apple has revived some long-neglected products recently (MacBook Air, Mac Mini, they've announced a new Mac Pro is forthcoming, etc) so a new iPad Mini is far from out of the question.

DUDE! I didn't know the new Apple pencil is magnetic. That would be awesome for the cockpit! I always thought it would be really nice to have a magnetic pen like my Surface Pro 2 has.

Only problem with all this magnetic crap - and I include every iPad except the very first one in that - is that it does mess with your compass in the airplane. (Oh yeah, that thing.)

Last edited:
They already do. It's called the iPhone XS Max. Okay, so the screen is 1.4" smaller, but that's not much.

I'm sure you were being facetious, but I considered getting a iPhone XS Max for just this purpose, but I can't read approach plates on it. (Yes, the G3X Touch has approach plates, but the EFIS can be used for better things.)

iPhone XS Max: 102.9 sq. cm (I don't know if they subtract the notch)
iPad mini 4: 193.3 sq. cm

iPad mini is 90.4 sq. cm or 87.8% larger than iPhone XS Max.

Really I'd be happy if Apple updates the mini in any way, just so they don't abandoned it. I bought the Mini 4 just a few months ago, a brand new 3 yr old iPad mini for $600, but it was seriously helpful passing the Instrument Check Ride. I can't mount the iPad Pro in my plane so now I have two, one for flight planning (and back up,) one for in-flight.

I have a couple of minis. My iPad Pro does everything better. That's a fact.

I replaced my iPad Air 2 with a 9.7" iPad pro I got used from Swappa. The increased processor speed was immediately apparent the first time I fired Foreflight up.

No. The iPad Air 2 was already discontinued over a year ago.

The options these days are:

* iPad Pro 10.5": Really nice, $200 less expensive, and less huge. If you have the money for it (ranging fro $799 for the 64GB WiFi-only model up to $1699 for a 1TB WiFi+cellular model with GPS) and like the larger sized iPads like the one you have, this is probably the way to go. Were I to be buying one, I'd grab the 256GB cellular model for $1099.
* iPad 9.7": The large-and-cheapish model. 128GB cellular model is $559. Only about 1/3 of an inch smaller physically than the Pro 10.5, but screen is not edge-to-edge so the screen is more noticeably smaller. Pretty comparable to your iPad 2, though. Other differences compared to the Pro 10.5: CPU is two generations older, camera and display aren't quite as good, still uses a Lightning connector instead of USB-C, no antireflective coating on the display, Touch ID instead of Face ID.
* iPad Mini 4: I would only buy this right now if I was dead-set on a smaller one and needed one NOW. $529 for 128GB cellular model, only $30 less than the iPad 9.7" above. However, in comparison to the 9.7, it has the following differences: CPU is another two generations older (essentially, this is the 2014 mainline iPad hardware, pretty much obsolete already), and no Apple Pencil support at all. I really like the physical size in my Mooney cockpit, but again, this thing is pretty much obsolete already. If you want this size, wait 6 months to see if they update it.

Agh... *cringe* ForeFlight may be used for navigating your brain, but please be sure you're using the 530 to navigate the airplane.

Go to Settings -> General -> About -> Model, where you'll see a string ending in LL/A. Google that, and you should get plenty of hits with the name of your device.

There is a reason besides "forcing new purchase". They do more. Both the OS and the apps that run on it continue to add new features all the time, which takes more processing power. Eventually, if you continue to upgrade the software but not the hardware, the software will have trouble running in the confined spaces of the old hardware. It's been that way in the computer industry forever. I, for one, am glad I can buy such a whizbang machine - Several of them, really, including one that's on my wrist - because I remember my dad feeding stacks of punchcards into a behemoth of a machine when I was little, maybe 40 years ago. 20 years ago, we had progressed to where I had a nice small laptop, but when I needed service once I was so impressed by the (giant) one-GIGABYTE hard drive the tech brought out that I took a screen shot of the mounted drive. Now, my phone has 256 GB!

When you look at it in smaller increments, like last year's iPhone to this year's iPhone, it's easy to forget how much progress gets made.

Some carriers will let you add it to a shared plan, but you can also get them on their own plan. I pay $30/month for unlimited data on mine with AT&T.

Apparently that post must have been deleted or something?!? I wanna see!

Meh - You don't need a fancy Apple Pencil to write on your screen. There are all kinds of pens that have a capacitive tip and a pen tip so you can write on either iPad or paper. In fact, AOPA and others usually give them away free at fly-ins. I have one from Appareo too.

I thought that too, but there were a lot more rumors about a new one this fall, and it sounds like they may introduce a new one in the spring instead of just killing it off. If you don't see one by the end of April, I'd expect it to be killed... But Apple has revived some long-neglected products recently (MacBook Air, Mac Mini, they've announced a new Mac Pro is forthcoming, etc) so a new iPad Mini is far from out of the question.

Only problem with all this magnetic crap - and I include every iPad except the very first one in that - is that it does mess with your compass in the airplane. (Oh yeah, that thing.)

I would assume that wouldn’t be an issue at all unless you were waving the thing directly in front of the panel though. I mean I could take my Surface Pro pencil and do some testing on the ground I suppose. They are hardly magnetic. Just can’t imagine it causing any issues.

I just upgraded from the 2017 10.5" IPad Pro to the 2018 11" IPad Pro. The new one seems as snappy as the previous model, no major improvements in real life workload, except for synthetic benchmark scores.

The lack of the home button may prove annoying in the cockpit, having to rely solely on Face ID.

As I cannot keep both, I can sell the previous model for about $500, if anyone needs it. It has 64 GB of storage, WiFi + Cellular, and not a single scratch, front or back.

However, for those wanting to upgrade from an IPad mini, I would personally recommend waiting for a new model from Apple, since the pro models cannot be easily mounted on a yoke, due to the larger size that would in most cases obstruct the instruments.

It’s like the third post in this thread cheesehead.....still there.

You left out the two new iPad Pro models, the new 12.9" and the 11", both of which lack the home button. As far as when to buy an iPad Mini, I spent months waiting for an iPad Mini 5 and finally gave up and ordered a 4. I suggest buying a refurbished one. The 64GB non-cellular model is $309 and will be a lot more useful than hopes and dreams while waiting for yet another iPad announcement that, despite all rumors, doesn't even mention the iPad Mini.

As I said, palm rejection is the key feature for me. My handwriting is barely legible as it is. Having to write without supporting some part of my hand on the page makes it utterly impossible to read anything I have written. The only ways I know to get palm rejection on an iPad are to use the Pencil or to use one of the quirky apps that does a bad job of implementing palm rejection for a stylus, which I've never had any luck with. (The Pencil is also annoying because you can't turn it off, so in my experience the battery is always at 0% when I need it. But that's a separate nuisance and maybe the new one, which I haven't looked at, does that better.)

Really I'd be happy if Apple updates the mini in any way, just so they don't abandoned it.

I think we'd all be happy with that, and hopeful that they don't abandon it! They can call it an iPad Pro 8" and charge me $1500 if they want, I just want a small device with the oomph of the bigger ones.

I would assume that wouldn’t be an issue at all unless you were waving the thing directly in front of the panel though. I mean I could take my Surface Pro pencil and do some testing on the ground I suppose. They are hardly magnetic. Just can’t imagine it causing any issues.

I'm not familiar with the Surface Pro pencil, is it held to the device magnetically?

I can tell you that the magnet Apple has included in every iPad except the original one, whose purpose is to hold their screen cover on, DOES affect aircraft compasses. On the ground, if you look at the compass with no iPads within a wingspan of any part of the plane, and then put an iPad anywhere in the cockpit, the compass reading will change. Adding another magnet isn't going to help the situation.

The Earth's magnetic field is pretty weak and easy to disturb in a small area like a GA cockpit. That's why you may have heard that the best place for a magnetometer to be mounted is about 100 feet behind the airplane. :rofl:

I just upgraded from the 2017 10.5" IPad Pro to the 2018 11" IPad Pro. The new one seems as snappy as the previous model, no major improvements in real life workload, except for synthetic benchmark scores.

Wait 3 years and try again, the difference will be much more noticeable.

The lack of the home button may prove annoying in the cockpit, having to rely solely on Face ID.

Depends. I think those of us with yoke-mounted iPads will do better with Face ID, while those who have them sitting on the right seat or on a kneeboard will hate Face ID and wish for Touch ID instead.

It’s like the third post in this thread cheesehead.....still there.

I can't see that post - It doesn't show up in the thread, and if I click on either the arrow in the quote to take me there, or on the attachment in your quoted message, I get a permissions error. :(

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 9.20.13 AM.png

Mods - @Mtns2Skies @Ted DuPuis @Everskyward @jesse why can I not see that post?

Last edited:
You left out the two new iPad Pro models, the new 12.9" and the 11", both of which lack the home button.

No, I mislabeled the 11 as the 10.5. I purposely did not include last year's models, because... They're last year's models and the discount is pretty much never worth having tech that's a year older (and will thus last a year less at the end of its life cycle).

As far as when to buy an iPad Mini, I spent months waiting for an iPad Mini 5 and finally gave up and ordered a 4. I suggest buying a refurbished one. The 64GB non-cellular model is $309 and will be a lot more useful than hopes and dreams while waiting for yet another iPad announcement that, despite all rumors, doesn't even mention the iPad Mini.

Again, though, the Mini 4 is at the end of its life. I can't recommend it, even as a refurb (and I do highly recommend Apple's refurbs, by the way).

What announcement are you referring to? I don't think anyone is expecting anything until at least March. The glimmer of hope lies in the fact that Apple did at least mention the Mini at the last announcement, which is more than they'd done the last couple of years. If you need a Mini, and you need it right now, then yes, the refurb Mini 4 is the way to go. If you have a working one right now (like my Mini 2), a few more months' wait is probably in order IMO.

As I said, palm rejection is the key feature for me. My handwriting is barely legible as it is. Having to write without supporting some part of my hand on the page makes it utterly impossible to read anything I have written. The only ways I know to get palm rejection on an iPad are to use the Pencil or to use one of the quirky apps that does a bad job of implementing palm rejection for a stylus, which I've never had any luck with.

Ah. I wasn't aware that there was any palm rejection with the Apple Pencil.

I think we'd all be happy with that, and hopeful that they don't abandon it! They can call it an iPad Pro 8" and charge me $1500 if they want, I just want a small device with the oomph of the bigger ones.

I'm not familiar with the Surface Pro pencil, is it held to the device magnetically?

I can tell you that the magnet Apple has included in every iPad except the original one, whose purpose is to hold their screen cover on, DOES affect aircraft compasses. On the ground, if you look at the compass with no iPads within a wingspan of any part of the plane, and then put an iPad anywhere in the cockpit, the compass reading will change. Adding another magnet isn't going to help the situation.

The Earth's magnetic field is pretty weak and easy to disturb in a small area like a GA cockpit. That's why you may have heard that the best place for a magnetometer to be mounted is about 100 feet behind the airplane. :rofl:

Wait 3 years and try again, the difference will be much more noticeable.

Depends. I think those of us with yoke-mounted iPads will do better with Face ID, while those who have them sitting on the right seat or on a kneeboard will hate Face ID and wish for Touch ID instead.

Yea it is magnetic. Ahh I didn't realize that even just the magnet to hold the screen cover on affects the compass. Sorry.

What announcement are you referring to? I don't think anyone is expecting anything until at least March. The glimmer of hope lies in the fact that Apple did at least mention the Mini at the last announcement, which is more than they'd done the last couple of years. If you need a Mini, and you need it right now, then yes, the refurb Mini 4 is the way to go. If you have a working one right now (like my Mini 2), a few more months' wait is probably in order IMO.
I ordered my iPad Mini 4 in spring 2017. There had been persistent rumors at Apple's events for at least two cycles before then that the iPad Mini would receive an update, and instead it was not even mentioned at either of those events. The same happened with a couple events after that. I just gave up and bought one. I wouldn't have upgraded if I had a working Mini at the time. Instead, I had a recently-broken iPad Air, so I ordered a Mini and a 10.5" Pro with a Pencil and Keyboard. My point is not to wait forever for a new Mini if you want an iPad in that form factor but don't already have one, because one may never arrive.

Got the ipad (9.7) and love it.
Recently added an iphone XS Max to it, just in case...

I broke down and got a iPad Pro 11. Damn the screen seems massive, and much clearer than the iPad 9.7 I replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I broke down and got a iPad Pro 11. Damn the screen seems massive, and much clearer than the iPad 9.7 I replaced.

How does ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot look on the new, longer 4.3:3 aspect ratio of the iPad Pro 11? I saw the Pro 11 in the store today, don't know why they didn't have ForeFlight loaded on one of the Apple Store floor models.~

Or in the eyes of a experienced pilot.
Oh stuff. . .I ain't Chuck Yeager, but I can scan several instruments without crashing and burning, and can even steal a glance at the Garmin 530 in cruise, confirming FF is still rational, all without entering a death spiral.

Some experinced pilots find it's qucker to make changes in FF, do what's necessary, then update the far clunkier Garmin box a moment or two later. Or, as we have now, use a FS210 and enter it once, and be happy.

Has anyone found a good kneeboard for the 11" iPad Pro?

Has anyone found a good kneeboard for the 11" iPad Pro?

Personally, I think MyClip is the best solution. I use one for my Mini 4 if I am not in my personal plane, which has a Yoke mount.

MyGoFlight makes top notch gear as well, but it is expensive (edit: doesn't look like they have anything out for the iPad Pro yet).

How does ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot look on the new, longer 4.3:3 aspect ratio of the iPad Pro 11? I saw the Pro 11 in the store today, don't know why they didn't have ForeFlight loaded on one of the Apple Store floor models.~
Looks like ForeFlight has already been updated to use the entire screen (I have found a few apps which have not yet). The maps are very crisp and scroll perfectly. My 5th generation iPad would lag or catch at times, this is 100% smooth. So yes FF looks great. Also the pencil sticks nice and firm and charges while attached. Think that is going to be great for taking down IFR instructions.

The glare does seem less in one day of use, but I have not put it in a cockpit yet.

Just to show what it looks like on an iPad 11.
764681bdc0f22e144c2db2b504f73fd8.jpg

That might be an early sign of an upgraded Mini.
Or discontinuing the Mini. They didn’t lower the price of the iPad Pro 10.5” when they introduced the 11”. If Apple was going to introduce a new Mini in the immediate future they reall F-ed up missing Christmas. I very much hope I’m wrong.

Or discontinuing the Mini. They didn’t lower the price of the iPad Pro 10.5” when they introduced the 11”. If Apple was going to introduce a new Mini in the immediate future they reall F-ed up missing Christmas. I very much hope I’m wrong.
+1

Apple usually does new iPads in March and October, not in the heat of the holiday shopping season.

Ok we had some discussion about magnets in iPads and our compasses. So I did a little experiment ( maybe I was stupid to do this but it was interesting), and the magnets do pack a punch. This is mainly the pencil magnet on the iPad 11 ( which seems like the strongest one).

It effects the compass a ton, but only seems to move it when very close. I am unsure how much of a effect it has realistically when used 2 or 3 feet away.

Ok we had some discussion about magnets in iPads and our compasses. So I did a little experiment ( maybe I was stupid to do this but it was interesting), and the magnets do pack a punch. This is mainly the pencil magnet on the iPad 11 ( which seems like the strongest one).

It effects the compass a ton, but only seems to move it when very close. I am unsure how much of a effect it has realistically when used 2 or 3 feet away.

Wow! I wasn't expecting that complete spin.

What I have seen is a difference of maybe 5-20 degrees when an iPad is in the cockpit compared to nowhere near the plane. I think it'll also depend on the way the plane is facing when you do the test. Try it with a parked plane and the iPad far away and then in the cockpit, then rotate the plane 90 degrees and try again. It'll probably be interesting!

Magnetic fields are invisible, but can be useful and/or a PITA. I recently found out that if I were to use a dustbuster or other vacuum cleaner where the motor would be inside the plane - I have a Mooney, with the steel cage around the cockpit - that the motor would induce a field in the cage and screw up the compass but good. The only way to fix it is to get the airframe degaussed (remember that button you could push on old color CRT's that would cause it to go nuts for a second and then look better? Yeah, that.) I don't want to know what that costs.

Wow! I wasn't expecting that complete spin.

What I have seen is a difference of maybe 5-20 degrees when an iPad is in the cockpit compared to nowhere near the plane. I think it'll also depend on the way the plane is facing when you do the test. Try it with a parked plane and the iPad far away and then in the cockpit, then rotate the plane 90 degrees and try again. It'll probably be interesting!

Magnetic fields are invisible, but can be useful and/or a PITA. I recently found out that if I were to use a dustbuster or other vacuum cleaner where the motor would be inside the plane - I have a Mooney, with the steel cage around the cockpit - that the motor would induce a field in the cage and screw up the compass but good. The only way to fix it is to get the airframe degaussed (remember that button you could push on old color CRT's that would cause it to go nuts for a second and then look better? Yeah, that.) I don't want to know what that costs.

Better go back to paper charts buddy!!!

Got the ipad (9.7) and love it.
Recently added an iphone XS Max to it, just in case...

I still have the ipad 2, and it is vary rapidly becoming unusable. Even since this thread was started, I got to web sites and if they have any GIF type stuff, or comments that have to load it just "reloads" the page again and again...huge PITA.

My wife has the same one (highest possible iOs is 9.3.5), but she had a BD on the 4th and I bought her the same as you have. ipad 9.7.

It took over a day to get setup. Just hung, and hung on the icloud part, and then she turned it off and on again, it did a little more and was setup. Not a big complaint...and after it works great. She's very happy with it. She "feels bad" seeing me with my dumb old ipad 2 :)

We have had the old ones for a while, but still...they are totally functional and it is a little irritating that there is no support (as is always the case) as time goes on. It would not be hard for the standard web page to have the possibility of working with the older ipad, even if some features were clumsier. But that is why I didn't consider the much more expensive "pro" and other versions...god knows how long until they are unusable, and then it is on to the next one.

I believe Best Buy is running holiday specials on the iPad 2018 (6 th gen). It is the best bang for the buck, and works as well as the pro 90% of the time.

So, the bad news is the new iPad Mini has the same size bezels. The good news is Apple updated rather than discontinued the Mini. I'd say I wish I hadn't bought the last version so recently, but it was super helpful during IFR training.

Last edited:
Back