Eleuthera

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0486.jpg IMG_0488.jpg IMG_8707.jpg IMG_8713.jpg IMG_8740.jpg Sue and I took a mini vacation this last week as a chance to use our new for us C414. An opportunity came up on the Twin Cessna Flyers forum to join a couple at a house they had rented in Governors Harbor Eleuthera Bahamas. We didn't know this couple at all, but those that were going to join them in this three bedroom house could not go at the last minute. They generously offered the unused rooms to whomever wanted to bring a bottle of wine or bourbon.

We had a fabulous time. The other couple was so easy to get along with, and we had a super time together. They have a new to them C340, but it was still in annual so they flew their Mooney down.

I am still learning the capabilities and performance of the C414. I wanted to carry enough fuel to the island to get back because there is no fuel at MYEM. So a stop in Florida was necessary. I picked KHWO because it was about as close to my destination as possible (217nm) and had the cheapest fuel. Only thing was the runway is only 3255' and I wanted to go out with full fuel of 163 gallons. Hmm. I weighed everything going into the plane to the pound and interpolated the performance chart to the exact weight and temperature. 3020' to clear a 50' obstacle is what the book said. I can only estimate where I actually rotated at 91 kts, but I think it was exactly what the book said. I feel good about that.

The overwater flight to MYEM was easy. The airport is uncontrolled, and there were only 3 planes in parking. Customs took minutes (and 50 bucks), our new friends were waiting, and off we went to a fun few days.

The house they'd rented was beautiful, comfortable and well located. There's a reason the pink sand beaches are world famous. We ate well, but nice restaurants are expensive. We toured around a little because the other couple is looking to buy a place or property there. Saturday night even happen to be the Junkanoo festival and parade in Governors Harbor, and we had a lot of fun attending that. (A small drone was cruising around, I suppose to video things. It hit some electrical or telephone wires, crashed next to me and bounced onto my leg opening a small cut. Now there's a unique story.)

It was chamber of commerce weather until early morning Sunday our departure day. The cold front that brought all the weather to the southeast passed over bringing rain, low ceilings and very strong and gusty winds. The wind noise woke us up numerous times during the night. The ceilings had lifted some and the rain had mostly stopped by morning, but it was very windy and gusty. The winds aloft were very strong headwinds all the way home at all altitudes.

The other couple decided to stay another day, but we departed for KFPR. I was able to get up to 8,000' VFR, contacted Miami Center for my clearance and fought the headwinds back. At 8,000' I was seeing as little as 132 kts ground speed while sucking 28 gph. I'm glad we filled up in Florida.

Customs was easy at KFPR, but the winds there were strong and gusty too. FBO is right next to customs and has a small restaurant. Nice lunch while they filled us back up. Our flight back to our home airport was fine, but again strong headwinds made it longer than I would have liked. Arrived after dark, and it was pretty cold compared to what we'd enjoyed for the previous few days.

So we've made new friends, used our plane as intended, seen a new place and had an adventure. I am again so happy to have gotten into general aviation.

Last edited:
Flew CRJs (200 & 700) into there. Interesting little airport for a jet. Terminal was a little comical. Passengers cleared security and then sat outside the building on plane side on benches before boarding. We were parked about 100-150' away from them. I recall the runway being pretty wide giving the illusion the runway was shorter. Fun though, and scenic.

Did you take any pics of the airport from the air?

Last edited:
Flew CRJs (200 & 700) into there. Interesting little airport for a jet. Terminal was a little comical. Passengers cleared security and then sat outside the building on plane side on benches before boarding. We were parked about 100-150' away from them. I recall the runway being pretty wide giving the illusion the runway was shorter. Fun though, and scenic.

That airport was built by the DoD to support a missile tracking site in Governors Harbour.

Oh, and getting 'fried chicken' in the airport snack bar means an entire chicken.

View attachment 50508 View attachment 50509 View attachment 50511 View attachment 50512 View attachment 50513 View attachment 50514 Sue and I took a mini vacation this last week as a chance to use our new for us C414. An opportunity came up on the Twin Cessna Flyers forum to join a couple at a house they had rented in Governors Harbor Eleuthera Bahamas. We didn't know this couple at all, but those that were going to join them in this three bedroom house could not go at the last minute. They generously offered the unused rooms to whomever wanted to bring a bottle of wine or bourbon.

We had a fabulous time. The other couple was so easy to get along with, and we had a super time together. They have a new to them C340, but it was still in annual so they flew their Mooney down.

I am still learning the capabilities and performance of the C414. I wanted to carry enough fuel to the island to get back because there is no fuel at MYEM. So a stop in Florida was necessary. I picked KHWO because it was about as close to my destination as possible (217nm) and had the cheapest fuel. Only thing was the runway is only 3255' and I wanted to go out with full fuel of 163 gallons. Hmm. I weighed everything going into the plane to the pound and interpolated the performance chart to the exact weight and temperature. 3020' to clear a 50' obstacle is what the book said. I can only estimate where I actually rotated at 91 kts, but I think it was exactly what the book said. I feel good about that.

The overwater flight to MYEM was easy. The airport is uncontrolled, and there were only 3 planes in parking. Customs took minutes (and 50 bucks), our new friends were waiting, and off we went to a fun few days.

The house they'd rented was beautiful, comfortable and well located. There's a reason the pink sand beaches are world famous. We ate well, but nice restaurants are expensive. We toured around a little because the other couple is looking to buy a place or property there. Saturday night even happen to be the Junkanoo festival and parade in Governors Harbor, and we had a lot of fun attending that. (A small drone was cruising around, I suppose to video things. It hit some electrical or telephone wires, crashed next to me and bounced onto my leg opening a small cut. Now there's a unique story.)

It was chamber of commerce weather until early morning Sunday our departure day. The cold front that brought all the weather to the southeast passed over bringing rain, low ceilings and very strong and gusty winds. The wind noise woke us up numerous times during the night. The ceilings had lifted some and the rain had mostly stopped by morning, but it was very windy and gusty. The winds aloft were very strong headwinds all the way home at all altitudes.

The other couple decided to stay another day, but we departed for KFPR. I was able to get up to 8,000' VFR, contacted Miami Center for my clearance and fought the headwinds back. At 8,000' I was seeing as little as 132 kts ground speed while sucking 28 gph. I'm glad we filled up in Florida.

Customs was easy at KFPR, but the winds there were strong and gusty too. FBO is right next to customs and has a small restaurant. Nice lunch while they filled us back up. Our flight back to our home airport was fine, but again strong headwinds made it longer than I would have liked. Arrived after dark, and it was pretty cold compared to what we'd enjoyed for the previous few days.

So we've made new friends, used our plane as intended, seen a new place and had an adventure. I am again so happy to have gotten into general aviation.
Sounds like a great trip.
Thanks for your post.
Governors Harbor is a fun town.

Did you see much damage from Hurricane Matthew? We flew into Freeport and spent the week between Christmas and New Years there. There were trees snapped off and roofs damaged all over the island, but the worst damage was on the West End.

Photo_1.jpg

Photo_2.jpg

Wow, those I some pictures. I saw no damage to property like this or any areas of trees down. However we were told that beach sand was lost on the Caribbean side. The Atlantic side beaches looked about perfect to me. Matthew's path must have missed the part of Eleuthera that I saw.

I was there on 12/27 and 1/3. Unfortunately, only for an hour each time. Never left the airport. :(

I'd like to fly down but I don't really know what's involved.

Is there a " here's what you need to do to fly to Bahamas" somewhere? Like get this, file that, have this paperwork, etc.

I know you need to have a customs decal, but that's about it that I know. I flight planned to Treasure Cay and its 2.8 from me! assuming we stop for gas in Fla, maybe 3.5 ish .

I'd like to fly down but I don't really know what's involved.

Is there a " here's what you need to do to fly to Bahamas" somewhere? Like get this, file that, have this paperwork, etc.

I know you need to have a customs decal, but that's about it that I know. I flight planned to Treasure Cay and its 2.8 from me! assuming we stop for gas in Fla, maybe 3.5 ish .

There's a Bahama Flying guide, has a lot of info. May be better out there, I dunno

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilot...YLJWBA5m0tIJ1d1uec9Lxg1z7t55yYFYa0aAvZs8P8HAQ

For Part 91, it's pretty painless.

Bahamas requires three copies of a General Declaration, basically just have to list who's on the plane and an Arrival Report.( a simple one page document) and then each passenger has to fill out a pink Bahamas customs form.

US requires EAPIS be filed both ways. And then stop at the first port of entry, PBI or FPR are good ones with each passenger filling out a blue customs form (or one per family). Call the port of entry prior to departure to notify them of your arrival.

The thing about the EAPIS is, you must register on the website prior and must be done at least an hour before departure.

http://www.bahamas.com/things-do/private-flying
I used this site. Look at the FAQs and the check lists. Bahama's seem to be very GA friendly. Customs fee is $50 per plane at your first entry and there's a $29 per person departure fee. All in all it's very easy. And the destination is great.

I took a video of my landing in North Eleuthera. The weather wasn't as good in the northern part of the Bahamas as it was in the southern half.

Staniel Key Airport

You can check out my other videos on my YouTube channel FlyingPhanatic. I am slowly getting more and more of my Bahamas trip uploaded.

I saw that post on TCF. If the planets had lined up I would have tried to join you... It's a bucket-list item... Maybe next time... I'm glad you had a wonderful time... Aviation is truly awesome...:happydance::happydance::happydance:

[...] And then stop at the first port of entry, PBI or FPR are good ones with each passenger filling out a blue customs form (or one per family). [...]

I heard this before, the AOPA Bahamas guide however states that you only have to land at the first port of entry if your are north of a certain parallel (i believe the 40th). Since we want to go to Key West after our stay on Eleuthera, I called customs there and they confirmed that we could fly straight to Key West.

Frankly, I'm a little bit nervous about this and would prefer to have something in written, but wasn't able to find anything on the CBPs website. Does somebody know where I can find the official rule making for this?

Back