PHI filed bankruptcy

All that tells us is that pilots are better at declining a flight before the rotor starts turning than after. Your data supports the idea that once the patient is on board, pilots often feel pressure (internal or external) to complete the mission.
What you do here is called a 'straw man' argument. I never argued that pilots are crashing trying to fly to the scene. My argument is that for scene flights, there is a very limited role for IFR flight. So even if you have everything in place for a safe IFR operation, it will only affect a very narrow part of the operation.

Haha, talk about a straw man argument. You keep changing the "straw man" that you are arguing with after I show that every one of your theories is wrong, while neglecting to acknowledge it.

You just refuse to see the validity of my statements. You seem to think that just because a flight might start VFR, that it negates a SPIFR aircraft. Honestly your ignorance in the whole situation is making it hard to have a reasonable conversation about it. Look I get it, you have your mind made up and aren't going to listen to anyone. I'm telling you, as someone who has a lot of first hand experience doing both, SPIFR is safer. Since you said you aren't an HAA pilot, but instead in the medical field or fire, you should stop arguing and listen for a minute when someone who has done the very thing we are talking about is trying to tell you something. I have given you the data, I have given you my opinion from my first hand experience, you may continue to believe whatever you want. Let me guess, your trauma center is serviced by AEL?

Last edited:
Good thing we reformed helo guys are in here, huh? Keeps things under control. [Massive sarcasm]

Haha, talk about a straw man argument. You keep changing the "straw man" that you are arguing with after I show that every one of your theories is wrong, while neglecting to acknowledge it.

You keep coming up with things that you think I said and then argue against them.

You just refuse to see the validity of my statements. You seem to think that just because a flight might start VFR, that it negates a SPIFR aircraft.

Again one of those things that I didn't say.

Honestly your ignorance in the whole situation is making it hard to have a reasonable conversation about it. Look I get it, you have your mind made up and aren't going to listen to anyone. I'm telling you, as someone who has a lot of first hand experience doing both, SPIFR is safer. Since you said you aren't an HAA pilot, but instead in the medical field or fire, you should stop arguing and listen for a minute when someone who has done the very thing we are talking about is trying to tell you something. I have given you the data, I have given you my opinion from my first hand experience, you may continue to believe whatever you want. Let me guess, your trauma center is serviced by AEL?

The operation is a wholly owned subsidiary that does twin engine IFR both rotor and fixed wing. AEL wouldn't usually be based at a trauma center, if you paid attention, that's not their business model. They use a lower cost helicopter and minimal staffing to put bases where others can't make a business case for it.

I am not arguing with you. I just dont think your conclusions are supported by your data. No need to take this personal and lash out.

Ideally, every HAA operation should be a twin engine IFR shop with NVGs. On the clinical side, there should always be two crew members, with one of them an RN. But I understand the economic realities of the business and until medicare and the commercial payors reimburse based on performance, there are going to be situations where a basic VFR operation with a pilot and a medic has to do.

Last edited:
So I’m a current offshore O&G worker and the company I work for uses PHI. Although there are some smaller birds in the fleet they mostly have S-92, S-76 and AW-139 in their fleet in Louisiana. We are 190 miles almost due south of New Orleans and our facility solely uses the S-92. As far as for the price of oil to sustain the industry, we are currently above that price point as the awarding of many new contracts is indicative of such. I’m sure that PHI is still in a world of hurt from the moratorium but they were still flying offshore at that time.

As for the 407, Bristow had one go down last week. The 11th I believe and it “could” have been vfr to imc because I know all of our flights in the area got cancelled due to weather

Back