Engine Control Cable Sources

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Besides McFarlane, what other sources are there for engine control cables?

I have used Cessna for the mixture control cable on my 172. Much cheaper than McFarlane since the Cessna is a plain push pull type whereas McFarlane wants to sell you a vernier type.

I have used Cessna for the mixture control cable on my 172. Much cheaper than McFarlane since the Cessna is a plain push pull type whereas McFarlane wants to sell you a vernier type.
McFarlane offers a non-vernier as well.

We replaced ours with a vernier, worth the extra money to us. Still not crazy expensive, given that it will likely last a decade or more.

Watch that McFarlane one-size-fits-all vernier mix cable. It has a large wire in it, around .090", much larger than the typical OEM cable. You need a clamp bolt with that larger hole in it, and if your lever has a quarter-inch clamp bolt, that bolt loses a lot of material to the cable hole, and you can break the bolt with any overtightening at all. You gain wire strength but lose clamp strength.

You also need a bigger hole in the instrument panel for it. Make sure there's room for that and the larger nut that goes behind the panel.

McFarlane offers a non-vernier as well.

What part number? Only one I see in their "eligibility list" for a 172 is the MC600-72, a $200 vernier type.

What part number? Only one I see in their "eligibility list" for a 172 is the MC600-72, a $200 vernier type.
It would be an "owner designed part" you tell them what you need, or send them your existing control and they send you a design sheet to sign that it is your design. Then they make the part to your design.

Back