[NA]Security Cameras[NA]

We're up to 12 Wyze cams now. Most of them are outside but when one of the cats was losing his battle with cancer my wife wanted to keep an eye on him while she was at work so we put one in the living room and one in our bedroom because that's where the cat spent most of his time when we weren't home.

I didn't relish the thought of having video of my naked butt getting out of the shower every morning so I set up a script using IFTTT and Life360 so the interior cameras turn themselves off when either of us get home and turn themselves back on when both of us leave. Works like a champ.

I just want a simple indoor/outdoor wireless cam with live streaming, no need for recording, so I can check in on our dogs when I’m at work. Must work with iOS, and PC log-in access would be a plus, but not required. Free live streaming would be best, as it’s not really worth paying for a subscription. Any ideas?

I just want a simple indoor/outdoor wireless cam with live streaming, no need for recording, so I can check in on our dogs when I’m at work. Must work with iOS, and PC log-in access would be a plus, but not required. Free live streaming would be best, as it’s not really worth paying for a subscription. Any ideas?
That's pretty much what Wyze does. They're officially indoor only but as long as you put it under something that will keep the rain off it, they do fine. Live streams to iOS with no subscription.

That's pretty much what Wyze does. They're officially indoor only but as long as you put it under something that will keep the rain off it, they do fine. Live streams to iOS with no subscription.

Yikes! Wyze is Chinese spyware! Be careful!!!

Careful of what? If the Chinese (or anyone else) wants to pay some schmuck to watch my chickens forage around their pen all week and watch me piddle around my shop all weekend, well all I can say is sucks being that guy.

I suspect its a comment on the fact that Wyze doesn't build their own hardware, they buy it from low cost Chinese vendors. If China wants to tunnel into my cameras, that's fine by me. I couldn't think of a more boring way to spend my day but to each their own.

Ya but if I break into your house and take the cameras you would have no video of the event right?

Funny you mention this.

I had an 8 camera system installed on my moms house. A week later she tells me the camera watching the front door and porch is not working. So I check and the camera is gone.

I look at the history and see a guy walk onto the property, then onto the porch and look at a box that was on the porch that was full of trash. He looks up and sees the camera, then he grabs it and starts yanking until he pulls it free. Really good picture of his face. Plus 2 other cameras watching him on the property. Rural area, everyone knows everybody and it didn't take long to find someone that knows him and where he lives. I am just waiting to catch him walking the street again.

It’s called the internet. ;) Look around. Wyze is not highly regarded as secure video.

Im almost offended by your assumption that I didn’t already try and look. But this is the internet...
I can’t find anything; hence me asking for your source.

It’s called the internet. ;) Look around. Wyze is not highly regarded as secure video.
They're cheap and they work and there's no subscription which is EXACTLY you asked for. You don't wanna use it? Don't. Pay more for something else. Not my money so I could care less.

Im almost offended by your assumption that I didn’t already try and look. But this is the internet...
I can’t find anything; hence me asking for your source.

Amazon. Lots of users saying the camera recorded footage while "off" and other reporting that the camera re-established a new MAC address after being changed by the user. Et cetera.

They're cheap and they work and there's no subscription which is EXACTLY you asked for. You don't wanna use it? Don't. Pay more for something else. Not my money so I could care less.

Oh, sure... I never said I wouldn't use them for what I'm looking for, rather, I was just cautioning others to be careful of where they point em. I read stories about naked footage being recorded when the Wyze units were "off." :)

Amazon. Lots of users saying the camera recorded footage while "off" and other reporting that the camera re-established a new MAC address after being changed by the user. Et cetera.

I see 1 “possible” security concern in all the 1 -3 star reviews I read. It’s the one where they can’t figure out why they’re hearing Chinese voices on the camera. However this is odd in itself because why would the camera record itself talking? I suspect something else is going on here.

The rest of the reviews are things like
“Also, why is it asking me for access to my iPhone photos whenever want to record a video o or a snapshot onto the memory card on the device?!”

Well, this is because in order to save a video or snapshot to your photo library, the app needs access to the photo library. It’s not about stealing your photos....

I suspect most of the “security reviews” are poorly informed.

At this point I’ve done more research trying to validate your claim than I did before I purchased the camera myself; and I’m still convinced it’s not worse than any other consumer grade electronic.

I see 1 “possible” security concern in all the 1 -3 star reviews I read. It’s the one where they can’t figure out why they’re hearing Chinese voices on the camera. However this is odd in itself because why would the camera record itself talking? I suspect something else is going on here.

The rest of the reviews are things like
“Also, why is it asking me for access to my iPhone photos whenever want to record a video o or a snapshot onto the memory card on the device?!”

Well, this is because in order to save a video or snapshot to your photo library, the app needs access to the photo library. It’s not about stealing your photos....

I suspect most of the “security reviews” are poorly informed.

At this point I’ve done more research trying to validate your claim than I did before I purchased the camera myself; and I’m still convinced it’s not worse than any other consumer grade electronic.

I'm sorry that I offended you personally when I suggested that these inexpensive cameras are not highly secure. ;) Again, I never said that I wouldn't use them, however, they are rated as indoor cameras, so that may be the deal breaker.

Last edited:
...however, they are rated as indoor cameras, so that may be the deal breaker.
I currently have half a dozen of them outside. Some are in non-watertight enclosures, others are naked up under eaves. No issues. Even when it got down to 20 below.

I could really care less about what it does with MAC addresses but about 30 seconds of googling reveals that they seem to have 2 MACs. One from the manufacturer and one from Wyze and the camera uses both at different times. Shrug.

I currently have half a dozen of them outside. Some are in non-watertight enclosures, others are naked up under eaves. No issues. Even when it got down to 20 below.

That's where I want to tuck a couple cams so I can spy on my dogs when I'm not home. As long as they've stayed dry you've had good luck with them, so I may try one out for that price. If the Chinese want to watch my dogs run around that's fine with me. :)

I'm sorry that I offended you personally when I suggested that these inexpensive cameras are not highly secure. ;) Again, I never said that I wouldn't use them, however, they are rated as indoor cameras, so that may be the deal breaker.

Meh. No hard feelings. Just trying to figure out if the claims were backed by security research because I was under the impression Wyze was at least following security best practices; better than what most companies do.

So far as I know, the Dericam will suit your purposes. There is no cost other than the cell data you use. I use an Android phone - but they provide an app for iPhones as well.
PC access is provided by way of an application program. Mine is an outdoor-rated PTZ Dome camera - but they have fixed and indoor models as well. If fixed will do, it will
be even less expensive. Check them out here: http://www.dericam.com/

Dave

How are they powered?

I've been researching similar stuff, too. No need for recording, just want to stream as a baby monitor. You would be amazed at how difficult it is to find a "Nanny Cam" that works worth a damn. We have been searching for a baby video monitoring system that supports two cameras for a while. The problem is, the WiFi isn't great in one camera location, and they suck up a bunch of bandwidth. The ones that work off of 2.4GHz spectrum with a dedicated parent unit don't have the range to reach either of the two camera locations from our master bedroom. I think I'm going to have to figure out how to use a security cam system to do what we need.

I've been researching similar stuff, too. No need for recording, just want to stream as a baby monitor. You would be amazed at how difficult it is to find a "Nanny Cam" that works worth a damn. We have been searching for a baby video monitoring system that supports two cameras for a while. The problem is, the WiFi isn't great in one camera location, and they suck up a bunch of bandwidth. The ones that work off of 2.4GHz spectrum with a dedicated parent unit don't have the range to reach either of the two camera locations from our master bedroom. I think I'm going to have to figure out how to use a security cam system to do what we need.
Sounds like you need a wifi extension solution. Lots of ways to get that done depending on what you've got to work with. If you've got a wired connection anywhere near the weak end of your wifi coverage, get a second router and configure it as an access point on a separate channel. If you don't have any wired connections handy, setup a wireless repeater.

Sounds like you need a wifi extension solution. Lots of ways to get that done depending on what you've got to work with. If you've got a wired connection anywhere near the weak end of your wifi coverage, get a second router and configure it as an access point on a separate channel. If you don't have any wired connections handy, setup a wireless repeater.

I've looked into the repeaters, but I'm not sure if I have too many places to install it that would receive a solid signal to relay. My thought was to run Cat5 across the living room from a port on the existing wireless router to a network extender closer to the upstairs bedroom. I just worry about the overall bandwidth getting clogged with a few streaming devices (Roku/FireTV/AV Receiver) and various other wireless devices throwing their data on the pile, then adding a couple of constantly streaming WiFi cameras to it. We don't need the ability to check in while out of the house, and I really don't need it to stream anything unless it detects movement or sound. Reading the reviews on just about every dedicated baby video monitor seems to be littered with people who are frustrated with dropped signals and interrupted streams. Expensive purchases to hope one of them works.

Use your phone to figure out where the wifi strength starts to drop off, then put a repeater there.

I wouldn't be too concerned about too many devices. I've got a second access point in the house, a network bridge that extends the broadband to a separate shop building, an access point in that building with a roof antenna that gives outdoor wifi to a good chunk of 5 acres and then connected to all that are enough devices to eat up 30 or 40 IP addresses. And we don't have any trouble with bottle necks or slow access.

Back