Anybody using robotic lawn mowers?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Curious how well they work, how to prevent them from bring stolen, battery life, etc.

Lawn care is pricey and not all that dependable in my neighborhood. Wondering if this is a viable option or just an online ad/fad

I am already planning on using my kid for that. Although I need a lawn first...

Wait. You have a lawn problem, I will have a kid, we can make this work!

I saw one in my neighborhood the other day, it was super quiet. I use a battery powered lawn mower, but it was much quieter than that. Also, my dog didn't know what the think about it.

Curious how well they work, how to prevent them from bring stolen, battery life, etc.

Lawn care is pricey and not all that dependable in my neighborhood. Wondering if this is a viable option or just an online ad/fad

Used a Robomower for 8 years and loved it. Now I've moved and have 2 acres so bought a tractor.

Had two sets of batteries so I could do all parts of the yard in one day. It does take some patience to get things set up properly to work smoothly. Had a couple mechanical issues over the 8 years, but managed to sort them out myself.

Almost got stolen once. It finished up and stopped near the street and I caught two guys loading it up. People in our subdivision often put stuff on the curb to give away.

Attachments

• 13603735_10153699420628663_9022744149974147981_o.jpg
    13603735_10153699420628663_9022744149974147981_o.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 50
Guy had them at our lawn show last year. Sounds like they mow everyday or every other day. Grass is kept shorter than normal with the ones they had. As far as getting stollen they have built in gps for tracking and if they leave your yard they put off a siren noise. I think he was selling huscavarna

No....it seems they contract that out and pay for gym memberships to get their exercise.
Despite my best efforts, i can barely get my heartrate above 140 while mowing.

I mow just over 3 acres with a riding mower and another 12 with my tractor. If I lived In a subdivision I'd just push mow and be done in what an hour tops with weedeating. Cheaper than paying someone.

Now are you in an HOA? If so what do they use the fees on? Should be mowing! My Brother In law lived In an HOA subdivision and nobody had to mow yards. The HOA contracted that out. My brother in law still mowed his because he didn't like how they it. Haha

I'm not mowing my lawn. It is not a good use of my time. It takes me more than half of a Saturday to mow my yard.

I'd rather fly and do family stuff.

But I'm paying 200 a month to have it mowed. Wondering if the robotic lawn mowers in might save money.

I mow just over 3 acres with a riding mower and another 12 with my tractor. If I lived In a subdivision I'd just push mow and be done in what an hour tops with weedeating. Cheaper than paying someone.

Now are you in an HOA? If so what do they use the fees on? Should be mowing! My Brother In law lived In an HOA subdivision and nobody had to mow yards. The HOA contracted that out. My brother in law still mowed his because he didn't like how they it. Haha

The majority of HOA-communities use HOA for maintenance of gardens/neighborhood entrances, or common-use facilities like parks/pools. Those that include yard maintenance/mowing for all members are usually zero-maintenance communities, not just run-of-the-mill HOAs.

I'm not mowing my lawn. It is not a good use of my time. It takes me more than half of a Saturday to mow my yard.

I'd rather fly and do family stuff.

But I'm paying 200 a month to have it mowed. Wondering if the robotic lawn mowers in might save money.

How slow do you mow that it takes 4 hours?! LOL :eek:

How does a house in the burbs take half a Saturday to mow?

My neighbor has one, and it looks pretty cool. He has a steep lawn, and that thing climbs right up and mows.

How does a house in the burbs take half a Saturday to mow?

I had a prof once at a Jr College that said he would tie a rope on his mower handle to keep it running. take frequent beer breaks in the shade, and keep topping off the fuel since it was hard to start. took him all day.

I had a prof once at a Jr College that said he would tie a rope on his mower handle to keep it running. take frequent beer breaks in the shade, and keep topping off the fuel since it was hard to start. took him all day.

And that's why he was at a Junior College . . . .

I have 4 separate areas of grass with no mowable paths between them.

Can robot mowers be moved from one area to another?

Do any of these robots have bagging capabilities?

I only have a little push mower
I live in the burbs as well. I have to mow 1/2acre but not many trees. I had a JD185 with 48'deck for 20yrs (it was 30yrs old BTW). It would take 1hr to mow, maybe longer if I got behind.

I believe in overkill....sold the old tractor and found newer JD X500 with 54" deck. First time I mowed it took 21minutes!!!! If its really tall it takes about 35 minutes. And that is only mowing once per week even if it grows tall fast.

I say get a good rider unless you have a trillion trees to mow around or an aversion to spending $1,000,000 on a $400 problem LOL!!!

In our burb of about 400 houses, all around .3 to 0.7 acres I have never seen a robot mower

ps. Mine came with a 44" 2-stage blower....man did that get put to use this winter.
pps. Don't mow on weekends...with a fast mower, mow on a weeknight.

I don't think a riding mower is the answer. My garage is tiny and my HOA doesn't allow Sheds.

Long time ago I had an electric push mower. After a while I re-worked it to be remote control. Then I wired it up to become an autonomous lawn mower.

This is what happened....

I only have a little push mower

It's not the size of the mower that counts.

on-saturday-afternoon-i-was-sitting-in-my-lawn-chair-32618747.png

Bummer. That just saved you like $4785 though :)
Yeah but it cost him $5000 a year to tell him he can't.

I mean what does the HOA fees cover? I've never understood hoa's in random burb subdivisions unless it paid for common grounds keep around a lake or something cool. Otherwise I have to pay a fee for you to tell me what I can and can't do on MY property to MY house. No thanks! But I guess it keeps the area nice is the only thing.

Back