Flying across the continent

I guess if I find a fly-in right at the end of the route I could probably claim the "furthest flown to attend" prize.

I realize @Katamarino wants to do this no stop. But he could stop and overnight, not add fuel the next day and obtain the same information of fuel endurance. Just a thought.

Test flight today from Portsmouth NH to Spruce Creek FL went very well. Took off with 210 gallons, landed 8.5 hours later with ~90 left on board. Next, the full capacity test, using the Sinistar route!

yuIr8c2h.jpg

sgpOQjsh.jpg

Test flight today from Portsmouth NH to Spruce Creek FL went very well. Took off with 210 gallons, landed 8.5 hours later with ~90 left on board. Next, the full capacity test, using the Sinistar route!

yuIr8c2h.jpg

sgpOQjsh.jpg
What's the Sinistar route?

Florida to California, the opposite of the original plan.

Have you considered KBGR or KPQI instead of KPNN. Both have better services than KPNN, and KBGR is a common jump off point to Gander.

Have you considered KBGR or KPQI instead of KPNN. Both have better services than KPNN, and KBGR is a common jump off point to Gander.

I actually already flew the leg from New England to Florida, and went out of Portsmouth in the end. The decent fuel price and giant runway swung it for me! Next leg is planned from Daytona Beach to LA. Hoping I can get my autopilot fixed down here first or it's going to suck a bit...

Your routing looks fine. As you go through the NM region and heading out into the Plains especially at night, you will find the controllers to be more of cleared direct and more relaxed as long as the weather is good. Absolutely do flight following and when the frequency is clear talk to the controllers about what your doing and why. They will chat as will the freight dogs. Actually I would make a note of your flight reason in the note section of your flight plan so they will know that your prepping for an around the world flight. There is an E Book by a guy who flew to all seven continents in a Lancair and he has some good ideas of the sleep cycle problem. I flew international freight for 30 years and we had an excellent autopilot, multiple crew members and yet sometimes on a long multiple day trip you would wake up and find everyone studying the inside of their eyelids. Fatigue is a killer.

Have fun.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amyksaunders/the-untold-story-of-the-first-woman-to-fly-around-the-world

Flying 7 Continents Solo, by Harry R. Anderson
(Not a link but just so you can search for it)

I admire your gumption, and damn the haters!

But I could never do that myself. After about 5 hours in an airplane that I can stand up in, has a real bathroom and wifi, I want to gouge my eyeballs out. I can't imagine being in a SE Cessna for 14.

Regardless, good luck, and looking forward to hear how it went!

What's the Sinistar route?
Now I am nervous. At least this isn't the Sinister route :)

Looks like he should have some decent weather and maybe not as much headwind with that big HP over Texas.

I think it was only about 3 degrees colder in Daytona this morning at 6am than it was in Honolulu at 6am.

IIRC his trip is about 2400sm. The tracker is showing an average speed pf 125mph. So that makes this about 19hrs in the air...wow!!!!

It shows he left at 6am (Eastern Time) so that would be arrival at 1am (Eastern time) or 10pm (Pacific time). So unlike his original plan he will be over mountains at night and landing at night.

Windy shows some precip in Southern NM starting around 3am but he should past that point by then. The cloud bases layer is all stuff up high over the time of the route. @Katamarino sure picked what looks like a sweet wx day to fly! Good luck.

I sent a message :)

Just got a message from him. He is through the weather and its smooth sailing.

This is awesome, can't wait to do something similar when I am ready.

I said it by text, and I'm saying it again. You're crazy :)

I've been stalking, I mean, observing Katamarino for a couple of hours. He's over the Sonoran Desert National Monument. Too high up for the best view of a gorgeous area, but he's doing 145 statute mph. I'm first in line to buy him a beer, but he's probably going to want a bathroom, massage, and handful of ibuprofen when he lands. And if he lands near me, things haven't gone well.

He reported doing well, enjoying podcasts, and good flying conditions. I'm cheering like hell for him! (For those who haven't met him in person; he's even nicer and cooler than you'd expect.)

What a flight! I'm just realizing I used to see that plane all over SEG back when I was learning to fly around 2010-2011.

Just texted him...he just crossed into California with 60gals left.

Someone else text that man. He's gotta be tired, it's dark and probsbly less than 2hrs to go :)

Looks like he landed! According to FlightAware, 2115nm and 16.3 hours. That’s a lot of flying for one day.

Hand flying for 16 hours!! Holy crap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dang, someone should hook up with the Discovery channel, or similiar - his ventures should appeal to those demographics - I'd watch. . .

Just outstanding!! Well done, Katamarino.... Sleep well, because you have earned it.

Wow. 16 hours? That deserves a hearty handshake... after you shower :D

Oh, the autopilot broke in Florida, just for added fun :eek::mad:

Holy crap! Me, I’d have canceled for that. I’ve had 8-10 hour days WITH an autopilot where I was fatigued at the end.

Of course, maybe that’s what was keeping you awake at the end, a la Lindbergh.

Holy crap! Me, I’d have canceled for that. I’ve had 8-10 hour days WITH an autopilot where I was fatigued at the end.

Of course, maybe that’s what was keeping you awake at the end, a la Lindbergh.

Dang, bud! Well done on a challenging flight.

I feel like I need to land and straighten out my aching back after about 3.5 hrs in the ol' Skylane. I guess I'm just a wimp.

Well done your my hero for the day...let us know how the recovery goes...I hurt just thinking about it

Back