Are 141 Syllabus Set in stone

Armando Oros

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JROROS
I want to my GI BILL at a vocation flight school, unfortunately here in Oklahoma there are only 2 Part 141, one of which is a university that Id rather not do, and the other being rather expensive. Since I prefer not the attend the university, I will more than likely go with the expensive vocational. The VA would require that I dual enroll in instrument and commercial. How would those two over lap, since I don't know their syllabus can they flow together, taking a look at far part 141 requirements it look like there are some over lap For example in commercial aeronautical their is ?(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying,partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;? Second, can a 141 school syllabus be adjusted for the student or is it more complicated making it set it stone, I find more often than not that 141 schools, even though the min is 35, have their syllabus set for 50+ hours. I understand that they needs to maintain certain passing practical rates to maintain 141 status, if I need extra training, I have a buddy that I can fly with where the rental rate is at $50dry, which would be the same aircraft a 172r. I just don't want to be forced to rent at $185wet because it required in the syllabus . While also utilizing the max amount of simulator hours, being 50% for instrument and 30% for commercial. has anyone had any experience dealing with a situation like this before? Any recommendations?

Every 141 program is different but the one I used to work for we couldn't deviate much, we could shuffle some flights around in order but they still had to be done. We could offer some credit from outside training but it was limited.

Yes, if the syllabus requires X number of hours you have to have that.

The 141 syllabus requires a certain number of hours and training through them. There is, however, nothing stopping you from paying out of pocket and flying with your friend on the side for the learning aspect of it. The hours just won't count towards the 141 curriculum (they will of course count towards 135 and 121 minimums if that is your goal).

This same question has also been asked and answered on the AOPA board for those who also haunt there.

Unless there was a recent change, there is no VA requirement to be enrolled in a dual IR/Comm course.

Unless there was a recent change, there is no VA requirement to be enrolled in a dual IR/Comm course.
Not every 141 course is acceptable to the VA. Check to make sure any 141 course you're interested in enrolling has been approved for VA benefits. Never made sense to me that the VA needed to "approve" an FAA approved course. Every VA employee that I talked to was next to clueless about flight training and yet they needed to approve 141 courses before they would fund training.

My understanding may be a bit off. But, a 141 program must strictly follow AN approved syllabus, But not A approved syllabus. So, the school must process all the students IAW it's syllabus. That school's syllabus need not be identical to the school across the taxiway's syllabus.

Oh and then what @Witmo said. Even if it's an approved 141 school there are still VA hoops.

Not part of this discussion, but I think there are all kinds of interesting things about training foreign students, too.

but I think there are all kinds of interesting things about training foreign students, too.
Now if that's not a big clue that you fly in the same space as me, I don't know what is.

FYI; USAA is about to expand to 2 additional classes per year over the next 6 to 9 months. Really glad that construction on DTO's 2nd runway is underway. We're gonna need it

Back