Has anyone insured a complex aircraft as a student pilot?

LINCOLNPHILLIP

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LINCOLN PHILLIP ESQ
Per the topic, I am trying to purchase a low time 182rg to complete my pilot training and use to commute to my lake home. Does anyone have a source for insurance for a complex aircraft and student pilot. I have already been turned down by AVEMCO. I have been insured by AOPA renters coverage since 1997.
I don’t want to miss an opportunity to purchase this exceptionally low time aircraft that is local to me.

Somewhere around $3,000 for a piper Comanche when I was a student pilot.

I use Aviation Insurance Resources and they've always been good to me.

Call aircraft and marine assurance. They are a broker and will shop around for you. Might be best to Add your CFI to that policy as well. But regardless it isnt going to be cheap the first year. I got quoted $2600 for a v-tail bonanza as a 400 hour private with instrument with no complex time.

Probably better off going fixed gear
Not if it something he plans to keep. In Michigan there's a 6% gut punch everytime you buy a different aircraft, and the $1 Bill of Sale won't fly. If he can knock out 100 hours in it the first year the insurance will drop and in Michigan he's going to want the IR soon. Will probably only be a year or two of 'pain' before its normalized.

Yup, cost just over $6k with $90k hull value.

Somewhere around $3,000 for a piper Comanche when I was a student pilot.

I use Aviation Insurance Resources and they've always been good to me.

I second AIR - https://air-pros.com/ - they have helped me out many times over the year and I have referred several clients to them, all who saw a decrease in premiums for the same coverage. Ask for Victoria https://air-pros.com/victorianeuville/ , a fellow co-host with me on the Stuck Mic AvCast.

Also, paging @ahypnoz for any wisdom he may have about learning in and insuring a complex aircraft. Though not insured with AIR at the time, he bought a Comanche 180 to learn to fly, and I trained him in it for his Private and Instrument. As I recall, the insurance he was with at the time required 40 hours before he could solo (he was ready before that, so we kept going through the syllabus working on other things until he had the 40).

Reminds me I have to talk to her again because my insurance is coming due.

Bought a 1967 Mooney M20F, learning to train for PPL in it right now, added my flight instructor as well. I went with Halton Hall & Associates, Inc.
Insured for $70k cost is right at $4,025 annually.

Bought a 182RG before my husband and I finished private. Didn't even consider trying to finish up in it and finished at the flight school in a Warrior. Post private insurance was 5k/yr and we both needed 20 dual and 30 solo (or dual, to make 50 total) prior to carrying pax or each other. And this was in 2012. Finish your rating in something simpler The 182 is going to be a huge leap and will require many, many hours to even get to solo much less solo cross country. That is what I've told many of my students and it's given them greater success with fewer frustrations.

I have a friend that is a student pilot with a nice bonanza. His insurance is $6000 a year with no hull coverage. The first two insurance companies he called laughed at him.

Marry a high time pilot :)

My wife pretty much has every rating, endorsement except ATP. I think our insurance is around $850/yr with good hull value.

When we added the CFI and Flight school it went up abut $150/yr and we did that for 6 months total.

I started PPL at 0hrs in our 182 (okay , not complex). Our insurance went up.... $0 :) And it has never went up since, including solo and rookie PPL time afterwards.

I've always wondered if we had purchased a 182rg if it would have been the same.

I was a student when I bought my 1973 Cardinal RG. I used Joe Ruck at AIR Pros insurance and he was the only one that could find insurance for me. My hull value is $85k and I paid $2300 for my insurance.

AVEMCO wouldn't insure me, AOPA could not find a quote for less than $4000, and Falcon wanted $4300. Joe found a policy that worked great and I only paid $2300. Give him a call and tell him Lynn Dixon with N8971M sent you and see what he can find. Here is his contact information:

Joseph Ruck
Aviation Insurance Resources
805-341-5800
888-596-1440 Fax
jruck@air-pros.com

I'm with AIR also. My rate was ~$2300/yr as a student pilot about 5 yrs ago. Socata Trinidad, complex and HP. As I've built hours in type they've went down, I'm at ~$1200/yr now. Highly recommend AIR.

This is my agents information:

Carrie Marsh
Aviation Insurance Resources
301-682-6200 office
301-682-9793 fax
www.air-pros.com

No, but based on all but one of the premiums I was quoted having 450 hours but no complex time, you'd think it doesn't matter if you're a student or not. Just if you've got the endorsement and time in complex airplanes...

A third vote for AIR.

They insured me in my Aztec when I was working on multi-engine and after I had 100 hours total time in it, reduced the premium by 10%.

When I decide to get another plane, AIR will be the insurance people.

How long ago was it that all of you were insured by Air-Pros? After reading this thread I called them up and their best quote was $5,400 for a student with 87 total hours and 9 hours retract.

I am currently insured by them. Ask them when the premium drops are. It might be at 25 hours.
I was $949 at renewal last year.

I bought my policy in May of last year 2018. I had zero complex (retract), and zero time in model (177RG). My hull value was 85,000 and it's a million dollar policy. I also was a student with 100-ish hours, with 35 hours in the last 6 months.

Did you speak with Joe Ruck at Air-Pros?

I bought my policy in May of last year 2018. I had zero complex (retract), and zero time in model (177RG). My hull value was 85,000 and it's a million dollar policy. I also was a student with 100-ish hours, with 35 hours in the last 6 months.

Did you speak with Joe Ruck at Air-Pros?

Jon Shimer at Air Pros. Who is your policy through? Q Starr was the only one that bid on it.

Jon Shimer at Air Pros. Who is your policy through? Q Starr was the only one that bid on it.

Joe Ruck found my policy from "HARCO NATIONAL INSURANCE COMPANY" . Was right around 2400 for my policy. He had to do a lot of digging, but he found one that no one was able to beat, and so far they have been good to work with.

Joe Ruck found my policy from "HARCO NATIONAL INSURANCE COMPANY" . Was right around 2400 for my policy. He had to do a lot of digging, but he found one that no one was able to beat, and so far they have been good to work with.

Just emailed them the name, asking if they can look into it. Thanks.

I am friends with Victoria at Air-Pros, and from what she has told me, the insurance industry is noticeably tougher this year than even just last year. It's been harder and more expensive to find coverage for the more "unusual" situations, which yours falls into, apparently.

Insurance has changed a lot last 6-9 months, those of you who did this last year be very thankful you did.

3 days of them dealing with every single insurance company they could and the best so far is:
$4,600 year for 1,000,000/100,000/20,000 coverage $90k hull value

90k value is the kicker on that. If you had a 45k value you'd be down around twenty-six hundred bucks.

90k value is the kicker on that. If you had a 45k value you'd be down around twenty-six hundred bucks.

Nope, changed it about $300. They were originally only going to insure it for what they say was market which was $51k, even though not a single one can be found for that, so I had to show them receipts for avionics and provide engine overhaul, prop overhaul and new paint and interior dates. $70k in avionics just went in it last June.

If it was not complex it would be less than half.

Wow they are really expecting you to wreck it.

Don't know what the insurance situation was for the owner. I only asked that he was sure he would be happy with the insurance situation if something happened.
But I taught a guy a few years ago in a Bellanca Cruisemaster. I accused him of trying to get all the endorsements at once. It was Tailwheel, Complex, and High Performance.

Brian

Purchased a 182g recently to finish my PPL in. Insured through AOPA, no issues.

Back